[Archive] So whats the deal with hobgoblins?

Smog:

They are a measly 4 pts a piece for a human with I2 and light armour (and throwing daggers, but whatever), but the general consensus is that they are “subpar”?

I come from a skaven background and I don’t see why people don’t take more of these. They won’t squabble with your CD around and they’ll provide your CD bunker with deep ranks to negate steadfast, cheap banners for blood and glory and fodder for enemy cavalry, big monsters and fanatics and such.

Sure they don’t kill… anything, but they won’t run as fast as their Ld 6 gives an impression of and they provide extra warm bodies in a very low model count army. 1/2 pts will even get them a 5+/6++ in combat.

So why the hate? Or have I misunderstood and most people take them?

Baggronor:

As the rest of the army is basically elite, it is slightly odd that people don’t take them much. I think part of it may be that they want more than one unit for their characters to join and this has to be IG as they can’t join Hobgoblins. And by the time they have 2 units of IG, their minimum Core is likely exceeded and they want the points for Specials and Rares.

Also, who needs tarpits when you have IDs and Destroyers?

They won’t squabble with your CD around
When I use Hobbo archers, I place them just over 6" from the CD units but within 12" of the general and BSB. That way they pass the panic tests from rolls of a 1 but might still get the +1 to Hit from Bloody Murderers. Archers are probably the most useful Hobbos imo, they can be buffed nicely with magic too (if you cast Enchanted Blades of Aiban on them while they have rolled Bloody Murderers, they are effectively BS5 :o).

Da Crusha:

Smog
I think it has to do with the hobgoblins we had in the Ravening hordes. they had the same stat line minus the light armour and knives and only cost 2 points each. they made a super sturdy throw away unit combined with general and bsb nearby. now the throw away unit costs twice as much. pretty much the reason I have hate for the dreadquake as well, Earthshaker was phenomenal in RH and now its quake is half as effective and cost twice as much. I like the dreadquake for the S5(10) though.

silentbob27:

I use a HW/Shield unit. It has always done me proud.

Zuh-Khinie:

I always field hobbos… I tend to give them a second hand weapon and stick them nice and close next to my regular dwarf warriors. They haven’t disappointed me thus far. Sure they’ll die, but they’re perfect for blocking and delaying any units you don’t want your main unit in contact with yet.

JonJon:

Hi

I am now bringing 2 blocks of 50 hobgoblins in my standard build ,but I’m new to CDs and don’t miss the old pts since I never liked the big hats

Yea I said it,and I meant it

Kaliburnen:

Hi
I am now bringing 2 blocks of 50 hobgoblins in my standard build ,but I'm new to CDs and don't miss the old pts since I never liked the big hats

Yea I said it,and I meant it

JonJon
BLASPHEMY! Lol... I love the big hats. I don't know why but they're my favourite types of CDs

nilbog:

What baggronor said. There’s no point in spending more than you have to on core, since it is all overpriced and the specials and rares (barring things like the DQM) are excellent. Why would you have another 30 hobbos when you could have a magma cannon?

metro_gnome:

well actually if we are talking about Ranged hobgoblins…
the new archers are better than RH hobbie bowmen…
they both cost 5 points and now they have LA standard…
The problem is there was always something better than hobbie bowmen even then…
in 6th Gobbo Stikkaz were better in the role… costing 60% for the same stats…
in 7th Arrer boyz were superior… costing more but geting T4, LA, & S4 Choppaz…

But with BS3 neither of the three cases should the unit be taken as a serious killing threat…
Which is why their current rules don’t work… thrown weapons are just not enough to justify 4 points…
and with backstabbers requiring the unit actually to win combat… It will never come into effect…
also M4 is wasted if they have to hang around M3 IG blocks… their animosity which is just so gross…

too many things wrong with them and no incentive for extra core shelves my hobbies…

Baggronor:

thrown weapons are just not enough to justify 4 points...
Yeah, they just have all this extra stuff that they don't need like throwing knives, light armour and that Backstabbas rule too. Just gimme a Hobgoblin in his pants with a stick for 2pts! :) And then gimme the option to upgrade to all those things.

Bitterman:

Thing is… even if HGs can be argued to compare well (for their points) to, say, a standard human, or a normal Goblin, or whatever… none of those things are exactly the most fearsome things in the game, are they?

HGs are there to fill up minimum Core if you don’t have the points for another unit of Infernals. They perform that role admirably. If they achieve anything on the tabletop - bonus! With bows they’re OK at threatening war machine hunters, to protect the Magma Cannons; but if you had free choice, you’d just take another Magma Cannon…

Smog:

30 HGs are the same cost as 10 IG. Are 10 IG really that much better when you already have a unit of 20-30?

Animosity is a non-issue if you keep them close to your IG which you should.

Hashut’s Blessing:

For 100pts, you get 20 bow shots per turn, with a plausible flank charge/meat-grindy unit. They can’t be completely ignored because they can negate ranks, but going for them wastes time spent on killing KDs and IGs etc. I found in a game I played yesterday that a large, wide unit of BBs is great, but stick a flanking unit of 20-30 hobbos with bow on each flank and the enemy has little choice on what to do. Backed up with Ash Storm to prevent charges we don’t want to happen or to allow Banner fo Eternal Flame to set to work and using all our cool stuff, it’s a good combination. The knives thing, really is just so that your stand and shoot is at half range :wink:

On a vaguely related topic, my KD is always useless - only succeeded one in 5 of it’s charges (despite being within 13" each time!) and then dies, lol.

Smog:

Yeah, my KD got killed by a spirit host in its first game :stuck_out_tongue:

Hashut’s Blessing:

That being said, was doing a defence of the siege of Praag today (around 6-8k each side, made of 4 players each) and my K’daai managed to hold up most of the left flank (a good 3’6") of the board alone, followed up by Ash Storm stopping them all. Hobgblins performed admirably and refused to die as well :smiley:

Smog:

They are a measly 4 pts a piece for a human with I2 and light armour (and throwing daggers, but whatever), but the general consensus is that they are “subpar”?

I come from a skaven background and I don’t see why people don’t take more of these. They won’t squabble with your CD around and they’ll provide your CD bunker with deep ranks to negate steadfast, cheap banners for blood and glory and fodder for enemy cavalry, big monsters and fanatics and such.

Sure they don’t kill… anything, but they won’t run as fast as their Ld 6 gives an impression of and they provide extra warm bodies in a very low model count army. 1/2 pts will even get them a 5+/6++ in combat.

Baggronor:

As the rest of the army is basically elite, it is slightly odd that people don’t take them much. I think part of it may be that they want more than one unit for their characters to join and this has to be IG as they can’t join Hobgoblins. And by the time they have 2 units of IG, their minimum Core is likely exceeded and they want the points for Specials and Rares.

Also, who needs tarpits when you have IDs and Destroyers?

They won’t squabble with your CD around
When I use Hobbo archers, I place them just over 6" from the CD units but within 12" of the general and BSB. That way they pass the panic tests from rolls of a 1 but might still get the +1 to Hit from Bloody Murderers. Archers are probably the most useful Hobbos imo, they can be buffed nicely with magic too (if you cast Enchanted Blades of Aiban on them while they have rolled Bloody Murderers, they are effectively BS5 :o).

Da Crusha:

Smog
I think it has to do with the hobgoblins we had in the Ravening hordes. they had the same stat line minus the light armour and knives and only cost 2 points each. they made a super sturdy throw away unit combined with general and bsb nearby. now the throw away unit costs twice as much. pretty much the reason I have hate for the dreadquake as well, Earthshaker was phenomenal in RH and now its quake is half as effective and cost twice as much. I like the dreadquake for the S5(10) though.

silentbob27:

I use a HW/Shield unit. It has always done me proud.

Zuh-Khinie:

I always field hobbos… I tend to give them a second hand weapon and stick them nice and close next to my regular dwarf warriors. They haven’t disappointed me thus far. Sure they’ll die, but they’re perfect for blocking and delaying any units you don’t want your main unit in contact with yet.