[Archive] Slightly unrelated

Khan!:

So, technically what I have for y’all today is not a Chaos Dwarf, but I’ve been briefly distracted by other shiny pretty things and will return to my CDs shortly. In the meantime, I need some advice about this fellow’s skin tone. I did it all in the red at first, and altho I was happy with how it turned out it just looked far too uniform (since living things rarely are the same all over). Thus, I tried to mix it up a bit on his belly and lips, but I’m unsure of how to proceed. Is the pink good? Too light? Too dark? Need less of it? Need more? Maybe brown instead of pink? Advise me, good sirs, and I promise to post some Chaos Dwarves again!

AGPO:

What is it exactly? a LatD sentinal?

Khan!:

Actually it’s a model from the PP “Hordes” game. I think it’s a “dire troll blitzer.” I don’t really know anything about that game but some of the models are really good, hence why I am painting this one. Now that you mention it tho, it would make a pretty cool LatD sentinel! Or big mutant, or similar.

hal:

I love those PP sculpts, I have a small menoth army that I bought years ago. All those PP games have become very popular over here along with other games like Flames of War.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I think maybe a much darker red (a similar shade to the brown, but red. Make sesne? he he he, sorry if not) should be down some of the back. Also, it won’t look so uniform once the rest is painted…

AGPO:

I’ve never heard of the PP games, got a link? I think it would make a great LatD sentinal, just tell the stafers its a conversion and give it a different base. In terms of painting, I really like it, except for the fact that some of the lighter areas (the lips and belly) are a bit too pink for my liking. A red ink wash may sort this out for the gut. I personally use bronzed flesh as a clour to mix when highlighting red, as it gives it a more earthy shade and stops it going too pink or orange. Bleached bone works pretty well too

Khan!:

Bronzed Flesh as a highlight for red eh… that’s a good idea I think I’m gonna have to try that. For this guy I used Pallid Flesh, and it goes from red to pink just a bit too fast, I found. Cool, thanks AGPO.

@Hashut’s Blessing: You’re right, it looks a lot better now everything is painted! I was also thinking about doing a darker red for the back but in the end I decided against it.

Meanwhile, the company that sculpted this model is called Privateer Press, and their website is just www.privateerpress.com I think.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thought it might :smiley: Always paint the entirety of a model before determining if it needs extras painted on. So, where’s the finished picture?