[Archive] SM Decals good choice for CD's?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hi gang!

As most of you know, I signed up for the Games Workshop Academy painting program and I’m building a battle box of Space Marines.

I was looking at the decals provided with the box and some of them look like they could work as an alternative to the older style Chaos Dwarf Symbols.

For example, there’s numerous lighning bolts, the closest example being the black one in the white circle. Secondly, there’s a black skull in a whire circle. Again reminiscent of the older CD symbols.

Anyway, these symbols look smaller, but could fit a shield or something.

Just an idea.

Swissdictator:

I strongly advise against decals personally. To be fair, the only time I’ve ever seen them used is generally poorly… but occasionally I see them used nicely. Maybe there’s a trick I don’t know about. If you know the trick, by all means go for it… I’m just wary personally.

Assuming you know the trick to making decals look good (Hashut bless you if you do, please share)… I suppose they could look good. I haven’t seen the SM decals, but what you’re saying sounds good. As long as the size is right I suppose.

Again, it just seems like you have to know what you’re doing in order to use them… but you’ve indicated you’ve been painting longer then me so I suspect you just might have it down then.

two_heads_talking:

NO trick to setting decals, just use… http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-1&Category_Code=FINPROD&Product_Count=1

This actually helps the decal set to the model. Of course you can use any kind of decal solvent and you can find them at most of your hobby stores, particularly ones that do model kits (cars, planes etc) or train kits.

GRNDL:

@swiss

Yeah, there is a trick you probably don’t know:

First off, trim the decal as close as you can to the image. Secondly, daub some gloss varnish on the area you want to put the decal - its best to cover the entire area, so if you’re doing an SM shoulder pad, do the entire thing.

Then, set the decal with water or Microset as merchant points out. Personally, I’d set set the decal with water and then use Microset to sink it into any cracks or conform around rivets or other detail.

When its dry, daub some more gloss varnish over top of the decal. This will protect it and more importantly cover up that all-annoying bump where the decal ends and the rest of the model begins. You cannot use Microset after you put the gloss varnish over top of it.

Finally, if you want a matte/semi-gloss surface rather than the gloss one, spray your matte varnish on to tie it in with the rest of the model.

Kera foehunter:

i get some 3 mm micro marker that you can get from any art store and draw them on

Zanko:

I like Decals cause I´m a bad coat of arms painter!

@Swiss: Try these ones: Little Big Men Studios – by Steve Hales   partially very cool ones! :stuck_out_tongue:

:hashut