[Archive] Seeking Advice for Helm/Face Conversions

SoulDisaster:

I have just stepped on to the sculpting scene and was amazed by some of the Chaos Dwarf conversions i’ve seen. So far, using green stuff for the armour and beard has come easy to me, but I’m stuck when it comes to the helmet. I like the skull helm idea used from the chaos mutations sprue, but $6 per helm is kinda expensive! Can anyone tell me if there is a more cost friendly way to go about this? I must say though, i would like to avoid using Chaos warrior helmets for the Chaos Dwarfs. I just dont think they look right.

I would appreciate any advice or tips anyone could offer!

Thanks!

Xander:

Check out my videos if you haven’t yet:

http://www.youtube.com/XanderXereus

I used a specific bit which I then replicated with green stuff molds. :slight_smile:

two_heads_talking:

Xander, you need to get a good pair of side cutters/clippers… that way you won’t cut your daggone finger off.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Yeah Xander…at least get a hobby saw and a file! :smiley:

Welcome to the boards SoulDisaster! A good way to save money on parts is to ask other gamers if they have some spare bits you might need. Usually a good player that has a large army will have so many spare parts that they don’t know what to do with them. You might even be able to trade some of your spare parts too.

As for decorating up your Chaos Dwarf armour, one thing I found that you can do is cut some of the skull faces off the “Full” skulls and other things and then glue them on your helmets/armour afterwards.

For my BFSP warriors, I just cut off all the “Good Dwarf” looking parts and then shaved the helmets down so that they were round. I also added a spike to the helmets of the “higher rank” troops from the Chaos Warrior sprue a friend gave me.

On the BFSP Miners, I wanted to make them into a “Heavy Weapons” team, so I removed their heads and used the helmets from the Chaos Warriors. I can agree with you that they don’t look “Right”, but they do give these guys heads some better protection.

Finally, I used these Thumb Tacks for the more traditional “Tall Hats”. You just have to drill a loooooong hole into the tops of their heads to hide the metal pin. Afterwards, if you like, you can glue parts onto the “Hat” as the thumb tack is styrene plastic.

cornixt:

The wiki is your friend:

[[Chaos Dwarf Warrior Conversions]]

[[Chaos Dwarf Blunderbuss Conversions]]

Willmark:

I think there is a going to be a world wide shortage of push-pins shortly.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hey…I don’t have THAT many CD’s. :slight_smile:

tjub:

Willmark
:hat off

two_heads_talking:

Willmark
that's terribly punny Willmark.. lol:hat off

Kera foehunter:

not for me !!!i have a life time supply since i don’t need them

Willmark:

Willmark
that's terribly punny Willmark.. lol:hat off

two_heads_talking
Then I succeeded!

Filipicusius:

@Kera: Are you going to eat those?

Kera foehunter:

why becase im being tacky!!