[Archive] SAWS Challenge Tournament Day 2

tvandyke:

Game #4:  Ogres

His army consisted of one big block of Ogres with GW (10 or 12 strong), one big block of Ogres with HW/Shield (10 or 12 strong), 1 unit of 4 Mournfang Cav, 1 unit of Ogres that could scout (5 strong), the big moving cannon thing, 2 sabertusks, 2 Butchers, BSB and a Slaughtermaster.  This was my first game against the new Ogres and based on what every one was saying, I was worried I wasn’t going to stand a chance.  
     He got first turn, moved everything up (amazing how fast they feel they’re on top of you), the scouting ogres were threatening my whole left flank.  He used his cannon to take out my Magma Cannon.  On my turn, I moved my Destroyer to protect my flank from his scouting force and his Mournfang. I used my Deathshriekers to take out his big cannon (Did I mention how awesome these things are).  I tried the Ash Storm/Flames of Azgorh combo, but he scrolled the first and I failed the second.  
     On his second turn, he moved within charge distance with pretty much everything and actually charged my destroyer with his 5 man scouting force (I think he was sacrificing the unit hoping to get few wounds and finish it off with the Mournfang on his turn 3).  It didn’t work out.  I didn’t take any wounds, broke the unit and chased, but didn’t catch the unit.  On my turn, I charged that unit and caught it, but my destroyer was pretty far away from the main battle lines.  I was able to kill one of the Mournfang with the Deathshreiker combo.  In my magic phase I tried the Ash Storm/Flames of Azgorh combo again and it worked to perfection.  I killed 7 ogres outright.  He now had a unit with only 5 ogres and a butcher.  His other unit was still intact.  It was 10 strong with a butcher, bsb and the slaughtermaster.  I chose not to charge, in fact I backed up my IG units hoping he’d fail his charge that I knew was coming.  
     His 3rd turn.  He charged his Mournfang into the Destroyer (I was worried he’d leave it alone and move his unit into the flank of my IG since the destroyer was a turn away from getting back into the fray).  It didn’t work out well for him.  Destroyer won the combat, broke and ran down the unit.  He charged both of his ogre blocks (one of which was a lot smaller) into both of my IG units, but only the smaller block made it (into my IG with the bsb), the big scary block failed.  I won combat and broke the unit, but didn’t catch it.  On my turn 3, I charged the fleeing unit and caught it.  I moved my Destroyer into position for a turn 4 flank charge into his big unit.  I then tried for the 3rd time the Ash Storm/Flames of Asgorh combo.  He dispelled Ash storm, but I got off the FOA, rolled another hit, and killed 6 ogres including his BSB (he failed his look out sir).  I killed another with the Deathshriekers and he conceded.  Big Win for the Chaos Dwarfs.

Game #5:  Vampire Counts

His list was very similar to the first army I played but he had a Terrorgheist instead of the Vargheist unit and a big block of Grave Guard instead of the Black Knight bus.  He was also using a unit of Ethereal Cavalry instead of Spirit hosts. He had a big block of Skeletons, Ghouls (no zombies) and the Mortis Engine.  His Vamps and Necros were all in his Grave Guard block.  
     I got first turn (was this the first time all tourney where I went first?).  I aimed my Destroyer towards his ghouls (it was a 400 point unit and it seemed to work well in the first game).  My Taur’ruk left the bull unit so that he could intercept the Hexwraiths in case they tried getting to my destroyer.  I rolled low for magic, had enough for a fireball and killed 3 of the 6 hexwraights.  I misfired my Magma cannon, re-rolled it and miscast again but at least it didn’t blow up.  I focused both my Deathshriekers on the Terrorghiest.  Two direct hits, two failed regens, but only 5 wounds, damn, one wound left.  On his turn he moved everything up, tried to scream at the Destroyer with his Terrorghiest but was 9" away instead of the 8" he needed.  
    On my turn two, I charged the Terrorgheist with my Taur’ruk.  I thought I could get a single wound and finish it off.  I moved my Destroyer closer to the ghouls.  In my magic phase, I cast ash storm on the Mortis Engine, then hit it with a 2d6 fireball, caused 4 wounds, that turned into 8.  When the mortis engine dies, it explodes in some way causing 3d6 (maybe it was 2d6) S2 wounds to everything within 12".  The last two Hexwraiths died and against all odds, the Terrogheist took 2 wounds (he rolled 11 hits, 2 wounded and he failed one of his regens) which finished it off.  My Taur’ruk didn’t even get to fight.  On my remaining turns, I basically ate the rest of his army.  With all the big stuff out of the way, I was able to use my deathshriekers template weapons and magic on the rest of his units.  By the time my IG got into combat with them, it was all over.  The destroyer ate the big ghoul unit, then helped out finishing the Grave guard.  My bull unit helped finish his skeletons.   It’s the only time in 20 years playing this game that I remember actually killing every model against undead.  Very big win for the Chaos Dwarfs and a very nice Sunday.  

I finished with 67 (out of 100) battle points and ended up 27th in the tournament.  Not great, but not bad either.  My soft scores were decent.   I definitely need more practice with the army.  The Deathshriekers killed something big every single game and in some cases killed multiple big things.  I very rarely had the opportunity to use the template since everyone had something big to shoot at (the dwarf player just had other war machines, but they’re still a great target for the single S8 shot).  The Magma Cannon was just mediocre.  It would have been great against the ogre army but got taken out in the first turn.   I put Hellbound on the magma specifically thinking the magic shooting would come in handy.  It helped a little, but I wonder if it was worth the 25 points.  The Bull Centaurs were just okay.  I’m thinking they’d be just as good without the Taur’ruk and maybe add the flaming banner (lots of trolls, plaguebearers around).  Either that or replace them with Fireborn.  I’ll probably drop the Taur’ruk, maybe one of the Deathshriekers (makes me sad since they were my MVP’s) and try out the Iron Daemon.  That way I’ll have my Daemonsmith only manning two war machines instead of 3 while my 3rd war machine (Iron Daemon) is down getting dirty with the troops.  I’m thinking that if I just put it smack in the middle of my two IG units that the whole charging in a straight line thing won’t be much a problem.  The ID should be able to respond to anything attacking the IG.  I think the Lore of Hashut is amazing and works really well with flaming attacks from the rest of the army (Fire magic and war machines).  I’m not changing a thing from that perspective.   Lore of Hashut on my Prophet and Fire on my Daemonsmith was perfect.

tvandyke:

Game #4:  Ogres

His army consisted of one big block of Ogres with GW (10 or 12 strong), one big block of Ogres with HW/Shield (10 or 12 strong), 1 unit of 4 Mournfang Cav, 1 unit of Ogres that could scout (5 strong), the big moving cannon thing, 2 sabertusks, 2 Butchers, BSB and a Slaughtermaster.  This was my first game against the new Ogres and based on what every one was saying, I was worried I wasn’t going to stand a chance.  
     He got first turn, moved everything up (amazing how fast they feel they’re on top of you), the scouting ogres were threatening my whole left flank.  He used his cannon to take out my Magma Cannon.  On my turn, I moved my Destroyer to protect my flank from his scouting force and his Mournfang. I used my Deathshriekers to take out his big cannon (Did I mention how awesome these things are).  I tried the Ash Storm/Flames of Azgorh combo, but he scrolled the first and I failed the second.  
     On his second turn, he moved within charge distance with pretty much everything and actually charged my destroyer with his 5 man scouting force (I think he was sacrificing the unit hoping to get few wounds and finish it off with the Mournfang on his turn 3).  It didn’t work out.  I didn’t take any wounds, broke the unit and chased, but didn’t catch the unit.  On my turn, I charged that unit and caught it, but my destroyer was pretty far away from the main battle lines.  I was able to kill one of the Mournfang with the Deathshreiker combo.  In my magic phase I tried the Ash Storm/Flames of Azgorh combo again and it worked to perfection.  I killed 7 ogres outright.  He now had a unit with only 5 ogres and a butcher.  His other unit was still intact.  It was 10 strong with a butcher, bsb and the slaughtermaster.  I chose not to charge, in fact I backed up my IG units hoping he’d fail his charge that I knew was coming.  
     His 3rd turn.  He charged his Mournfang into the Destroyer (I was worried he’d leave it alone and move his unit into the flank of my IG since the destroyer was a turn away from getting back into the fray).  It didn’t work out well for him.  Destroyer won the combat, broke and ran down the unit.  He charged both of his ogre blocks (one of which was a lot smaller) into both of my IG units, but only the smaller block made it (into my IG with the bsb), the big scary block failed.  I won combat and broke the unit, but didn’t catch it.  On my turn 3, I charged the fleeing unit and caught it.  I moved my Destroyer into position for a turn 4 flank charge into his big unit.  I then tried for the 3rd time the Ash Storm/Flames of Asgorh combo.  He dispelled Ash storm, but I got off the FOA, rolled another hit, and killed 6 ogres including his BSB (he failed his look out sir).  I killed another with the Deathshriekers and he conceded.  Big Win for the Chaos Dwarfs.

Game #5:  Vampire Counts

His list was very similar to the first army I played but he had a Terrorgheist instead of the Vargheist unit and a big block of Grave Guard instead of the Black Knight bus.  He was also using a unit of Ethereal Cavalry instead of Spirit hosts. He had a big block of Skeletons, Ghouls (no zombies) and the Mortis Engine.  His Vamps and Necros were all in his Grave Guard block.  
     I got first turn (was this the first time all tourney where I went first?).  I aimed my Destroyer towards his ghouls (it was a 400 point unit and it seemed to work well in the first game).  My Taur’ruk left the bull unit so that he could intercept the Hexwraiths in case they tried getting to my destroyer.  I rolled low for magic, had enough for a fireball and killed 3 of the 6 hexwraights.  I misfired my Magma cannon, re-rolled it and miscast again but at least it didn’t blow up.  I focused both my Deathshriekers on the Terrorghiest.  Two direct hits, two failed regens, but only 5 wounds, damn, one wound left.  On his turn he moved everything up, tried to scream at the Destroyer with his Terrorghiest but was 9" away instead of the 8" he needed.  
    On my turn two, I charged the Terrorgheist with my Taur’ruk.  I thought I could get a single wound and finish it off.  I moved my Destroyer closer to the ghouls.  In my magic phase, I cast ash storm on the Mortis Engine, then hit it with a 2d6 fireball, caused 4 wounds, that turned into 8.  When the mortis engine dies, it explodes in some way causing 3d6 (maybe it was 2d6) S2 wounds to everything within 12".  The last two Hexwraiths died and against all odds, the Terrogheist took 2 wounds (he rolled 11 hits, 2 wounded and he failed one of his regens) which finished it off.  My Taur’ruk didn’t even get to fight.  On my remaining turns, I basically ate the rest of his army.  With all the big stuff out of the way, I was able to use my deathshriekers template weapons and magic on the rest of his units.  By the time my IG got into combat with them, it was all over.  The destroyer ate the big ghoul unit, then helped out finishing the Grave guard.  My bull unit helped finish his skeletons.   It’s the only time in 20 years playing this game that I remember actually killing every model against undead.  Very big win for the Chaos Dwarfs and a very nice Sunday.  

I finished with 67 (out of 100) battle points and ended up 27th in the tournament.  Not great, but not bad either.  My soft scores were decent.   I definitely need more practice with the army.  The Deathshriekers killed something big every single game and in some cases killed multiple big things.  I very rarely had the opportunity to use the template since everyone had something big to shoot at (the dwarf player just had other war machines, but they’re still a great target for the single S8 shot).  The Magma Cannon was just mediocre.  It would have been great against the ogre army but got taken out in the first turn.   I put Hellbound on the magma specifically thinking the magic shooting would come in handy.  It helped a little, but I wonder if it was worth the 25 points.  The Bull Centaurs were just okay.  I’m thinking they’d be just as good without the Taur’ruk and maybe add the flaming banner (lots of trolls, plaguebearers around).  Either that or replace them with Fireborn.  I’ll probably drop the Taur’ruk, maybe one of the Deathshriekers (makes me sad since they were my MVP’s) and try out the Iron Daemon.  That way I’ll have my Daemonsmith only manning two war machines instead of 3 while my 3rd war machine (Iron Daemon) is down getting dirty with the troops.  I’m thinking that if I just put it smack in the middle of my two IG units that the whole charging in a straight line thing won’t be much a problem.  The ID should be able to respond to anything attacking the IG.  I think the Lore of Hashut is amazing and works really well with flaming attacks from the rest of the army (Fire magic and war machines).  I’m not changing a thing from that perspective.   Lore of Hashut on my Prophet and Fire on my Daemonsmith was perfect.

Vogon:

Thanks that was a really well written report with some nice little pointers of what works and what doesn’t

I think I may have to treat myself to a couple of deathshiekers :slight_smile:

Cheers

Vogon

Pumpavius:

Cool battle report!

Congratulations on killing all the undead models, I know is a hard task!

Thank you for the pointers on wich unit worked for you and wich one did not.

brotsorrow:

Wow, you had a lot of wins to finish 27th. Do you know what army won or a top 5 list? What could you have improved on with your soft scores? None the less - congrats!!! And I agree with the last two comments - great battle reports!!!

tvandyke:

Wow, you had a lot of wins to finish 27th. Do you know what army won or a top 5 list? What could you have improved on with your soft scores? None the less - congrats!!! And I agree with the last two comments - great battle reports!!!

brotsorrow
Top 10:
1. Chaos Warriors
2. Lizardmen
3. Skaven
4. Chaos Daemon
5. Chaos Daemon
6. Chaos Warriors
7. Skaven
8. Empire
9. Chaos Daemon
10. Chaos Daemon

I got 25 out of 30 on paint (using a mixed army of old big hats and new FW models, so it's in the transition phase), which was tied 3rd best score. 27 points was the highest. I got 30 out of 40 for composition and 25 out of 30 for Sportsmanship. The sportmanship was just above average, while the comp was a little below. I finished 29 points below the winner of overall. Based on those scores, I supposed I could improve comp a bit, but most of the difference was really just battle points. The winner of tournament got 90 battle points, same sports as me (25), better comp (34) and better paint (27). The winner of the Players Choice award was another Chaos Dwarf army (Alex Harrison), so that was cool. I believe he's a member on this site.

khedyarl:

No Dark Elves or undead in the top ten, that’s actually pretty surprising.

tvandyke:

No Dark Elves or undead in the top ten, that's actually pretty surprising.

khedyarl
Top Dark Elf was 11th. Top Vampire Counts was 20th.

brotsorrow:

Thanks for posting that info bro. Thats an interesting list. Im surprised to see so many chaos armies up there, especially the lizardman army… That army though, has a lot of flexibility.

Again congrats on your strong placing, and to the other chaos dwarf army general

Baggronor:

When the mortis engine dies, it explodes in some way causing 3d6 (maybe it was 2d6) S2 wounds to everything within 12".
It's 2D6 hits within 2D6 + the turn number at a strength equal to the turn number iirc. Only used one once.

The hits are also not magical RAW. It's one for the faq.
No Dark Elves or undead in the top ten, that's actually pretty surprising.
No, it isn't, not anymore. VCs are very balanced now, barring ghost spam. DEs are much less scary these days, the 8th ed books have the tools to deal with them. Most places comp the Pendant/Crown combo and once people (finally) get their head around stopping the Charge->6 dice Mindrazor 'tactic', DEs are fine.
Ogres are the new DEs imo ;) Poisoned, sniping Maneaters are appalling.

Nice to see CDs putting in a good show.

khedyarl:

Yeah, that was a bit of a surprise when six Maneaters blasted holes in my Daemonsmiths.

Caine:

I read your 2 posts and I must say, good work mate! Great read but I must say you had really nice dice. For your war machines not to blow up a single time on 6 games!! My engines of destruction usually is more volatile to myself then to my enemy :smiley:

drakkzharr:

Thanks for sharing! :cheers

It’s great to see that chaos dwarfs are getting more and more accepted in the tournament scene. I still have to convince my local club.

Ender SpiteSworn:

Great Report Tom!

Well as mentioned by Tom, I went to this tourney as well and I had a great time.  It was awesome getting peoples feedback on my army. The Chaos dwarves are still a bit of a novelty and draw a lot of attention. Tom�?Ts army looked great and he had a fantastic lava effect going on the base of this Destroyer.

So I don�?Tt have  battle reports as good Tom did, but I can summarize each game, and I suppose here is as good a place as any. . . .

First off,  most people did not know much about our army.  I had a lot of explaining every game, which was kind of a drag.  I don�?Tt like people feeling frustrated because they don�?Tt know anything about your army.

My List (2500 pts):

Heroes:

General : Demon Smith lvl 2 (Metal),  dispel scroll, dragon helm, luck stone, iron curse icon

Demon Smith Lvl 1 (Death)  Ruby Ring, Sceptor of Stability

Castellan BSB: Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation,  biting blade

Khan �?" wolf, spear, LA, charmed shield

Khan �?" wolf, spear, LA, shield

Core

18 Infernal Guard , Great Weapons, FC, Banner of Discipline

16 Infernal Guard, Hell Glaves, FC

30 cutthroats, Shields, banner + Muso

Special

4 K�?Tdaai fireborn, manburner

Magma Cannon

Death Shrieker

Iron Demon (Hell Bound)

Rare

K�?Tdaii Destroyer

Game one (battle for the pass) was against a balanced empire list, Lvl 4 life, steam tank, bit unit of cav w/grandmaster, greatswords, cannon, hell blaster.  Took this game pretty easily, Destroyer wracked up 70 killsworth of state troops. My poor opponent�?Ts lvl 4 life mage blew up on Turn 1, so that helped.  Highlight was when his Steam tank dialed up 5 points and plowed into the Iron Demon, to cause one wounds, silly humans and their tin foil gadgets.    My opponent did have some fun the last turn, he one diced spirit leach and killed the destroyer, regardless it was a big win for me.

Game Two (Atrrition) was against a tournament veteran and his VP denial Wood Elf list.  This guys has won at least one major tournament with this list before.  It is an all mounted list (well one alter kin) mostly glade riders, lotsa heroes.  He goes around shooting and tries to win by 100 vps, using regrowth to resore his 10 strong glade rider units.  There was only one combat all game, in which my K�?Tdaii fireborn ate some wild riders.  This was an interesting problem to solve.  I was herding him around and had to keep moving my warmachines, The iron demon was a star, blasting eagles (and riders) out of the air.  I had him by around 400 VP�?Ts, but he had the last turn, which he used it to his advantage, Dwelered my Magma cannon, shot some more stuff, and my Destroyer failed a T, test.  The special rules for this scenario were ½ VPs for units at half strength (or wounds)�?�. So he got me back down to a draw, drat.

Game 3  ( Dawn Attack) was against the eventual tournament winner.  He had a solid WoC list. Tzentch and nurgle.  It was dawn attack so I was a bit scattered for the deployment, not to mention mentally exhausted from last games chess match.  His money maker was 9 Knights (tzencth ) with a BSB on a jugger.  That block charged down a hill into my destroyer, and generated enough combat res to put 3 wounds on him…I eventually got my IG greatweapon block into the flank, but he kept making all of his armor saves.  I killed his BSB and some knights, but all the IG were killed (he got a  warrior block got into my flank_.  My BSB had 2 shots at an 8 to stay, and I failed.  I fI would have stayed my Iron demon would have hit the back of the knights.  Not a lot happened elsewhere�?� Hobgobs killed 10 maulraders on hourses. Iron demon splintered some chariots.  K�?Tdaii tied up a hellcannon (they died the last turn).  I lost by 300 ponts or so.  Another good fun Game.

Next Day

Game 4 (Magic Flux) I played a relatively soft Dark Elf list, lotsa shooting, Spear block, black guard, 39 executioners.  Sadly failed my first 4 toughness tests and failed 5 total, what are the odds?.   Destroyer took 3 wounds each time, died before touching anything.  One fireborn made it into some Dark Elf crossbowmen, killing them �S  he overran off the board, come on in Turn 6, failed a toughness test and died�?�   So this one was a challenge . . . one thing that would have made a huge differencre is that I had his black guard + arch mage lined up in Turn 2 for a charge with my destroyer, and he fled (behind another unit) and I failed my redirect.  Few turns later I realized he was ITP, there was no malice on his parts, I�?Tm sure he just forgot. But Wiping out those balck guard would have probably won me the game.  I did get a magma cannon shot through the flank of the executioners. There was only 2 of those guys left a the end of the battle. I got cocky with my iron  demon and actually lost him to the executioners (there was a tooled up witch elf with poisen in there too).  I had a couple chances to even things up,  but failed all my saves on two wounds to my BSB on the last turn, so I lost big. Chalk this one up to really bad luck, and me remembering who can�?Tt flee  (can�?Tt believe I missed that).

Game 5 (King of the Hill) was a verse another pretty standard WoC list.  The player was really new but his list was OK.  The knights were in 2 blocks of 5 though, and there was a lord on juggernaught.   A few searing dooms later this guy was in big trouble.  His hellcanon misfired and charged my destroyer, that took my nearly 2 rounds of combat to kill! :wink: .  He killed my hobgoblin block (or should I say road block), but I had him tabled bottom half of turn 4.

So I went 2-2-1, 60 out of 100 Battle points , and finished 34th out of 65.  Not too shabby, had a great time. I�?Tm new to the chaos dwarves and only had a few practice games with my list (or any CD really), so I�?Tm pretty happy with my performance.  I was in all the games and even was a road stop on the winner�?Ts path to glory.  The last few years I have been running Wood and High elves at tournaments. I�?Tve got to say  It has been an absolute joy having t4 troops with armor saves and getting to lay those templates down for shooting�?�.CD are awesome!

Here are some conclusions I have after my first tournament with the Chaos Dwarves.

I will Switch my Artillery baby sitter to fire, he hardly ever got to cast anything.    Death worked pretty good in the couple of practice games (just for spirit leach), but the k�?Tdaai pushed everyone out of range.

I thought the 2 units of artillery were plenty, combined with the iron demon shooting and the engineer re-rolls  I wracked up a pretty high body count.  In the future I will always shoot the most useful one first (depending on opponent) to better save me from a misfire, usually the Magma cannon, that way I won�?Tt feel conflicted about re-rollwing the scatter on the shrieker

The Iron Demon was awesome, the shooting took out (amoung other things) �?" 4 wounds on a steam tank, Eagle , Eagle riding noble, alter kindred lord,  2 chaos chariots, Chaos lord on Blood crusher.  Only died once and forced my opponent to move around a lot.  Its really amusing you point him and units scatter.

Destroyer Died twice and was below half wounds 4 games�?�.

Two Khans on wolves worked really well. I may add more�?�.

I�?Tm happy with my low magic approach, By  really always wanting the default spells, I have low casting values, can plan a good strategy around the spells I know I will have, and don�?Tt really care about not having a lot of dice in the magic phase (or losing a wizard).

30 man strong hobgoblins was a great useful unit

The K�?Tdaai fireborn usually die by the end of a battle, they are somewhat usefull, not sure what a great points value they are, But I like my conversion so they are going to stay,  8 of them would a better unit.  But I�?Td need to drop something else�?�.  

Didn�?Tt get much use out of the Hellglaives, but they did keep the heat off my warmachines, and I like the models so they are going to stay

I had a Hard time with the speed differences in my list, my K�?Tdaai need to push forward ASAP.   But that tends to push things away from my artillery and had to move them a few times,  I should do better with some more practice

I would like to use a lord but fielding the 2 units of kdai, iron demon, and artillery pretty much rules it out.   The low magic list is nice as mentioned above, but   I may try swapping both demon smiths for the lord, but the big drawback there is I would need to leave him guarding the warmachines.

I will be taking these guys to a 100+ tourney in July (as will Tom I think), so we�?Tll see if we can climb the rankings�?�

tvandyke:

Good report Alex. I’d definitely recommend that you choose fire magic for you war machine sitter Daemonsmith. It’s the only spell line we can choose that has a default spell that can cause damage from 24", 36", or 48" away, so it’s great being able to target the same things that your war machines are also probably focusing on. In addition to the distance increases, the damage output also increases (D6, 2D6, 3D6 S4 hits). As you saw in my game #5, I used a Fireball to kill his Mortis Engine. There were many times during the tournament that I found my Lore of Hashut to be out of range of something so just used all my dice on my Level 1 and just cast a huge fireball at something. 3D6 S4 hits isn’t something to sneeze at. It’s not quite as easy to get the big one off (think you need 18+) with a level 1, but if you throw 6 dice at it, you can usually get it off. It also has great synergy with Ash storm. Cast Ash Storm on a unit of trolls, then follow that up with even a 2D6 S4 fireball (only need a 10+) and you can kill quite a few trolls with the double damage.

Da Crusha:

Hi Alex, I’m Efren, the other Chaos dwarf player at saws. I will also be at QCR with my Chaos Dwarfs. I guess since both of you guys are putting up your battle reports I will do the same. it will only help us get better lists.

My army list

1 Sorcerer Prophet (General)

Level 3 death wizard

talisman of preservation

Enchanted shield

Blood of hashut

Dark Castelan (BSB)

armour of bazherak the cruel

Great Weapon

Deamonsmith Sorcerer

Level 1 Fire

dispel scroll

Hobgoblin Khan

Giant Wolf

light armour shield spear

Core

30 CD Infernal Guard fc

29 CD Infernal Guard fc

20 Hobgoblin Cutthroats mus

20 Hobgoblin Cutthroats mus

Special

4 K’daii Fireborn

1 Magma Cannon

1 Magma Cannon

Rare

1 K’daai Destroyer

I got a 26 out of 27 on composition and wrote my list to get a good score on that, unfortunately I felt it was too soft and would like to make it meaner next time. I went 1 win 2 ties and 2 loses.

Game 1

I went against ogres. I approached slowly and letting my magma cannons shoot a few times. I killed a few maneaters with my first few shots and then charged them with my destroyer. he ripped them to shreds. my HG hero was a bit out of place for this battle as the only war machine was a big rhinox cannon so he went after sabretusks. one hg unit was just on fleeing duty to get more shots off, the other charged the big block of ogres supported with other ogre characters, in an attempt to hold them for a turn so they wont get a charge on my destroyer but that was a mistake. theogre unit won combat and restrained pursue to face the flank of the overrun destroyer. as my cd blocks approached his main ogre block they watched as the destroyer was hacked to death. on the other flank the 4 fireborn were destroyed by 2 single ogre units of rhinox riders. the rest of my army was easily overran.

game 2

this game was against skaven. this game was ablast and was super close. the destroyer was ripping up guys all over. the khan immediately charged his warp lightning cannon of the board. lots of bloody mess in the middle. the magma cannons torched his abom but not before the abom took out the fireborn. my hobgoblins actually beat a unit of slaves by getting a front/flank charge unfortunately the slaves blew up causing more havoc. his grey seer cast the 13th spell wiping out 21 of my cds in a single shot and then cast it again the next turn wiping out the remaining of the unit with my lord and BSB but also miscasting killing himself and his own BSB. we ended the game with a 30 something point split.

game 3

this was against an empire army. my opponent was very worried about the destroyer and kept talking about how op it was he was actually a big downer and immediately sucked out all the fun in the game. my army was mostly deployed in the center and the right flank his opposite except for his steam tank. my destroyer marched straight toward the steam tank. the tank fired and couldnt wound it. on turn 2 the destroyer failed a T test and took 3 wounds then failed a charge against the tank. again the tank’s shot failed to wound the destroyer. turn 3 the destroyer failed the T test again and caused 3 wounds and killing itself. my magma cannons were killed by a pegasus hero. his army quickly over took my army after that. we received front and flank charges all over. I should have fled but since my opponent was no fun I just chose to take the slaughter.

game 4

another game against empire. this one had 2 units of the new gryphon knights, 3 and 4. the unit of 4 had the flaming banner and received a charge from the destroyer. they broke immediately and died. my magma cannons were cooking knights left and right. on my left flank my khan attempted to divert the other gryphs and instead slingshoted them closer to the cannons. luckily they ended up with the flank exposed to my cd block and were chased off the field. the hgs were on fleeing duty and kept that up the whole game. my cds ended up getting front and flank charges on his last unit of knights which consisted of mostly characters. we ended up sitting there turn after turn with out doing any wounds to each other. finally his tank caught up and charged one my cd blocks but we held. we won this one and the cannons were the MVPs of this game.

game 5

this game was against Wood elves oddly enough. it was a tree themed army. with 7 or so units of 10 dryads. a really big unit of treekin, 12 I believe, worth 7 or 800 points he said. a treeman, a hero on war eagle with a great weapon and a 2+ ward against fire and a lord level sorcerer with lore of beasts. so as the game starts I get first turn where I march my blocks to try to capture the hill as the scenario called for. he brings the eagle in towards the magma cannons. I immediately charge the eagle with my khan. the khan fought feverishly for at least 4 combats before perishing. the fireborn came in and fought with some dryads and luckily his eagle decided to support that combat. my fireborn ended up breaking the dryads and the eagle w/hero flew off the field. my magma cannons were tearing apart the treekin bringing it down to 5. then the unit seeking shelter charged my unit of cds. the deamonsmith cast fireswords on the unit and subsequently bringing the treekin down to 2 models. the 2 fled very slowly 4 inches, and the dwarfs persue a horrid 1 inch! next turn my death wizard attempted to snipe the last 2 but failed and then the magma cannons failed to kill the last 2. they end up escaping with all there victory points. my kdaii was able to get his sorc within charge range and then next turn was surprised to be charged by the solo sorcerer. next the sorc turned into a MOUNTAIN CHIMERA and immediately did 4 wounds to the destroyer. the destroyer didnt return any and crumbled away. we ended up capturing the hill and ended up tieing the battle. if we would have caught the unit of treekin it would have been a major victory for us.

thats about it, I believe I placed around 46th overall

Ender SpiteSworn:

thanks Tom, 100% agree with what you said.

Great Reports Efren! Thanks! ( FYI I just sent you a PM about a tourney in Davis)

Have you guys come up with any changes for the Quake city rumble yet? Other then going to fire on my #1 I thinking im holding steady. I am playing wiht trading in both demon smiths for a lord though…But, I think that may really trash my Comp score.

tvandyke:

thanks Tom, 100% agree with what you said.

Great Reports Efren!    Thanks!  ( FYI I just sent you a PM about a tourney in Davis)

Have you guys come up with any changes for the Quake city rumble yet?  Other then going to fire on my #1 I thinking im holding steady. I am playing wiht trading in both demon smiths for a lord though....But, I think that may really trash my Comp score.

Ender SpiteSworn
Don't worry about your comp.  I've pretty much already been told to expect low comp if you bring the Destroyer (Iron Daemon got mentioned as well, so you have both).  So unless you're willing to drop the Destroyer I wouldn't worry about it.  Bringing a level 4 isn't going to take it down much further, if at all.  We'll probably all get around a 2 to 4 in comp (I never got that good of a score with my RH Chaos Dwarfs at this tournament anyway.  I usually got around a 4 with a 200 model count army, but I'd get a 12 with my Nurgle Marauder army, go figure). The main change I'm making for sure is dropping the Taur'ruk and adding two Khans on wolf (with a 5 point magic item) and bumping the Bulls from 5 to 6. I'm also dropping Hellbound from the Magma Cannon (just didn't seem to come into play except maybe one time when I targeted a Spirt Host) and dropping the Blood of Hashut from my lord (Didn't use it once in 5 games or in a practice game Friday night.)  I've got a couple of playtest games scheduled for the 26th where I'm going to replace the Bulls with Fireborn and try out the Iron Daemon (I'd have to drop a Deathshrieker, only take one Khan instead of 2 and shave a few points from other things to do it).  We'll see how that works out.  If I like both of them, I'll think about bringing either or both but I'll be running into a painting completion problem.  I'm frantically working on my 60 new IG to replace my Big Hat warriors.  I'm already doubting that I'll be able to get them done by the end of June.  If I do, I'm not sure how much time I'll have left to paint up an Iron Daemon or unit of Fireborn. By the way, speaking of Fireborn, I went in on a Forgeworld Order with Adam Clark (Chaos Warrior player) and I have an order of Fireborn coming, but I'm mentioning it because he has an "evil" dwarf army (3rd edition Chaos Dwarves) that he's always used as standard dwarves, but he just ordered the Skull Cracker model and plans on modelling up a Destroyer. If he gets those done, he'll be bringing Chaos Dwarfs to QCR so that will be 4 CD armies at the tournament that I know about.

Da Crusha:

Don't worry about your comp.  I've pretty much already been told to expect low comp if you bring the Destroyer (Iron Daemon got mentioned as well, so you have both).  So unless you're willing to drop the Destroyer I wouldn't worry about it.  Bringing a level 4 isn't going to take it down much further, if at all.  We'll probably all get around a 2 to 4 in comp (I never got that good of a score with my RH Chaos Dwarfs at this tournament anyway.  I usually got around a 4 with a 200 model count army, but I'd get a 12 with my Nurgle Marauder army, go figure). The main change I'm making for sure is dropping the Taur'ruk and adding two Khans on wolf (with a 5 point magic item) and bumping the Bulls from 5 to 6. I'm also dropping Hellbound from the Magma Cannon (just didn't seem to come into play except maybe one time when I targeted a Spirt Host) and dropping the Blood of Hashut from my lord (Didn't use it once in 5 games or in a practice game Friday night.)  I've got a couple of playtest games scheduled for the 26th where I'm going to replace the Bulls with Fireborn and try out the Iron Daemon (I'd have to drop a Deathshrieker, only take one Khan instead of 2 and shave a few points from other things to do it).  We'll see how that works out.  If I like both of them, I'll think about bringing either or both but I'll be running into a painting completion problem.  I'm frantically working on my 60 new IG to replace my Big Hat warriors.  I'm already doubting that I'll be able to get them done by the end of June.  If I do, I'm not sure how much time I'll have left to paint up an Iron Daemon or unit of Fireborn.  By the way, speaking of Fireborn, I went in on a Forgeworld Order with Adam Clark (Chaos Warrior player) and I have an order of Fireborn coming, but I'm mentioning it because he has an "evil" dwarf army (3rd edition Chaos Dwarves) that he's always used as standard dwarves, but he just ordered the Skull Cracker model and plans on modelling up a Destroyer.  If he gets those done, he'll be bringing Chaos Dwarfs to QCR so that will be 4 CD armies at the tournament that I know about.

tvandyke
Wow 4 chaos dwarf armies, thats pretty cool. Im feeling a lot of pressure to get a lot more paint on now.

I havent done any play testing since saws. but I plan on giving the charmed shield to the deamonsmith sitter and maybe using the chalice of darkness. I used to use it all the time in RH to boost magic offense, now it is not as reliable but could still be used for magic defense when I run out of dispel dice early. Im thinking about trying the iron deamon with cannonade and bringing Lore of Hashut instead of Death. bring my cd units down to 25 or so.

tvandyke:

Wow 4 chaos dwarf armies, thats pretty cool. Im feeling a lot of pressure to get a lot more paint on now.

I havent done any play testing since saws. but I plan on giving the charmed shield to the deamonsmith sitter and maybe using the chalice of darkness. I used to use it all the time in RH to boost magic offense, now it is not as reliable but could still be used for magic defense when I run out of dispel dice early. Im thinking about trying the iron deamon with cannonade and bringing Lore of Hashut instead of Death. bring my cd units down to 25 or so.

Da Crusha
I've only played 8 games total now with LOA, so I know it's not a huge sample size, but I'm pretty confident that the IG units definitely don't need to be bigger than 24 (25 with Castellen or Prophet). In my case, they hardly even got into combat until after turn 3 or so and when they did they held up really well. I give my Prophet the Crown of Command so both my blocks are stubborn. I sat back every game and just pummeled my opponent with as much magic and war machine fire as I could and made him come to me. The only thing I really was aggressive with was the Destroyer. I wasn't even all that aggressive with my bulls unless I had to be. With my RH list I always used Death or Shadow (sometimes fire) and IMO, Lore of Hashut was much more effective. It's awesome. There's no way I'm even considering anything else for my Prophet.