[Archive] Returning to Monster Hobbies

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hello everyone!

The town of High River has announced that we can finally return to the business sector again. This will be the first time since the flood that I will be able to go into my store. I know I am going to see a lot of things I don’t want to see and I am going to have to take pictures of it all too. Hopefully the building will be coded as “Orange” and not “Red”…but it was one of the first buildings hit with the full strength of the flood waters, so who knows?

In case you don’t know about the flood, please check here - www.monster-hobbies.com

Well, I’m off to see it and take pictures. Wish me luck!

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Good luck! I know you guys were hit hard so I hope you don’t suffer the worst of it!!

gashnag:

Wishing you the best in the future and that the damage is at the minimum I hate to see people is this situation and small businesses even more because the loss can be more because it is your lively hood that is a stake not just your property so again wishing not just you but all of the small businesses and families that were hit by the flood

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Fun times are ahead!

This is the lineup to return to get the permits to return to the store.

Our street.

All the neighboring store’s glass broke. Our only broken glass was the already broken outer window pane on the double pane window.

We couldn’t get into the front door, so we had to walk to the back hallway through the clothing store.

The front of the store near the paint racks. Yeah…the wall colasped.

A shot of the area by our front desk.

There’s even more here : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.586548671368018.1073741848.163876670301889&type=3

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Honestly I expected more mud. You’re insured, right?

zobo1942:

Oh, man. I was in Alberta a month ago (Three Hills, Drumheller, Calgary) and everything was fine! So sorry this happened - I hope the clean up goes quickly and smoothly!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Thank you guys!

Here’s what I posted for the people that want to help me out : Finally finished cleaning my basement. Had to throw away so much insulation…but I did get to use my garden hose in the house. How cool is that?

Tomorrow we will begin cleaning up the store. This is going to be a tough job and I will need to think up a plan so that everything is done in an organized, orderly fashion. Keep in mind that EVERYTHING in there has a degree of contamination…high, medium and low. ALL store items MUST be isolated from other items until they are evaluated, cleaned, and de-toxified. I can’t even store them in my house until this is all cleaned up.

Another thing is that showcases are sitting on other showcases, upside-down and probably broken. We have to be careful and watch for broken glass…this is an “Enter at your own risk” situation and I can’t help you if you get cut…I might get cut too, so I’m under the same risk as you guys.

I also need to take a lot of pictures for the adjuster, so things NEED to be done properly and orderly. As much as everyone is “Gung-ho” to help, I have to be in control so that things don’t get “lost” in the shuffle and don’t get photographed and properly contained. These items NEED to be accounted for, so please listen to me when I say “Stop” or “Go” or whatever the case may be.

As far as “toxidity” of the store, even something that looks clean may not be. As an analagy…imagine flushing your toilet…now imagine flushing 2000 toilets…now imagine that it all ended up in my store. This is what we’re dealing with folks! These items NEED to be properly isolated and I will have some plastic tubs and bags for this. Please bring rubber boots, gloves, and your mask.

If you want to help out, please leave a post here between now and 8:45 am. I will head down to the store at 9:00 am.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Found this punched through the wall of the store :

Ironic…isn’t it?

Kera foehunter:

so sorry to here this Mr. T . Just when you start getting going once again :frowning:

Sticklander:

That’s some wrathful devastation right there. When seeing natural disasters like this on the news, I tend to forget about the implications on people who have businesses to run whose livelihood depend on them.

But think of it this way, come a month or two and this will all be a memory! :smiley:

… Which may just sound like naive optimism right now, as you shovel debris. But I hope all is returned back to normal soon, and I wish you the best of luck! :slight_smile:

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Thank you everyone!

Well, I discovered that only one of my Chaos Dwarf units survived the flood. I had over 3000 points in Chaos Dwarfs which I had broken into three armies for playing “Blood in the Badlands”. I put these armies into open top cardboard boxes, like the kind you get when you buy bottles of soda. Well, only 1 box survived because it was on a high shelf. Chaos Helga and her warriors survived. The other two boxes with my Earthshaker and Hobgoblin wolf riders, Lammasu and so on were wiped out. In fact, out of 25 Hobgoblin wolf riders, I found only 2. Tarrakk Blackhand and the nice “women” dwarfs Kera Foehunter gave me are also gone, as are the WW1 Germans, Americans and French/Romanian troops, and a set of Orcs I was painting for a customer. My entire WW2 Rapid-Fire Romanians, consisting of 96 men and 30+ tanks, trucks and other vehicles are reduced to 3 trucks and 1 tank. I did find a bag of spare men though, guys I was going to add to the army, but never did.

Willmark:

Insurance covered corecct?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

No…not covered. They are going to send me a letter of denial which I then take to the Government’s Flood Relief Program. In the meantime, I am in “Limbo” until I can return to the refurbished store.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

The local newspaper took a picture of me cleaning up the store and printed this :

Hard to believe that the Tiki Showcase, which was originally located where I am holding up the mug, fell face down, glass to the floor, and then moved along the edge of the opposite wall. (We had to stand it up again.)

Not a single Tiki Mug was broken in that, neither were the ones that were stored under the even heavier desk that flipped up face first.

By the way, my model of Tarrakk Blackhand that appears as my Avatar was also lost in the flood water.

Kera foehunter:

Hey sweetie let me know if you want a care package from me … I can send you more stuff

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Sure! Do you still have my address?

Kera foehunter:

in a few week i’m going to start some more female dwarfs/ chaos dwarfs i let you have the pick of the littler ok

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Thank you Kera! That would be awesome!