[Archive] Skullcracker or not to Skullcracker?

Gunnerson:

Is it worth the points? Should it be hellbound? Are the points savings for a naked Iron Deamon better??

kimal79:

first, have not played a real game with Chaos Dwarfs yet, so this is theoryhammer… but I see one way it will be useful to have a skullcracker over a iron daemon: it can crush down the watch tower!

but you then lose the ability to shoot with it…

khedyarl:

but you then lose the ability to shoot with it..

kimal79
.. and ultimately, this is the one enormous strength the Iron-Daemon has going for it. It's virtually indestructible, and has a gun that will absolutely ruin monstrous cavalry of any kind, ridden monsters, and any other pesky single-models.

I can see taking a Skullcracker, but probably only in pairs.

Gunnerson:

I considered 1 of each, and I already have a skullcracker, I got a huge deal on it. I am going to be sending in an order pretty soon here and though the regular one woas probably a good selection.

BABIS:

it’s very difficult to charge with an iron deamon , and you can only afflict infantries… It can be stopped very easily for all the game turns… so the best way to use it is with the steam cannonade and Hellbound…

Gunnerson:

it's very difficult to charge with an iron deamon , and you can only afflict infantries.. It can be stopped very easily for all the game turns.. so the best way to use it is with the steam cannonade and Hellbound..

BABIS
So the plan to run 1 of each will probably stick untill I can land a destroyer of some sort.

Geist:

Having run a skullcracker for a long time before taking it out of current build, I can say the following.

When it goes into rank and file foot its murder.

Cav of any sort gum it to hell.

You must run something to help.

Things that work best with it so far as by my testing.

Kadai

Khans on wolfs

I will be working with a list that has bulls to see how that fares.

A trick to bear in mind, hold it back and wait for some cav unit to get about 9 to 10 or so inches away, if you had angled correctly, all you have to do is declare steam drive so they can not flee, and crush whatever is there. This works best on small bricks of cav, mainly chaos knights which usually are run in less than 10 man blocks.

Alexei:

it's very difficult to charge with an iron deamon , and you can only afflict infantries.. It can be stopped very easily for all the game turns.. so the best way to use it is with the steam cannonade and Hellbound..

BABIS
You may find that Hellbound is a terrible upgrade in your local meta if there are lots of HE with the new shiny Deathstar (L4 Mage, BSB, L2 Mage) inside a unit of 40 White Lions/Phoenix Guard with the 2++ save against magic. It was very frustrating for me, because 2++ against DSRLs is mean.

It is very good against many other units too, but my local amount of HE players is 50% of them all.

BABIS:

BABIS
You may find that Hellbound is a terrible upgrade in your local meta if there are lots of HE with the new shiny Deathstar (L4 Mage, BSB, L2 Mage) inside a unit of 40 White Lions/Phoenix Guard with the 2++ save against magic. It was very frustrating for me, because 2++ against DSRLs is mean.

It is very good against many other units too, but my local amount of HE players is 50% of them all.

Alexei
the natural answer for the new non sense high elf standard is the Destroyer ;)
and I wouldn't use the ID against a big infantry unit as I like to use it to shooting..

Alexei:

BABIS

Alexei
the natural answer for the new non sense high elf standard is the Destroyer ;)
and I wouldn't use the ID against a big infantry unit as I like to use it to shooting..

BABIS
I meant that for the Skullcracker, which was the main point of this thread, as Hellbound makes all its attacks magical and thus useless. The Cannonade is awesome when you see Chimerae, Hydras and stuff on the opposing side.

MOMUS:

I think people are talking about the ID and SC in the wrong way, its not a bad thing that it gets stuck on and enemy unit.

Most enemies see it as a stank equivalent, its can be used to stick onto an offensive enemy unit that has high static res (something the k’daai may be wary of) and keep it pinned in place the entire game.

I like the skull cracker as I think it can be used to control the space infront of your army better, nobody wants to have 2D6+2 impact hits and then 2D6 thunderstomp. The chance of it going straight through an enemy unit (maybe combined with magic) and into the bunker/artillery is too high.

Although the cannonade is fantastic against MC/MI which are very common in the current meta so its a hard decision.