[Archive] Replacing rulebook terrain things for the Dark Lands

Grimstonefire:

Reading through the different types of terrain it strikes me that most of them are quite fitting for the Dark Lands already.  Some of them seem inappropriate for the Dark Lands so I’ve written some.

River of Lava �?" Replaces River of Light

Dangerous Terrain.  Instead of suffering 1 wound per model for crossing there is a D3 wound multiplier for all units that fail.  Chariots retain the D6 wounds for failing.  Flammable units suffer an additional wound.

Razor Rocks �?" Replaces Fungus Forest.

Any unit that moves through the razor sharp volcanic rocks must roll for a Dangerous Terrain test.  However, instead of suffering a wound with no armour save they suffer a S5 wound (armour saves allowed).  A unit that does not move within the razor rocks does not need to take the test.

Any model within razor rocks can make a Thrown Weapon missile attack using the rocks around them.

Redhammer:

I think River of Lava should read a little more like “impassible terrain unless fire immune”. Maybe a different name, as I like the rules… maybe a boiling hot river?

I like the razor rocks- makes a fantastic defendable spot! It can give any melee unit that braves it a nice stand and shoot. It should be clear that it doesn’t count as a forest though, otherwise forest striders can walk right through. Or does it count as one?

nitroglysarine:

there is no fire immune in the new rules right? its just high saves vs fire attacks.

Thommy H:

excluding those that have the D6 multiplier
What does this mean?

Redhammer:

there is no fire immune in the new rules right? its just high saves vs fire attacks.

nitroglysarine
Good call! I was having a flashback to 7th there. Well, maybe models going into it take a wound, no armor save allowed, but it counts as burning. Then anyone could go into it with a ward save, but it's still a risky move. As it should be. It's a river of freakin' LAVA. ;P

Grimstonefire:

A chariot suffers D6 wounds if it fails. I’ll edit it to just say chariots.

Interestingly the rulebook does mention lava fields as being impassible terrain. That would be a simple rule to apply I guess. Not so fun as things burning up crossing it though. :frowning:

Thommy H:

Personally, I’d probably just make lava rivers Dangerous Terrain, but the hits count as Flaming.

Redhammer:

It just makes sense for it to be impassible… I mean, no matter how tough/agile you are, if you step in lava you’re in trouble! A giant would be in as poor a state to fight as a human would after dipping his foot in a river of magma! The rules might work for burning coals…

Maybe destruction aligned teams can sacrifice a rank to move through. This represents them pushing the unfortunate men to make a temporary bridge!

nitroglysarine:

how about cooling lava flows for damage, people might actually try and cross that, as parts of it are rock, but some are soft and lethal and could kill?

Grimstonefire:

Not that it matters terribly, but the issue I have with making it impassable terrain is that most people would anticipate being able to cross it (5 in 6 chance) and wouldn’t therefore have many crossing points built.

However, doing it this way I could say ‘Impassable Terrain.  Units forced to cross take D3 wounds for each 1 rolled in the Dangerous Terrain test.  Flammable units take an additional wound.’

Thommy H:

Or just make it Flaming, because that way units that have protection against Flaming Attacks will be lava-proof as well. The idea of a Hero wearing the Armour of Gahzrak just wading through unharmed is pretty cool…

Fequiil:

how about cooling lava flows for damage, people might actually try and cross that, as parts of it are rock, but some are soft and lethal and could kill?

nitroglysarine
yeah, that would justify a dangerous terrain test with flaming attacks really well!