[Archive] RH Chaos Dwarf Warrior Equips

Doogle:

So, the way I am reading it, it says you can give the dwarf warriors GW, but it does not in fact replace the HW and shield. Usually it says specifically if so. Am I correct in this thought process?

So I can equip my warriors with HW, Sh, and GW, and have the ability to pick and choose?

Thommy H:

Yes. Every model in the game always has a hand weapon.

Bassman:

Yes. Every model in the game always has a hand weapon.

Thommy H
Quote!

As a matter of fact this gives a lot of flexibility to great weapons units.

You can use your shield and hand weapon in cases you prefer to have AS 3+ or you can use your great weapon if you need S5, for example if you got the charge...

Willmark:

Indeed as I’ve pointed out in Issue #3 of the Word of Hashut. Chaos Dwarf warrior units are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Sure the are not chaos warriors or tomb guards (insert fav elite infantry here). They are useful however for fixing a foe in place and then counter attacking.

And the ability to be able to switch weapons is a nice one.

Servius:

theres a 3 or so page conversation on this very topic… there were 2 sides to it…

Side 1: Warriors wielding GW are a Waste of points.

Side 2: Warriors wielding GW Warriors are a more versatile unit.

I personally am of side 2… but it really comes down to where you play and the various armies you play… Locally we have alot of armies that have ST 4 base and lots of TO 4, Chaos, Lizards, etc. so for me the GW are necessities really. Having ST 3 vs TO 4 usually equates to nothing or not much vs these armies… where as the GW assure that most of my hits actually wound the enemy. The negative… the lacking in saves. really at that point its almost moot… Usually im getting hit with either ST 4 with GW or ST 4 with a crap load of attacks… so having a 4+ against the massed attacks is nice but when im forced to take say 12 saves… i should expect alot of fails. and against the GW my 3+ would drop to a 6+ which is just as bad as nothing really.

But if you have lots of elves and man based armies in your area you could easily save the points on the GW… Personally i like being able to do both.

Mario:

A quick question on that, if one takes the GW, can he decided in each round what to fight with, or just for the whole fighting duration? Exp.; charge with GW then fight the next rounds with HW&Sh ? or charge with gw fight with the GW the next rounds?

Thommy H:

You pick at the start of the first round of combat and then you’re stuck with that weapon until the combat ends. Black Orcs are the only exception to this rule.

Mario:

Thanks for clearing that up. I learn quite a bit every time i play, just started out :slight_smile: Still, its a nice option to have.

And i think i shall be worried now, if my mate finds out (he plays dwarfs, i empire so far) i am in even more trouble :smiley:

Ronshank:

Disappear into dead computer land for a year or so and this is what you miss! Three questions.

One, if this is the case can I get away without converting my stunties into GW welding behemoths and

Two, Does this work like the armed to the teeth rule for Black Orcs?

Three, if I was to play this in a friendly tournament will it be considered legal as it does not technicly say that you are allowed to have both. This kind of stuff tends to lead to much eyebrow raising I’ve noticed. Thanks in advance for any carification

Thommy H:

One, if this is the case can I get away without converting my stunties into GW welding behemoths and

Ronshank
You can just give them hand weapons, yes.
Two, Does this work like the armed to the teeth rule for Black Orcs?
No. That's what makes Black Orcs special.
Three, if I was to play this in a friendly tournament will it be considered legal as it does not technicly say that you are allowed to have both. This kind of stuff tends to lead to much eyebrow raising I've noticed. Thanks in advance for any carification
There's nothing special about Chaos Dwarf Warriors: every model in the game always has a hand weapon. Any other model with a great weapon also has a hand weapon too. It's a standard thing.

Ronshank:

Thank-you Thommy H

I knew the always have a hand weapon thing…(I fight in close combat with BB’s and always have)

I had no idea I was allowed to buy a shield and pick and choose between using the hand weapon & shield or great weapon. This is going to drastically change my game.

So In clarification so long as I buy them both I can use both my shield or great weapon in the same game switching between the two (I thought I wouldn’t be allowed as GW take two hands and you would need a ‘spare’ hand to hold the shield)

If someone tried to use this on me I would complain hence the question. (Yes I am that winger who complained as the frenzied Chaos Knights, Juggernought etc laid in and I apparently couldn’t hit them either at all or only on a 6 because they were too strong on the chart, it seemed insane as it made some targets literally unkillable except on direct hit from my earth shaker, not cool hence my use of GW now)

Hashut’s Blessing:

You buy the great weapon, not the shield as they come with it as standard (Chaos Dwarf Warriors, that is, not everyone).

You can carry both and switch between combats, but not in an on-going combat. So, when they charge, you choose a weapon and you use that until you break apart, but next time, you can choose a different one if you want. The shields give you a bonus armour save against shooting as well, which can be enough to make sure that you remember them. If you need a fluff reason for them being able to hold everything, consider that they had to get there and likely wouldn;t have been holding their weapon the whole way: it was likely slung across their back.over their should/attached to their belt/carried by a hobgoblin etc, so why not in battle too?

As for your scenario with hitting Juggernaughts/Chaos Knights, you would only be able to hit on nothing but a 6 if they caused Fear (which they do) and you failed your test. It is irrelevant to their strength, which determines how easy it is to wound you when they hit you. Also, if you do mean that you were having 6s to wound the knights, then something’s awry because they have T4 and CDs have S3, so it should have been 5+.

Ronshank:

It was a while ago now but the force I played was fully decked out, quite an unfair 1000p list against a newbie, I have since learnt some lists are like that and truthfully most people would deck out their lists if they thought it could make them garanteed a win. A lot of rules that would have made a differance were ignored in that match too. Since then I’ve played quite a few more matches and learnt to read the rules book. (They said that the fear was automatic and I couldn’t find the rule. I wish I had of played those first 5 games in a gamesworkshop, thankfully my love of the CD’s was more than enough for me to keep going)

Thanks sooooo much for the clarification (I think I might be strapping some GW’s on the back of my busy little conversions)

Hashut’s Blessing:

I am not very pleased with your opponent for having said that it was automatic and taken such advantage of you, as a newcomer, for 5 games. Always keep the rulebook nearby and, if that opponent EVER says something, look it up. Mid-game if need be. No need to make you lose AND feel thick for his/her cheating.

I would suggest giving them their hand weapon and shield combo, or possibly replacing the hand weapon with GW and letting them hold their shield, that way it can be a HUGE hand weapon OR show that they also have shields…

cornixt:

The best thing about being a newbie is that you can insist on looking at the rules because you are still learning.

"Can you show me where that rule is so that I can check that I’m not missing anything next time?"

I used to play against people who thought it was okay to cheat if you got away with it. Made it pointless.