[Archive] Sneaky Gits and "Lapping" rule

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hi gang!

Just got some pieces from GW and started making my first out of 16 Sneaky Gits and I was looking at the ol’ PDF and I’m wondering what it means by “Lap Around”.

Was that a term used in 6th Edition as it doesn’t seem to be in 7th.

ThanX again!

Maeglin:

Yep in the older editions if you won combat you could extend your frontage around your opponents flanks, “lapping around” them.

furrie:

there is a faq that replaces that rule for the gits. I just don’t know to what

Thommy H:

According to the US Grand Tournament FAQ, Sneaky Gitz may now perform a free manoeuvre at the end of every combat (whether they win or lose). An enemy unit in combat with them may only turn to face them if they win the combat, they may never increase their frontage.

Scion:

Does that mean they can flank during combat?

Thommy H:

No. That’s not what a free manoeuvre is. I don’t have the page reference to hand, but it’s on the last page of the main “rules you need to play” (I think opposite the picture of the thousands of flaggelants dragging the big clockpunk machine). It specifies exactly what you can and can’t do there - Sneaky Gitz differ in that they can do it even if they don’t win the combat, and their opponents can’t do anything besides turn to face them.

Willmark:

Its carry over from the old days.

Basically its envelopment. I always thought it was especially characterful for Sneaky Gits, rushing around to stick daggers, swords, etc in from all sides.

One of the problems is that our lists is so old it has some rather large gaps in it, this being one of them.

Quite often in 3rd edition days you would advance your troops (not just SG) around the flanks to start inflicting more damage as it was one of the only ways to start ending fights ans there were no breaks tests. Fights lasted a long time in those days so you had to position the right unit in the right place or you could quickly get into a fight that lasted all game with your best troops.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

So in our day and age, does it matter about the free manouver?

Or better put…in my store, should I try to add in about the free manouver, or just play without it, considering GW probably won’t release that old, evil CD FAQ. :smiley: I think the kids would probably want proof that my Sneaky Gits got the free manouver, and without the PDF, I have nothing to claim.

Besides, just based on the facts that they have 2 hand weapons and get the poisioned attack is actually quite powerfull enough. Although the free manouver is nice, it probably wouldn’t add too much…well for me anyway.

Thommy H:

It’s not a huge advantage. I would recommend discussing it with your opponents before the game starts. Since the list is so old, it’s worth establishing things like how Bull Centaurs work, how Sneaky Gitz work and ahem what Armour of the Furnace actually makes you immune to.

cornixt:

Sounds like we need a proper FAQ of these things on the site, beyond the WoH articles and forum posts.

AGPO:

In sixth edition and previous, the unit which won the combat could mve models from it’s rear ranks to expand it’s frontage and eventually ‘lap around’ the sides of the opposing unit, at a rate of two models to each side of the unit. Effectively this allowed you to bring more models (from both sides) into the fight, but meant you sacrificed rank bonus. The rule was cumbersome in multiple combats and was often ignored, and was done away with in seventh edition. The ‘free manouvre’ FAQ is from a Grand Tournament, and is therefore only applicable to friendly games. However it is the closest to a GW ruling you will find. Otherwise simply ignore the reference - it refers to a rule which no longer exists

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I just found that I do indeed own a copy of that PDF faq from that Grand Tournament. I think I got it from our Wiki before GW made the mods revamp it. I’ll have to read it tonight.

The Brain:

Hi gang!

Just got some pieces from GW and started making my first out of 16 Sneaky Gits and I was looking at the ol' PDF and I'm wondering what it means by "Lap Around".

Was that a term used in 6th Edition as it doesn't seem to be in 7th.

ThanX again!

Tarrakk Blackhand
You seem to have a lot of questions on Chaos Dwarfs, you should get yourself a copy of the USGT FAQ sheet for them. It will answer alot of your questions and you will have it for any opponents to read so you are not that guy in the store that randomly spouts "the FAQ says..." with nothing to back it up. The sheet should be on the web somewhere or maybe someone can email it to you.

cornixt:

Note that the USGT FAQ was meant to cover the USGTs only, not the rest of the world or ordinary games. It is also written a bit poorly, and is a little weird when it comes to adding some new rules for no apparent reason. See the [[US-GT rules]] section of the wiki.

Willmark:

Matt and his crew came up with an interesting solution for it, it will be interesting to see what GW does if they get around to it…

The Brain:

Note that the USGT FAQ was meant to cover the USGTs only, not the rest of the world or ordinary games. It is also written a bit poorly, and is a little weird when it comes to adding some new rules for no apparent reason. See the [[US-GT rules]] section of the wiki.

cornixt
Yes the FAQ was written for the US GT's and games day tournaments but it is as close are we are going to get to official as we are going to get for a long time. Also remember that at the time it was written GW was running and publishing all the rules for the US tournaments it comes from the source. It is not like the Dire Wolf FAQ�?Ts that are written by anybody these came from the company itself. It is however like all FAQ�?Ts in the fact that it does not solve all the problems, and contradicts fluff/other armies. Though when it comes down to the bare facts it is better to have something that came from the source itself then to leave it completely to a player-by-player interpretation. For now it is the best we have.

jhntulsa:

Yes it is not like the Dire Wolf FAQ�?Ts that are written by anybody these came from the company itself and at the time it was written GW was running and publishing all the rules for the US tournaments it comes from the source…

Tulsa oklahoma