[Archive] RPGs

AGPO:

Well I thought we’d probablly better move this discussion out of the Gav interview thread. What are people’s favorite RPGs, any golden memories of classics such as CoC or Runequest.

Willmark:

I’ve always loved WFRP, AD&D, Star Wars, Twilight 2000 was a favorite as well. I’ve even written my own RPG but don’t have much time for it now.

AGPO:

We always wrote our own adventures which was the time-consuming bit, infinately more fun then buying them though, and it meant that when we did things like blowing up up Cambridge in Mage: The Ascention, it stayed blown up!

wallacer:

WFRP was and is a great game, especially now there are Chaos Dwarfs in it.

Call of Cthulhu ftw, though.

AGPO:

Haven’t played Cthulhu in years… I’ve never played WFRP, may give it a shot though. Can you feasibly have a Dawi’zhaar player character?

wallacer:

Can you feasibly have a Dawi'zhaar player character?

AGPO
yes, it wouldn't be that hard. There are stats and descriptions of them in the bestiary amd I believe also in Tomes of Darkness.

AGPO:

Could be worth a try then… realistically, how many books do I need to buy for a decent game?

wallacer:

Could be worth a try then... realistically, how many books do I need to buy for a decent game?

AGPO
The main rule book and probably the bestiary.
If you're planning on having CD you may want the Tomes of Darkness book and perhaps also the Sorcery book (unless you're planning on making up your own CD magic for it).

AGPO:

Thanks for the advice, will consider it but thats a lot of books on a student budget

Willmark:

We always wrote our own adventures which was the time-consuming bit, infinately more fun then buying them though, and it meant that when we did things like blowing up up Cambridge in Mage: The Ascention, it stayed blown up!

AGPO
Cool. For my game adverures are precisely the problem. No time to write them. The game itself is done : 350 page rulebook, 250 monsters in the monster book; 220 arcane spells for the wizards in their own book and 168 spells for faith spell casting, its expansive.

wallacer:

Thanks for the advice, will consider it but thats a lot of books on a student budget

AGPO
You could probably get by with just the main rulebook.

Malificant:

ravenloft, CoC, WFRP, Inquisitor(i actually like the system, just not the scale), and AD&D. we played spacehulk once using D&D rules…that was interesting.

im also a big fan of fantasy flight games. their quasi rpg boardgames are a blast, specifically descent and fury of dracula, along with Arkham Horror.

minty:

AGPO
You could probably get by with just the main rulebook.

wallacer
he's right there, I do, I just use regular dwarf rules for my dawi zharr, but then I can only get the basic book round here

I've tried D&D, but realy found it too dumbed down, but overly complicated, so I stuck with WHFR, man I wish the shops round ere had more role play things

Willmark: You should post your RP here

cornixt:

Ars Magica was pretty fun, although I turned into a powergamer everytime I played it and my character would subtley change into someone completely different as it progressed.

AD&D was good but had far too much chance. Furry Pirates was fun.

Canix:

A D&D wrote and DM 30yrs,Runequest,Gamma world ,Metamorphis is Alpha,Traveller,MERP Lotr,Call of Cthulhu ,Boot Hill,WFRP early,Tunnels and Trolls,Paranoia,Star Trek and some others

Not wasted my life at all:D less of a realist more of a Fantasist:P

wallacer:

Ars Magica is certainly the hardest game to DM that I ever ran.

Tallhat:

D&D(Forgotten Realms), The Masquerade, Star Wars D6, Via Prodensia and Ars Magica are my personal favorites I think though WFRP is quite nice too.

- Tallhat

Malificant:

i heard from my cousin about an RPG called rifts…anyone know about it?

Tallhat:

I know the name but I dont really know much else tbh.

- Tallhat

AGPO:

Inquisitor(i actually like the system, just not the scale),

Malificant
Inquisitor kinda runs the line between Table top wargame and RPG, but you're right the system rocks, only 40k based game I play anymore, since none of my mates play Epic