[Archive] Returning to Warhammer Fantasy, and Chaos Dwarfs

Draconis:

Sometime around 2003, I got the random insane thought to start up a Chaos Dwarf Army. Well, to put it bluntly, I went on a rampage buying up Minis. In fact, I cleared out Neal of the Warstores entire collection that he had, which included a ton of blunderbusses, warriors, bull centaurs, hobgoblin bolt throwers, earth shaker cannons, and even the old school Plastic Chaos Dwarf Warriors.

in Total, all added up, I had over 5000 points of Chaos Dwarfs.

Then came the move, and the lack of anyone to play with…back down to Texas. No Warhammer stores…no local gaming areas…nothing. My armies sat and gathered dust.

2 years ago, I moved up into Illinois to be with my Girlfriend. Some time ago whilst in the mall I saw they had a Games Workshop store, but remembering the insane prices associated with much of the hobby, and the fact that money was tight, I shrugged it off and didn’t care much.

Recently Stress got so high with everything that I had to sit down and think about things, and I came to the realization that I was not relaxing enough compared to other things.

Fast forward a bit. A conversation with my girlfriend lead me to realize that long ago, one of the things that I used to do that relaxed me, genuinely relaxed me and made me feel alive, was painting minis, listening to the radio and talking to my friend at the same time. In this vein of thought, I introduced the idea of playing Warhammer 40,000 to my girlfriend, because I was interested in Necrons. Being the Gaming Girlfriend she is, she agreed, and we both headed over to the store to see what we would like. Amazing to my eyes, she picked up Eldar, which are rock solid now.

So…now I am building things back up…and I am having my Chaos Dwarf Army returned to me as well as my Vampire Counts. 5,000 points of Enslaving, cruel, vicious, stunty blackpowder and axe wielding death ready to hit the battlefield.

So, that having been said…

It’s been since 2003 since I played Fantasy. I know 7th edition is out, and if I read things correct, Chaos Dwarfs are allowed in 7th ed, and they will eventually get an army book of their own.

The things I want to know is…what has changed since I’ve been gone? Last I heard, Wood Elves book was a glimmer in GW’s eye and was long from coming out. Now it’s out, a ton of new stuff, 7th edition rule book…Gods…Just what all have I missed?

~Laughs~ And gods…are the Red Shirts over at the Mall here gonna FREAK when they see a 2,000 Point Chaos Dwarf Army. ROTFL…gonna be fun.

Xander:

You are definitely in the right place! I look forward to your painted army!

AGPO:

Lol, I know what you mean, I was in a similar situation when I returned to the hobby. The worst development ou need to know about is that the minimum number in a rank to claim rank bonus has changed from 4 wide to 5 wide. There are a few other things - buildings now rock and add something to your game - think the farms at Waterloo and you’ll get an idea how crucial they can be

Draconis:

Thanks! I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Yeah, once I can get some photos up I will. I am not doing any Modifications to my army, as I want to preserve the old feel of the Minis. Most of my army has a dark boltgun metal scale mail look to them, but I did something interesting with the theme of my army dwarf wise.

The ‘Veterans’ of Combat are my warriors. To unify them I painted all of their beards a nice white. (We’re talking OLD Chaos Dwarfs), The leader of my army has a deep rich red beard. Bloody and Vicious he is. :slight_smile:

The ‘Younger guys’ Are all my blunderbuss units. 2 units of 20 each if I remember correctly. All of their beards were painted a lighter color, and not so white. I don’t remember what colors I went for though.

The units I remember having are as follows:

1 Chaos Dwarf Hero

1 Chaos Dwarf Lord

2 Chaos Dwarf Mages

1 Lord on Lammasu

Ton of Bull Centaurs. 2 units of 10 I think

Hobgoblin Wolf Riders

30-50ish Sneaky Gits?

20 Black Orcs

2 Earthshaker Cannons

1 Death Rocket

2 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers

40 Total Warriors in Metal

Forget how many Plastic Warriors

And other units I may have forgotten.

So 5 total to make a rank now huh? That is a big change. How does that affect our blunderbusses? I assume 4 makes a rank for equivalence of str purposes still?

AGPO:

Theres been a lot of discussion on that point, but I think as it states in the CD rules 4, that supercedes 7th ed rules until we here from GW otherwise. Its a change that really affects those with HoC armies in particular, but hey, we’ll just have to make do, is that a lord on Taurus or a Sorcerer lord on Lammasu btw?

Draconis:

Theres been a lot of discussion on that point, but I think as it states in the CD rules 4, that supercedes 7th ed rules until we here from GW otherwise. Its a change that really affects those with HoC armies in particular, but hey, we'll just have to make do, is that a lord on Taurus or a Sorcerer lord on Lammasu btw?

AGPO
If memory serves me, it was a Sorceror Lord on Lammasu. I usually don't use a Sorc lord. I usually use a Lord with the Black Hammer of Hashut, Gauntlets of Bazhrakk the Cruel, and the armor of Gazhrak. I'd then stick the lord in with a unit of warriors and run a Phalanx style line. Worked pretty well. 7 Strength and 4 attacks was very nice.

Besides, I found it rather fitting to have my Chaos Dwarf lord occassionally smacking the living fire out of his veteran troops.

After that, I'd usually load up on two or three Chaos Dwarf Sorcerors, all level 2s, and load them up on Dispel scrolls and have them use fire magic. My army was nasty to face. It was nice to be able to have such a melee centered character and then alot of magic to back up the army.