[Archive] Small Infernal Guard units with Great weapons

Morgrim Bloodbeard:

Is it worth taking 10 dwarf great weapon units as supporting hammer blocks for my big unit of IG? They are 150 pts and in all likelihood would be throwaway units. Thoughts my infernal brethren?:hat

Yodrin:

I think i would go for sword and board or fireglaives, prob fireglaives.

Bloodbeard:

Is it worth taking 10 dwarf great weapon units as supporting hammer blocks for my big unit of IG? They are 150 pts and in all likelihood would be throwaway units. Thoughts my infernal brethren?:hat

Morgrim Bloodbeard
I don't think so. For 150 points you can bring 30 hobgoblins with bow, for many more attacks, properly steadfast and many ranks. You get of at least one round of shooting, perhaps a stand an shoot and can then throw them into combat. With a general and bsb in the anvil, they won't go anywhere. The amount of dice will win over higher WS, ST and T of 10 infernal guard.

If the enemy is lucky/cunning they will get at charge at the 10, the wont stand a chance and the enemy get's a free overrun. With a stray cannonball or magic missile the IG only needs to loose 2 before panick testing.

10 IG with fireglaives is something else though. I use these to protect my damonsmiths and shoot down fast cavalry or birds.

And by the way Morgrim Bloodbeard...

Nah, all good ofcause. Welcome aboard! Do you have a red beard?

Geist:

Great weapons always sound good in theory. Then reality comes along and smash our hopes and dreams in. Problem with great weapons as I have said before is you loose the Armour save. That save is part of what we are famous for, having hard as nails troops. Iffin your going to do a small flank or warmachine park guard unit. Go with one of the two classics that seem to do the job.

1 10 fireglaives, while they loose the save they can at least do something at range.

2 Hob gobbos, cheap lots of them can buy you some stead fast time and cheap enough to give bows to.

Morgrim Bloodbeard:

Thanks guys some good advice… might rethink bringing some Bull Centaurs instead, such an iconic unit for Chaos Dwarfs

@Bloodbeard- we must be long lost cousins or somesuch…the beard used to be gingerish until it all went grey! ;P…I saw you name after i signed up and truly I am happy to change it if only to avoid confusion if someone can tell me how to do that!

Morgrim Ashbeard sounds good and suits my currently colour anyway :hat off

Morgrim Bloodbeard:

Thanks…I have requested admin change it to Morgrim Ashbeard…my dwarf lord has always been Morgrim Ironbeard, for so long now that among local gamers my nickname is Morgy so i figured my Chaos Dwarf name better be Morgrim something! Thanks again for the welcome. :hat

Malorndk:

You get of at least one round of shooting, perhaps a stand an shoot and can then throw them into combat.

Bloodbeard
Remember all hobgoblins have Thrown Weapons as well, so it's always a S&S reaction unless you get flank/rear charged :)

Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed:

Your CD units arn’t throw away units imo. We have access to cheap gobbos. Gobbos won’t cause panic in our ranks and they can roll with a standard and 3 ranks. I use gobbos to create a buffer between the enemy and my warmachines. Enemy gets close… move in the gobbos :slight_smile:

I think it is important to work out what role the unit will play. GW CD units only work in large blocks because of the ammount of dead dwarfs every round. If a monster charges them they will be toast in 1 round when you factor in thunderstomps… as a support unit sure fireglaives are ok but they are actually more limited than the hobgobbos.

torn:

I undertand that the use would be to have an amount of high strength attacks. I would say though that for the same points a warmachine might be more effective.