[Archive] Rune powered warmachine?

Grimstonefire:

I have been thinking a lot about this of late… :wink:

The basic idea behind the warmachine is that it is a relic from the ancient times, when Chaos Dwarfs were turning away from runes, but still had them on their warmachines.  No doubt there would have been a point where they experimented using rune power for evil.

So that was where the idea for this machine came in.  It doesn’t shoot any ammunition, but uses runic power much like the Anvil of Doom the dwarfs have.

I’ve got the main design of the chassis and ‘gun’ bit sorted, but I’m stuck how to represent the rune bit and the crew?

Should I build in a mini anvil and have a crew hammering away on it?  Or perhaps have some small rune pillar things with power lines connecting to gun?

I don’t want to go so far as to have all 3 CD crew striking away on their own anvils (like the tune they hammer out powers the machine), but if that was the only decent way to do it I guess I would.

Another idea was some sort of built in ‘self hammering anvil’, with hammers on mechanical arms hitting a techno anvil?

Thoughts or ideas?

Obsidian:

I always felt that the Chaos Dwarfs would still retain some knowledge about runes and use it to their advantage. It could be that some ‘dark runes’ would still appear on their magic weapons or on warmachines so you mentioning them now sounds great!

How about a warmachine operated by some Priests of hashut who by performing dark rituals could cause the machine to cast tremors towards the enemy battleline and make the ground burst open swallowing the enemy. Some initiative test like thing to escape the effects?

I’ll think some more about it and share if you’d like…

Grimstonefire:

That is pretty much the idea I had, except instead of the ground swallowing the enemy they would be blown into the sky as the earth explodes.

The thing I’m stuck on (using your example) is how the priest would actually work the machine?  Assuming the crew was 3 CD, who would do what?  I guess none of them need to actually be working the machine for my mini, but it might help me understand where to put levers etc.

Obsidian:

Good point. I guess the Priest would act as a leader giving out orders and lead the rituals needed to bring the machine to power/life. Two Acolytes are there to assist, make preparations placing the machine in the right spot and move it around. Maybe lending their strength in the Priest’s prayers etc…

Baggronor:

I’m pretty sure that in Grudgebearer the CD machines have ‘dark runes’.

I think if you are having dark rituals performed on or near the machine, then one crewman should be a Sorcerer/priest and be sacrificing/zapping/chanting on a prominent spot. The fluff about the temple of Hashut in the old CD book says they cut out victims innards and burn them, so maybe this could be ‘soul-ammunition’ like the Hellcannon?

If its a gun, maybe one crewman needs to aim it through some kind of sight/lens like the warp lightning cannon, or even be hooked up to the machine in a more matrix-like way? You could have some kind of chair built onto the back of the gun on a platform, with gears etc to rotate and aim the gun, maybe a bit like the Basilisk?

A loader crewman, hefting solid ammunition (maybe with screaming souls visible inside)? Or Hefting slaves onto the priest’s altar?

Maybe not even a gun at all, but some kind of monstrous seismic hammering machine that directs shockwaves under the ground at the enemy? :cheers

Swissdictator:

Perhaps create an Engineer, Rune weaver, or some cool character that ‘activates’ the runes? Building on what Baggronor is saying, or even just a warmachine upgrade. You buy a rune (or two) with the upgrade/character… or he grants certain abilities.

I like Baggronor’s matrix idea. I’d combine the profile of… symbiont and machine… to make it simple. Acolytes assisting him and moving him.

Baggronor:

symbiont and machine... to make it simple. Acolytes assisting him and moving him.
Or maybe even an ancient sorcerer, partially turned to stone, who has to be fitted into some kind of harness or throne by his attendants, and fires/powers the machine that way? Maybe he is the power source? You could have it as an upgrade for the Sorcerer Lord (like the anvil is an upgrade for a Runelord)?
This sort of idea could also be harnessed in other ways; maybe there are variants that are more like moving thrones/walkers? Maybe the Kollossus and other such CD machines can be powered like this, with an interfaced pilot, almost like a dreadnought but with a more arcane twist?

Hmm I wanna make it now :)

Grimstonefire:

I like the idea of an acolyte ‘hard wired’ in somehow, I will need to do some concept sketches.  The aiming mechanism is a good point, I hadn’t thought about that.  

I might consider using a stone sorcerer to power it, it’s not unusual for sorcerers in warhammer to bind themselves into machines.  I would consider this to be a special choice warmachine, which would imply this sort of thing was quite common.  I would be able to fit one lying down on the back… Perhaps I could squeeze a small anvil at the end  of his feet and position the 3 crew so they can all strike it with their rune hammers.

Swissdictator:

What if the machine effected magic dice somehow? Perhaps our equivalent of cauldron or warshrine?

Revlid:

Okay, I’ve seen your model/concept sketches for this warmachine, Grim, so I know what sort of thing you’re looking for.

1) Just one big stone rune (upright? On the floor?) with a Sorcerer-Crewman chanting/drawing flames around it.

2) An anvil. Fairly standard, replace the Dwarf runes with more Chaosy ones.

2.5) An anvil/bull’s head. An anvil in the shape of, or incorporating somehow, a golden bull’s head. With runes.

3) A daemon anvil. A daemon, excrutiatingly bound with chains into the rough shape of an anvil.

4) A big upright Dwarf rune (for Fire? Hate? Magic? Death?) with a sacrifice (Orc, Goblin or Dwarf) chained to it and obviously dead, with runes drawn in blood over their body (and the rune of Hashut carved into their chest?).

5) Back to the anvil - an Anvil of Doom-esque anvil, split in half down the middle with the insides glowing with heat, as though someone’s taken a lightsaber to it - from the split a pillar of flame flows upwards, curiously liquid in shape… Almost like a portal?

5.5) The above, but the flame is drawn/is being drawn toward the barrel-hole, like a wind is blowing it in that direction. This is probably the version where the warmachine is actually firing.

Grimstonefire:

I doubt you’ve seen the sketches of the one I’m building as I am still working it out myself at the moment!

I actually tried 3) ages ago with a bone giant’s head, back in the days when you could bitz order.

Number 2 is probably the closest to what I have in mind. This is going to be fun!!! :slight_smile:

BilboBaggins:

I always felt that the Chaos Dwarfs would still retain some knowledge about runes and use it to their advantage. It could be that some 'dark runes' would still appear on their magic weapons or on warmachines so you mentioning them now sounds great!

How about a warmachine operated by some Priests of hashut who by performing dark rituals could cause the machine to cast tremors towards the enemy battleline and make the ground burst open swallowing the enemy. Some initiative test like thing to escape the effects?

I'll think some more about it and share if you'd like...

Obsidian
Cool a Anvil doing Pit of Shades.

Maybe have it affect the whole unit instead of the small templet of Pit of Shades.

Kera foehunter:

well at least can we see your drawing Grims!!

Grimstonefire:

Maybe have it affect the whole unit instead of the small templet of Pit of Shades.

BilboBaggins
That is a really cool spell actually, I should take another look at the Lore of Shadows...

At the moment the only rules I have are basically firing like a cannon with an earthshake affect added on. One of the misfire results involves the small template.

BilboBaggins:

BilboBaggins
That is a really cool spell actually, I should take another look at the Lore of Shadows...

At the moment the only rules I have are basically firing like a cannon with an earthshake affect added on.  One of the misfire results involves the small template.

Grimstonefire
I use Lore of Shadows on my Sorcerer Lord. I even got the spell off against a target I shouldn't have tried it on (Tehenhauin who is I6) and he failed the test. 350 point Lord/General off the table on turn 1.

Here's an idea for it to work similar to the Anvil.

Run it during shooting phase.

Hits on 3+ (normal) or 5+(Hashut Power) You don't want it to be too powerful. Maybe have it go 2+/4+ or reroll if there is an extra assistant.

Misfires could use the Anvil misfire chart.

Rune 1: Hashut's :hashut Fire:
3+ Hits one unit/model with D6 S4 Flamming Attacks.
5+ Hits D3 units/Models with 2D6 S4 Flaming Attacks

Rune 2: Hashut's :hashut Pride
3+ Marches one unit forward (including charges) always moves march distance.
5+ Marched D3 units forward (including charges) always moves march distance.

Rune 3: Hashut's :hashut Revenge
3+ place small (3") templet on center of target. All models the templet touches have to take an Inititive test. Failed test model is removed NO SAVES ALLOWED.
5+ Place Large (5") center of target unit (or small templet on the center of D3 units). All models the templet touches have to take an Inititive test. Failed test model is removed NO SAVES ALLOWED.

Revlid:

I doubt you've seen the sketches of the one I'm building as I am still working it out myself at the moment!

Grimstonefire
What? You can't start a new machine if you haven't finished your Soul Reaper! That's what I assumed this thread was for - naughty Grim!

My idea (to keep it closer to a traditional warmachine, which is what you seem to be going for, as opposed to an "Evil Anvil") would be to use the (Light?) Cannon rules (with a different Misfire chart). Wherever the "cannonball" lands, apply a certain spell effect - Wall of Fire, Pit of Shades, Doom & Darkness/Drain Life, or Spirit of the Forge.

BilboBaggins:

My idea (to keep it closer to a traditional warmachine, which is what you seem to be going for, as opposed to an "Evil Anvil") would be to use the (Light?) Cannon rules (with a different Misfire chart). Wherever the "cannonball" lands, apply a certain spell effect - Wall of Fire, Pit of Shades, Doom & Darkness/Drain Life, or Spirit of the Forge.

Revlid
So you mean something like this.

If is doesn't misfire than roll a D6 for the effect on the spot where it lands

1. Wall of Fire: (Based on Lore of Fire: Wall of Fire Spell) Each model (including characters) in the unit�?Ts front rank suffers one automatic Strength 4 hit. As long as the spell is in play, if the target unit moves for any reason, every model in the unit suffers a further Strength 4 hit, and then the spell is automatically dispelled. If hits unit with a 360º line of sight, such as skirmishers, the Wall of Fire does not form and the spell causes 2D6 S4 hits. Ca be dispelled on a 12+ during opponents casting phase. This is a flaming attack

2. Distillation of Molten Gold: (Based on Lore of Metal: Distillation of Molten Silver) A squall of molten gold hits the target and causes 3D6 Strength 4 hits. This is a flaming attack.

3. Cavern of Shades: (Based on Lore of Shadows: Pit of Shades Spell) The ground falls away beneath the unit�?Ts feet.
All models in the target unit are automatically hit. Models hit must immediately take an Initiative test to avoid falling into the pit. If the test is passed, the model is not affected, but models failing this test are swallowed up by the ground and removed as casualties, regardless of any magical protection or special rules they may have. After this, the ground seals up and closes the pit, leaving no trace.

4. Starstorm of Hashut: (Based on Lore of Heavens: Comet of Cassandora Spell) This spell can be cast upon any fixed point on the tabletop. If successfully cast, place a suitable marker over the exact spot affected �?" a small coin is ideal for this.
For as long as the spell lasts, the player rolls a D6 at the start of each player�?Ts turn (i.e. at the start of his turn and at the start of his opponent�?Ts turn). On a score of 1-3 nothing happens, but place another marker on the first. On the score of a 4-6 the spot is struck by the comet. All units from either side that are within D6" multiplied by the number of markers already placed are struck by the comet. Each unit struck by the comet takes 2D6 Strength 5 hits. For example, if there are two markers in place and the D6 roll is a 4, all units within 4 x 2 = 8" are struck. A successful dispel neutralizes the spell completely and all counters are removed.

5. Drain Life: (Based on Lore of Death: Drain Life Spell) Each unit takes 2D6 Strength 3 hits. No Armour saves are allowed against a Drain Life. These hits are distributed exactly like hits from shooting.

6. Ground Swell: (Based on Lore of Life: Master of Stone spell) Shards of stone erupt from the ground and fly against the unit, inflicting 2D6 Strength 5 hits on the unit.

Other choices of effects could be:

Horror of Hashut: (Based on Lore of Dark Magic: Black Horror spell) All models in unit must pass a Strength test or suffer a wound, no armour saves allowed. Any unit that suffers one or more Wounds must immediately test for panic.

Glacial Barrier: (Based on the Lore of Ice: Glacial Barrier spell) A wall of Ice forms in from of the affected unit. Each model (including characters) in the unit�?Ts front rank suffers one automatic Strength 4 hit. This is treated as impassible terrain on blocks line of sight. The Glacial Barrier can be charged or targeted as if were as Unbreakable enemy model, and is automatically hit in close combat. It is automatically destroyed if it is hit by any attack of Strength 7 or greater (or by flaming attack). Otherwise it has 10 wounds at a toughness of 5.

I'm bginning to think a mortar/stone thrower rules might be better than cannon.

wallacer:

You could always just create an evil version of Stonehenge, sort of like in Halloween 3. Then have the sorceror in the middle standing in a stone pentagram or circle with arcs of lightning being pulled in from the surrounding stones.

Revlid:

You could always just create an evil version of Stonehenge, sort of like in Halloween 3.  Then have the sorceror in the middle standing in a stone pentagram or circle with arcs of lightning being pulled in from the surrounding stones.

wallacer
I like this. I imagine a octagonal base, with either brass pillars (Bull/Chaos themed) or Persian Tesla Coils at the corners (or alternating between the two). Then, in the center, you have the anvil (based off the Bone Giant's head sounds like a good idea. Or the split anvil, I still like that one), being beaten by a Daemonsmith/Sorcerer-Priest, while two attendants channel the energy into focused Chaos - with some of the effects described above (Starstorm sounds a bit odd - Hashut is more associated with thunder, if you wanted to use the Lore of Heavens).

Also, I had this problem when designing the Death Rocket for my list - a Cannon that doesn't count as "Bouncing" might as well be a Stonethrower that always scatters forward - it really is simpler that way, ruleswise.

Obsidian:

So I guess the question now is; when are you going to build it Grim?! :wink:

On another note this might be suitable for a future Artisans Contest, no?