[Archive] Skullcracker upgrade on Iron Daemon or no?

Swissdictator:

Seeing as I think it will be in close combat quite a bit, I would think that it would be a solid choice. Though, I’d like to hear what people have found.

I’ll have to convert the Iron Daemon a bit, as I have that kit. Though I suspect it should not be overly difficult to add some blades to make it look the part. May try magnets to make it swappable.

I’m thinking that with skullcracker, it’d be a wonderfull hammer to compliment the solid and sturdy Infernal Guard (hw/sw, albeit at S4 they can kill some things too). Plus with as tough as it is, in addition to its armor, it won’t be wounded so easily either. Though I think, if I go this route, I’d be wise to take Hellbound as that’ll make it harder to wound, and take longer to destroy… plus I won’t have to worry about someone feeding me a spirit host to render it useless.

SupremeMasterofHashut:

It’s a good choice for a upgrade my only problem with it is if it gets charged by a calvary or monsterous units it is worthless. In my best opinion i would use it against a heavy infantry army.

rpitts2004:

It's a good choice for a upgrade my only problem with it is if it gets charged by a calvary or monsterous units it is worthless. In my best opinion i would use it against a heavy infantry army.

SupremeMasterofHashut
Then your best opinion says that against monstorus infantry the skullcracker only gets impact hits and dwarf hits. You don't get 2D6 thunderstomp against monstorus infantry, so after first round it would just sit there

khedyarl:

I would suggest sticking with the standard Iron Daemon for now, Swiss. If you want a Skullcracker, it can definitely be fun against infantry-heavy armies as others have said, but I wouldn’t convert your only Daemon into one - the standard is just too bloody useful. The gun is just incredible at taking down monstrous infantry/beasts/monsters, and worst comes to worst, it’s a nigh invulnerable roadblock for a Knight Deathstar or something similar.

Swissdictator:

Thank you, I appreciate the advice!

I think I got a bit ahead of myself, forgetting cav. More importantly, with Ogres (at least in my area) far more popular… that steam cannonade can wreck some Ogres quite nicely.

I think I will still take the Hellbound upgrade. The stat bonuses are solid, and I think it’s worth the small risk. Plus, ethereal still isn’t pesky anymore. Plus the main ethereal units (spirit hosts and hexwraiths) would only care about the impact hits or shooting anyways. It will also be a nice threat the the monstrous cav/monstrous infantry/monsters were seeing introduced in many armies (crypt ghouls, demigryphs, terorgheists, Necropylis knights, etc)