[Archive] So I'm insane

spineyrequiem:

No, please, don’t go yet! I quite fancy starting up a CD army using Thommy H’s excellent rules for them, but am in the position you have all no doubt been in of wondering how to convert them up. And I’m a cheap b*****d so I’m aiming to do the vast majority with non-GW plastics, namely the following

For the basic bodies of the CDs themselves, some Mantic Dwarves like these

(as the basis for blunderbuss troops)

(for close combat dwarves)

But those are ugly! Yes, yes I agree. Therefore, I plan to swap the heads with these fine chappies from Wargames Factory

With the addition of some beards, and modification of the helmets to be less obviously germanic, I think they could work. Shields and weapons are pretty easy to get my hands on, which is good because I hate the Mantic ones…

But what of hobgoblins, the Dwarves’ iconic slavemasters? Again, Wargames Factory shall oblige.

Again, some modification will be needed. My question is, does anyone else think this is a vaguely good idea before I go off and buy about 100 odd-models and break out the hobby tools? And your question is, where does the insanity come into it? Well, look at the model combinations…

Baggronor:

Are you sure it’s worth buying 2 box sets just to do headswaps? And the the time spent hacking off the mantic heads, filling gaps and adding beards? I don’t know the exact costs but wouldn’t it be better in terms of time and money and mini quality to just buy some decent CD minis?

At the very least, I’d want to be sure those shock trooper heads grafted onto the Dwarf bodies won’t make them look like tiny tiny Pea-heads.

The plastic orcs/hobbos look ok I guess. They do look a bit ‘realistic’ in style compared to the Dwarfs though?

If you don’t mind Mantic minis, why not just buy their CDs and Goblins?

spineyrequiem:

No, please, don’t go yet! I quite fancy starting up a CD army using Thommy H’s excellent rules for them, but am in the position you have all no doubt been in of wondering how to convert them up. And I’m a cheap b*****d so I’m aiming to do the vast majority with non-GW plastics, namely the following

For the basic bodies of the CDs themselves, some Mantic Dwarves like these

(as the basis for blunderbuss troops)

(for close combat dwarves)

But those are ugly! Yes, yes I agree. Therefore, I plan to swap the heads with these fine chappies from Wargames Factory

With the addition of some beards, and modification of the helmets to be less obviously germanic, I think they could work. Shields and weapons are pretty easy to get my hands on, which is good because I hate the Mantic ones…

But what of hobgoblins, the Dwarves’ iconic slavemasters? Again, Wargames Factory shall oblige.

Again, some modification will be needed. My question is, does anyone else think this is a vaguely good idea before I go off and buy about 100 odd-models and break out the hobby tools? And your question is, where does the insanity come into it? Well, look at the model combinations…

spineyrequiem:

The shock troops have 84 heads per box, and that box is £15. And I won’t be wasting the bodies, I need some armoured greatcoat infantry for another project. And the weapons. Aren’t Mantic heads separate? If not, we proceed to plan B… GW dwarves. I couldn’t find any decent Chaos Dwarves of a style I liked (I dislike Mantic ones, their’s too much emphasis on the ‘chaos’ with them) which weren’t individual metal models (which I may use for characters, but would look a bit rubbish as a regiment). Price-wise, I can get 60 chaos dwarves for £60, plus I’ll have plenty of bits left over by my calculations. Mantic gobbos are £11 for 10, Wargames Factory orcs are 24 for £15, and I prefer Wargames factory ones so it’s a no-brainer for me.

All that said, if you can point me at someone who does do reasonably affordable chaos dwarves of good quality I’d be most grateful!

Baggronor:

All that said, if you can point me at someone who does do reasonably affordable chaos dwarves of good quality I'd be most grateful!
I think Mantic are the only option for plastic CDs, until AoW get around to them (likely sometime next year at the earliest I would guess). I do metal CDs, but it sounds like you want plastics.

GW Dwarfs definitely don't have separate heads; head-swapping them would be hard work, I think. The mantic ones may have separate heads, I've only seen the futuristic dwarves on the sprues and they would be awful to cut apart.

brotsorrow:

eeek this sounds like a lot of work for a project that may not be to your standards. It sounds like you will use all the parts, so money will not be wasted there. Maybe the store you are buying from will have some loose models so you can eye the heads to the bodies to make sure they are within a decent scale?

spineyrequiem:

It’s an online store, so no it won’t :frowning:

JMR:

Hey spineyrequiem. The Mantic plastics don’t all have seperate heads. I think out of 5 bodies on the regular warrior sprue, 3 have heads already attached. I can’t remember for sure though.

Actually, here are the sprues found with Google.
Command sprue:

Troop sprue:

As you can see, most have their heads already attached. The missile troops are 2 dwarfs per sprue, with one with head attached and the other separate.

I haven’t really seen the german troops you want to use for head-swaps, but I’m very much so inclined to say that it would be a bad fit. Dwarfs usually have pretty broad heads. The mantics have especially broad heads, as well as broad bodies. I’ve toyed around with things like GW Marauder heads on mantic bodies, but it doesn’t match scale wise. Replacing the broad head with a smaller one would also lead to open space that you’d have to sculpt up.

Also note how most Mantic dwarves have one or both arms already attached.

Having said all that, I have used Mantics to convert into Chaos Dwarves. You can find my (old) blog in my signature.

Hope that helps

P.S. Baggronor’s dwarves are very, very good, but a little more expensive because they’re metal. Check them out if you haven’t already.

Edit: Clam did a very nice review in 2010, showing the possibilities of the Mantic dwarfs. You might find this interesting too.

Thommy H:

They’re also the Official Miniatures of my rules. So there’s that.

Grimstonefire:

It might be worth taking at look at the Forge Fathers stuff from Mantic as well. There are some decent minis there that are not too expensive and might be good to differentiate as Infernal Guard possibly.

Just an idea.

spineyrequiem:

Yeah, I saw yours JMR, they were very purdy… wish I were that good a modeller/painter. And those links and pictures were exceedingly useful! Thanks so much for the advice guys, I really do appreciate it. Ummm… how do I get dwarves like Baggronor’s? As far as I could tell, his were all hand-sculpted. Which I definitely can’t do… I think I’ll be changing the plan for how to make the dwarves, though my plans for hobgoblins and other such units will remain in their current nascent stages.

EDIT: Never mind about finding them, I just did… should probably check the other search results before saying stuff from now on…

Thommy H:

Links in our sigs! (click the banners)

Kera foehunter:

EDIT: Never mind about finding them, I just did... should probably check the other search results before saying stuff from now on...

spineyrequiem
NOw that is insane !!:hat off

Come on !!hacking part off one model and putting on another is therapy

JonJon:

I tried this already the heads are real small,and want fit imho