[Archive] SNOW! Please help me!

Joshmohr:

So far i have been adding snow to my dwarfs. And none of them seem to turn out thick. they turn out clear, and thin. i use the Games-workshop PVA glue…

Advice?

Ideas?

so.sad:

I found some great tutorials here.

this one especially is on making snow bases, perhaps you’ll can find something helpfull there

Joshmohr:

God, thanks!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Canix:

this one especially is on making snow bases, perhaps you'll can find something helpfull there

so.sad
Thats a great link .I have heard that the snow bases can be very prone to yellowing from handling and was wondering if one of those methods avoided this.I think it occurs after the varnished layer is damaged :hat

so.sad:

Thats a great link .I have heard that the snow bases can be very prone to yellowing from handling and was wondering if one of those methods avoided this.I think it occurs after the varnished layer is damaged :hat

Canix
from what I heard/ learned the yellowing occurs if the resin/plastic/etc. is exposed to sunlight due to the UV radiation. touching the models damages the varnished layer so this is why.
As far as I know there are "finishing seals" availiable that soak into the outer resin layers and prevent the yellowing process.

For making snow I think the baking soda method is the most used one though it appears that the result is more like melting snow/ice. I can recall having read that flour (meal?) can be used on top of the baking soda but I can't find the source anymore :/

wallacer:

I usually just give the base a light dry brushing of white paint then glue a couple of layers of snow flock on top of it.

tjub:

This is more of recently fallen snow. Ive used GWs snow, with PVA glue… On some older 40k bases I did two layers all over the base to get a feeling of snowy ground.

warh:

i usually mix some white paint in the pva glue.

Kera foehunter:

im not a snow expert! but i would find some tree bark or a piece of mulch and just practice on it !! by trying the snow you will fine a way to do it better the bark would

and if your lucky where you live find some slate that would be just as cool and it work well as a base to your cd army like obsidian

that is a great link on the snow advice to

Maul:

I have never liked the look of only snow on a base. I usually take a textured base and then add some snow. I take some Elmer’s generic white glue (so much cheaper then GW), and just squirt spots directly on the base. Then I take a crappy brush and spread it around a bit. I usually keep my basing material in a clear plastic card container. I put the model in the container, grab a big pinch of the white flock and drop it on the glue. I often tap down on it slightly to make sure it does not fall out. Then I blow on the base or tap the model on something to get rid of the loose stuff. Lastly, I seal the model one or two coats varnish and a coat of dull cote (a Testor’s product to kill the shine from the varnish). I use the same process with static grass, except that I don’t tap it down as much.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I mix up a paste of citadel water effects and caulking filler (?) - the latter comes ready for use in a tube and when dry will be hard as plastic.

I used to make all-snow bases only with that stuff, but I find nowadays that they look a bit boring. Now I use the citadel water effects to make the stuff a bit more liquid and dab just a little on each base for that semi-molten-snow-tundra look.

Kera foehunter:

Maul that sound real cool!!! do you have a picture of this i like to try it

well with my army the Snow baces seems to melt ! Do to the smoking hot figures he he

ps Ishkur do you have picker of the finish product too ??

Willmark:

this one especially is on making snow bases, perhaps you'll can find something helpfull there

so.sad
Excellent find, have some slaves for that.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

ps   Ishkur  do you have picker of the finish product too ??

Kera foehunter
Sure, this is what my old bases looked like:

And this is my current style (well known I hope ^^):

GRNDL:

@ishkur

What do you mean by “caulking filler”? To me, in the Great White North, caulking is a filler itself - and by caulking I mean silicon caulking that is used to seal in windows, cracks, etc on homes/buildings. Is that what you mean?

Maul:

There is a lot of good and battle in this example from my necron army.

Below are patches of the basic technique. I try to ask my self where is the shade and where will the now still be and not have melted. This is important on large bases. The main problem with some of these bases is that they look “too wet.” This is probably caused by one of two things. There was not enough snow applied to the base when the glue is there so it all gets soapy, of the moisture from the varnish can wash out the models a bit. These models have been fully sealed and I suspect that they could be greatly improved by re applying glue and going over the whole things again. This time I would not seal it with varnish, but just use dull cote.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

@GRNDL: frankly I have no idea how to translate it in another way… it’s a white, slightly grainy, sticky stuff that comes out of the tube and is applied directly, then left to harden. It’s no silicone in any way, when dry it’s more like hard, brittle plastic.This is the stuff I use, it’s usually available in the larger DIY markets. Unfortunately the website has no English version.

GRNDL:

@Ishkur

Thanks for the follow up! A picture says a thousand words!! It does look like caulking and looking at the brands I know in Canada (Mono) there are similar kinds. I was under the false assumption that caulking is always silicon and that’s not true. So I presume the one you’re pointing out is acrylic based rather than silicon based. (The only german I could recognize in that whole bit was the bit that said it wasn’t silicon, lol)

Would you be so kind to list the chemical ingredients on that product, even in german - that would help a whole lot, otherwise I’ll be buying random caulking products and getting into a whole load of trouble before I find the right one/similar one…

Ishkur Cinderhat:

This is what the technical sheet on the internet says: “Kunststoffdispersion, Titandioxid, Füllstoffe, Wasser, Additive, Konservierungsmittel”. But it does not say anything about these on the actual packing, so I’m not sure if it will help you. Good luck anyways! :hat off

Kera foehunter:

i think it a form of wall patch for drywall !! or Spackling i think!!

thats what it sound like and looks like

thanks guys for the pictures