Originally named title huh? I came up with that one all by myself.
Welcome CDO members and lurkers one and all, to my rather mundaine army blog. After deciding to take the plunge and sign up earlier this week and asking my rather annoying big hat question (sorry all), I’ve spent a few days working on my first chaos dwarfs… all two of 'em.
I didn’t know whether or not to put this in the army section or the conversion section. I intend to have this one thread to include all my stuff, so I thought this would be the best place.
Well here we go:
This is the first time I’ve ever attempted to use greenstuff for anything other than filling, and so If anyone can give me any advice I’d really appreciate it. What you see here is about 3 evenings work, and I’m a little concerned how long it’s going to take me to get them finished. I guess speed comes with practice.
Don’t worry about how long it seems to be taking. Once you get the first few under your belt you can really start cranking them out, especially if you make an assembly line and just do the same small step 20-30 times in a row (i.e. beards) then turn around and do the next small step as many times again (i.e. tusks, lips)… rinse and repeat. You’ll be ready to paint in no time (like me… cringe)
Great work sparrow this is really good gs work, much better than my own, you will get faster as you get used to using the stuff it all takes time, looking forward to seeing your next up date, great choice going with the big hats :hat off
How did you do the big hats? did you use a filler and just sculpted around it, or something else entirely?
The hats were a blob of green stuff worked into the rough shape by hand and then I used a pretty generic sculpting tool to smooth it a little more. After it was dried I then filed it and topped it with a piece of plasti-card. Again a small file was used to round and sharpen where necessary.
I wouldn't say I'm a complete beginner, I've been playing this game a while, but apart from the odd head or arm swap I haven't really pushed my creative side. I do like making bottled ships however, so I'm good at taking my time with things.
Thanks for everyones kind words and encouragement, it means alot.
Well I’ve been busy the last couple of days but I’ve managed to progress a little, at times quite literally one scale at a time.
I’ve been building up the armour, and I’ve also resculpted the plastic a little around the shoulder and neck of both models (the standard dwarfs don’t seem to require necks). I’ve shaved down the arms and built up the armour coming down from the shoulder. An arm reposition on one of the guys, and I prep’d a third torso, which I’ve turned the head on so I can get him to aim down the blunderbuss.
I started a blunderbuss, but its far from finished.
The big blob of putty is my attempt to start building my own sculpt, it’s made up of the little bits of unused putty that I have left over from everytime I use the stuff.
Wow, you certainly seem to have a lot of talent for sculpting, I can’t believe you only just started working with greenstuff! I’m very excited to see your first sculpt now, it seems to be progressing nicely
Well, this is my first test moulding. I did this to get multiple leg sections that can be then converted seperately.
I couldn’t resist putting together the model from the first run though! he he. It was like christmas when I was a kid. The actual cast was a little rushed as it was my first time, and so the resulting model is full of little bubbles. But he does fit together well, and thats the main thing.
Any feed back or advice would be greatly appreciated (especially regarding the ellimination of those darn bubbles.).
I have to give a big thanks to Xander for his tutorial. It was his excellent tutorial that got me this far. Cheers
That is top stuff there Sparrow! I am normally not a fan of the big hats, but this version you’ve got looks great. I am a touch envious - your rather good with the old greenstuff (and that’s my understatement of the year!) especially if you’ve not used it much before!
I can’t wait to see the rest of the stuff your working on. :cheers
Looking good hopefully the next one will have less bubbles. The simplest thing you can do to try and reduce bubbles is to inject resin as slowly and steadily as you can before it sets, it dose depend on how you set up the mold though.
I’m noticing a lot of bubbles in your cast. I suspect either your mix is off, you’re pouring from a paper cup, or you need more mold-sprue to let air out. I try and drum my fingers against the mold for about a minute as it sets to knock out any air bubbles. Hope that helps!
Those slaves have been put straight to work, cheers for that!
The simplest thing you can do to try and reduce bubbles is to inject resin as slowly and steadily as you can before it sets, it dose depend on how you set up the mold though.
I’m noticing a lot of bubbles in your cast. I suspect either your mix is off, you’re pouring from a paper cup, or you need more mold-sprue to let air out. I try and drum my fingers against the mold for about a minute as it sets to knock out any air bubbles.
Thanks guys for the advice, I have to say the later casts were better mainly because of these points. The actual moulds themselves are not really well designed (the air bubbles trap on the scales for example).
The next set of moulds I hope will turn out better.