[Archive] Space marine advice

Vogon:

A work colleague recently gave me a box of RTB01 marines which were still on sprues (about 25) and the original plastic land raider which has been assembled but not yet painted. Having been struck by a wave of nostalgia I have also dug out my old metal terminators from the first release of space hulk (including 1 heavy flamer a captain and a librarian) and a dreadnaught I got at the same time with the idea of building a small Space Marine Force.

Now I haven�?Tt played 40K for many years and would like to know what I might need to do apart from painting them to make a viable force out of this lot. If I need other stuff it will be my intention to make use of appropriate era stuff so I�?Tll be resorting to eBay or the market place on here.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Vogon

DAGabriel:

First info needed: what chapter? Vanilla?

Vogon:

Probably vanilla though painted up as Raven Guard.

spriten:

A core of 20 tactical marines and 5 scouts will get you solid scoring.
Most people seem to favour the Razorbacks over rhinos, but whichever you prefer, transports are vital, the more mech you have, the better.

If you want to field a Land Raider, terminators with Thunderhammer and stormshields are a great cargo.

Sprinkle in some landespeeders (w MM/HF), some dreads in pods or riflemen (two twin linked autocannons) and a librarian and you should have a functional list.    

You should seriously check out this site though, these guys can offer a lot more input than me.
http://www.3plusplus.net/search?q=vanilla+marine+list#uds-search-results

Oh, and if you want a fluffy list (raven guard) you’ll have to include shrike of course. He gives the entire army fleet, an makes terminators and Assault marines very viable.

Anyway, hope this may help some, but if you tell us at what points level you want to play, than we can help make a more specific list :slight_smile:

Vogon:

Thanks for that, though the link is blocked from my work PC.

What is a “psyflereads”? I don’t think I’ve come across that term before. I’ll have a look at Shrike but never really liked the model (I may convert my own to fit the general look of the army).

As far as points go I think that 1500 is the regular game size at the club I go to but I usually play 2000pts WFB so I’m not really sure.

Cheers

Vogon

silentbob27:

Or you can sell the RBT01 box and Land Raiders on ebay and buy a whole new SM army. Getting a good, competitive, flexible force using the old models is pretty difficult and expensive. I have an old school force myself. Very expensive to get together. I actually had to scratch build a LR because i didnt want to pay more than a new one for one.

I will say though, fielding a RT based army does feel pretty good.

snowblizz:

What is a "psyflereads"?  I don't think I've come across that term before.  I'll have a look at Shrike but never really liked the model (I may convert my own to fit the general look of the army).

Vogon
Marine fanbois are weird.

It's a codeword for the equipment, It's a "rifleman" dread armed with two-autocannons (so it only shoots but it does that a lot) and psyobolt ammo (only available to Greyknights I think?). Psy-fleman-dread. They likes their abbrevs the kids do. I would guess that's point for point the most effective equipment.
Don't worry, it's a sign of sanity not knowing these. At least that how I view it.

Vogon:

@silentbob27. I’m not going to eBay them and buy another marine force. After all I don’t play 40K much so there wouldn’t be much point but adding a couple of vintage models to what I already have to make a viable though not competitive force would be fun.

@snowblizz. Thanks for that explanation. The Dreadnought I have has a lascannon and a twinlinked bolter on a power fist (Dreadnought close combat weapon with stormbolter)

I’ll have a look at what things are goign for on ebay to fill out the force a bit though I was thinking of an old rapier to use for a “counts as” to be able to field that big cannon thing that comes with a techmarine :slight_smile:

Cheers

Vogon

silentbob27:

I'll have a look at what things are goign for on ebay to fill out the force a bit though I was thinking of an old rapier to use for a "counts as" to be able to field that big cannon thing that comes with a techmarine :)

Vogon
Not a bad counts as. If you can find them, get some assault marines with jump packs. Pricey, but worth it.

aka_mythos:

Your starting point, using what you have, seems to look like this:

Captain with Terminator Armor

Librarian with Terminator Armor

Terminators Squad (5) with Heavy Flamers

Dreadnought with Twin-Lascannon

Tactical Squad (10) with Missile Launcher and Flamer

Tactical Squad (10) with Missile Launcher and Flamer

Land Raider

Total: ~1200pts

Right now your army lacks assault and anti-vehicle elements. It’d be great if your Terminators were thunderhammer and storm shield equipped. I’d look at the Ironclad, Scouts, Assault squad, and Landspeeders as ways for filling out your remaining points. No way you have the points for all that, but they’d all do you good. You may also want to get some Rhinos for the tactical squads.

Coopervisor:

Mech seems to be the way forward with vanilla marines at the moment (BA seem better at all infantry lists due to descent of angels)

While not the most efficient “Internet list”, (no riflemen dreads, dakka predators, etc), I have some success with my current 2000pt list:

Vulkan

Librarian (terminator armour + Storm shield)

5 man Terminator assault squad (5x thunder hammer and storm shield)

Land raider crusader (extra armour, multi melta)

5 man sternguard squad (3x combi meltas, 2x heavy flamer)

rhino (dozer blade)

Contemptor (2x DCCW, 2x heavy flamer)

5 man tactical squad

Razorback (TL lascannon)

5 man tactical squad

Razorback (TL lascannon)

Predator (TL lascannon, heavy bolters)

Land raider achilles (dozer blade)

spriten:

@Vogon, sorry about that, I’ve been posting in too many 40k forums lately.

@Snowbliss they are indeed only called psfyledreads/men for Grey Knights (guess what I’m fielding most P)

Though I happen to be more of a Fantasy fanboy if anything, I’m just having a difficult time trying to find fantasy players in Norway. Seems like 40k is the big thing around here.

But take a look over at 3pluss, there you’ll get a lot of funny terms, like thunderbubble and Blood Rodeo. I find them charming though :slight_smile:

@Coopervisor: Vulkan works wonders at 2000 pts, but I’d try to utilize his abilities some more. MM/HF Land speeders are amazing if you field Vulkan :slight_smile:

snowblizz:

@Snowbliss they are indeed only called psfyledreads/men for Grey Knights (guess what I'm fielding most P)
Though I happen to be more of a Fantasy fanboy if anything, I'm just having a difficult time trying to find fantasy players in Norway. Seems like 40k is the big thing around here.
But take a look over at 3pluss, there you'll get a lot of funny terms, like thunderbubble and Blood Rodeo. I find them charming though :)

spriten
I must be getting old because it's more confusing than funny to me nowadays. I remember the good old days of "Fireknife" Crisissuits and whatever they terms were. I just don't follow the Internet list...ähum building activities, anymore. I find the optimization line fo thinking tedious even when following it to some degree. Even on the Beastman forum (which I post on daily) I had no clue until recently what the heck a "206" was.

I still miss the old Pete Haines Chaos codex so all the shiny stuff raining on marines annoy the heck out of me.
I know, I know, grumpy old guy... the Chaos gods promised me it was not going to be like that. Damn liars.

Kronus:

Vulken while good does not really fit in Raven Guard themed lists but then again neither do landraiders as they are not necessary as means of getting Termies where you need them. The best Ravenguard lists use Shrike and a load of Thunder hammer Termies to clean house. Though thematically it makes no sense given he lacks termie armour he gives his unit infiltrate/scout/fleet and I can tell you that infiltrating or scouting TH Termies are super scary. Keep your core to a minimum, perhaps two tacs w/ rhinos or razors and one scout squad w/tellion, add some landspeeders or attack bikes to do AT and add other units for flavour.

That said if you want to do a more jump pack heavy list given the theme you should consider using the BA dex instead.

Vogon:

aka_mythos as that’s pretty much what I have I’ll be looking to use that as the core of my force. I might see if I can pick up a couple of old style rhinos though if I need vehicle killing stuff would scouring eBay for just the thunderhammer and storm shields be worth it over the power and chainfists that I have?

I was thinking of looking for lightning claws which would be more “Raven Guard” but I guess I’d need to get the latest SM Codex before going too far down the road of buying stuff.

I notice no one has recommended a devastator squad, are these not valid? Is there any benefit in getting more variety of special weapons in the tactical squads (Lascannons etc.)?

Cheers

Vogon

Coopervisor:

aka_mythos as that's pretty much what I have I'll be looking to use that as the core of my force.  I might see if I can pick up a couple of old style rhinos though if I need vehicle killing stuff would scouring eBay for just the thunderhammer and storm shields be worth it over the power and chainfists that I have?  

I was thinking of looking for lightning claws which would be more "Raven Guard" but I guess I'd need to get the latest SM Codex before going too far down the road of buying stuff.

I notice no one has recommended a devastator squad, are these not valid?  Is there any benefit in getting more variety of special weapons in the tactical squads (Lascannons etc.)?

Cheers

Vogon

Vogon
Thunder hammer and powerfists both attack last, so having Stormshields 3++ rather than 5++ save means you're more likely to have enough guys left to fight back against any power weapons, MC, etc. Having a mix of lightning claws in a squad can work, but I prefer the all thunder hammer way.

Devastators work, but are really best armed with 4 missile launchers.

Lascannons in tactical squads are expensive, Lascannons are better taken else where (eg, razorbacks, sternguard).

I'd suggest getting the codex first though, so you can see what is available and what you have can be fielded. Although from what I can remember it doesn't have a lot of fluff on the raven guard.

On the topic of Raven guard, this log over at bolterandchainsword is a very nice example of how good they can look.

Vogon:

Thanks for that Coopervisor, I’ll get what I’ve got painted first and then go from there. One of the good things about the RBT01 is you get plenty of missile launchers so a devastator squad so armed may be on the cards :slight_smile:

That’s an awful lot of Forge World stuff on that link, I doubt mine will look that good.

Cheers

Vogon