[Archive] Social media fatigue?

Willmark:

Funny that, my best friend in the world and I were discussing that very article.

cornixt:

The real issue is of disreputable advertising companies using random images that they don’t own to advertise products. This only got the attention it did because it was of such an unfortunate girl. I know that facebook allows firms to use your image if you are subscribed to them on Facebook, but this doesn’t sound like that.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I use it for my business, to keep customers updated on what’s going on. Somehow I feel that a good portion don’t really care though…but I am surprised when some people I don’t talk to very much approach me and know what I’ve been up to through Facebook.

Thommy H:

Yeah, you’d be surprised how many people use social media quite passively. I’ve had people I know in real life who never actually interact with me online in any visible way talk to me about things I’ve posted when we see each other face to face.

Skink:

Yeah, you'd be surprised how many people use social media quite passively. I've had people I know in real life who never actually interact with me online in any visible way talk to me about things I've posted when we see each other face to face.

Thommy H
That's me. I literally use facebook this way (although having lived in 4 continents I also use it to have the odd conversation with old time friends). I mean... It's just a website. Not my real life... Isn't it?

Fuggit Khan:

Facebook is what you make of it (or allow)…I use it solely to keep up with old friends who are no longer local. I originally signed up with it to track down old friends from my punk rock days in the late 70’s thru the 80’s. Which quickly led to a dilemma…couldn’t for the life of me remember everybody’s ‘real’ name. Back then it was common practice for punks to use nicknames for their friends…so my friends were people such as Bob Noxious, Ian Toxin, Terry Mohawk, Whitey Boots, etc. I was able to slowly track down about 80% of them, and ironically it turned out many of them had the same dilemma in searching for me, since I was known back in the day as Jamie Mohawk, and later called James No-Hawk.

Kera foehunter:

I love it …I have meet some cool people on the other side of the globe . that are into the hobby of Wargamming

The Kera cult is invading eastern europe

Zanko:

Except some wargaming fora I don’t use any of the social medias. :o

I don’t have the need to share my thoughts and my life with everybody.

I`m working hard and about 10 hours a day, after returning home I just want to have some rest and to share my spare time with my family (and sometimes painting some stuff in the basement ;)).

And there are some “old” and “odd” inventions like a telefon (no I have no mobil) and e-mail to get in contact with friends! Not to forget … I’m married and my wife likes to phone! :slight_smile:

:hashut

Willmark:

That’s understandable.

I work in IT , I work at a computer store in my part time job so it’s not like I’m a Luddite.

Fact remains (for example) I still like physical books ( and I’ve scored a ton of shelves on great shape people are tossing out) and have has enough of constant updates on the mundane.

Sticklander:

I sink too many minutes in the day browsing Facebook, and combined with other annoyances to do with it, has made me want to delete my account.

However, it still has great uses, and so i’ve installed an add-on which allows me to block certain websites for a specific amount of time, every day. I find it’s helped me be more productive! :smiley:

Admiral:

Guess why I’ve never participated in social media besides a few modelling fora? If nothing else, it’s a more pleasant experience to talk face-to-face (or at least via telephone, although I detest the phone) with people. The only valuable occasions for Facebook might be when you’re living a far distance away from your friends and family members, or when you wish to keep in touch with old class buddies and the like. Still, it shouldn’t be even a daily occurence if you want to avoid wasting time, and it shouldn’t be anything like a second full-time job.

Willmark:

One of my ahah moments was the fact that people willingly monetize themselves for Facebook’s gain. It’s a giant pontzi scheme.

Two weeks in, still not missing it.