[Archive] Spearhead Box sets (40k and Fantasy)

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

I was just speaking th the UK Trade sales department and i asked about the Lizardman Spearhead and was told that GW was stopping them completely as it is no longer cost effective for them to sell, so no more Spearheads brightening our lives ahead of the release dates

Has anyone else got any more info about this

snowblizz:

Huh?

Cost effective? Selling at the same price as regular figures without the cost for boxes.

Then again there’s a lot of GW logic I cannot fathom. It might very well be true.

Kera foehunter:

well does it really matter !!! you never get what you want anyway in a spearhead box set

GRNDL:

@snowblizz

Selling models without individual boxes and THEN reboxing them into one big box that sells for a large amount of money. I’m guessing that spearheads don’t sell because most buyers get sticker shock at the price and then buy them individually, not knowing how much they’ll save (if they do).

Lets face it, there’s no incentive to buy a spearhead over them seperately aside from the fact that you might get a model a week or two ahead of their individual releases. With the old army boxes, you got an army book AND a unique standard bearer not available anywhere else (unless you can pull strings within GW). Add to this the fact that most people probably won’t use everything in their spearheads for their army means that there’s a lot of waste, IMO.

Its no wonder spearheads aren’t selling.

two_heads_talking:

well does it really matter !!!! you never get what you want anyway in a spearhead box set

Kera foehunter
A spearhead is just a box releasing all the "new" releases in one box. It's not a want list unless you "want" the new stuff.  otherwise, it's not for everyone.

as to the original question, there was no savings with a spearhead, so for me, I can be patient and this way, I get the models I need and not some random assortment of models decided by someone else.

snowblizz:

@snowblizz

Selling models without individual boxes and THEN reboxing them into one big box that sells for a large amount of money. I'm guessing that spearheads don't sell because most buyers get sticker shock at the price and then buy them individually, not knowing how much they'll save (if they do).

Lets face it, there's no incentive to buy a spearhead over them seperately aside from the fact that you might get a model a week or two ahead of their individual releases. With the old army boxes, you got an army book AND a unique standard bearer not available anywhere else (unless you can pull strings within GW). Add to this the fact that most people probably won't use everything in their spearheads for their army means that there's a lot of waste, IMO.

Its no wonder spearheads aren't selling.

GRNDL
Ah, well see my WoC Spearhead came with the armybook. So I got that a few weeks ahead of others. Not that that matters, and I agree the limited edition models was cool. Though not when it was an BSB and the only BSB models made:(
Like I said, the HE one had the new character kit, the new dragon, new chariots...and more I believe, all stuff I was interested in. It wasn't available in stores so I decided I didn't need any of it.
The WoC ones was a bit weird as it was mostly metal models and even characters, but again it was the new things I happened to lack and wanted. Damn those models were nice.
Again the Ork spearhead wasn't that bad either, it had all the new models one could have wanted but I didn't quite feel like it.
Honestly though I can't seriously believe that GW thinks expensive kits don't sell well (which is most likely very true, but they are limited release anyway and I doubt sold under cost...) because have you seen what they want for their plastic table? *shudders*
If they'd just put some thought into it they might be able to sell them better, but then again GW seems to think penniless teenagers are their biggest market. I adamantly refuse to believe that. And yet push expensive packs at them.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

With them cutting the spearheads out, is this the first sign of the credit crunch starting to hit, if so what next?

snowblizz:

With them cutting the spearheads out, is this the first sign of the credit crunch starting to hit, if so what next?

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!
I wouldn't say spearheads are a big "loss-maker" for GW.
They have cut out a lot of the auxiliary functions already and they are pretty low on staff. GW has been in trouble, sort of, for a long time so they are already operating in emergency mode.
It would probably have been much worse for GW if the recent downturn came while they were still operating in LotR hype mode.
I'm betting they will be seeing a marked improvement this year. The low pound has suddenly made it very affordable for me to buy GW product from the UK, and the money they get from overseas sales (not everyone can order form the UK) will buy them more in the UK. (It isn't quite as simple as that, I know, but I think the general opinion is that rawmaterials are a fairly small part of GW's costs, and both they and fuel has gone down as well).
I think Forge World is going to see a fairly large increase in sales as those with euros in their pockets will find the resin models somewhat of a bargain right now.
Frankly those companies that will fail now are the medium ones who started up while times were good, especially if they provide rules and other support. The smaller miniatures companies will do ok as they really don't have large costs, their problem will "only" be the availability of loans.

Viskar Zhragoth:

I think the spearheads going away has a lot to do with production costs and shipping costs. And before flames start- yes I understand how much it costs to make the figs themselves does not change!

But the spearheads have new boxes (new production costs), and also marketing (new costs), as well as taking up production capabilites repackaging all of the spearheads (another new cost), then they have to pack (more new cost) and ship the spearheads weeks before the other products…(and 1,000 spearheads takes up a lot more room than 1,000 army books, 1,000 character models, etc, especially when you would be shipping 25,000 books at a time later…) which has to add a big amount to the cost. (I mean shipping isn’t exactly cheap from the UK to USA or anywhere else…)

Add to that fact that in order to send out a “sample” of all the new minis, they keep getting more and more expensive and you are getting a mishmash instead of really useful units…so their sales are small. I don’t think it is the credit crunch hitting them at all, just business…because $200-$300 could never be a loss leader for a company whose average product is around $25-$35!

At snowbliss: yeah, and in my WD, it was 175, with a note saying it was $200, and now it is $290! That was frustrating, but still really good table, so I’ll probably break down at some point…I can be a glutton fro punishment :wink:

Fallen246:

At snowbliss: yeah, and in my WD, it was 175, with a note saying it was $200, and now it is $290! That was frustrating, but still really good table, so I'll probably break down at some point....I can be a glutton fro punishment ;-)

Viskar Zhragoth
Price correction from mine as well.
I more-or-less see it as a must-have for groups and/or GamesMasters rather than every individual player, even if I would really like one.

snowblizz:

At snowbliss: yeah, and in my WD, it was 175, with a note saying it was $200, and now it is $290! That was frustrating, but still really good table, so I'll probably break down at some point....I can be a glutton fro punishment ;-)

Viskar Zhragoth
I more-or-less see it as a must-have for groups and/or GamesMasters rather than every individual player, even if I would really like one.

Fallen246
It seems to me it fills a certain niche. But if you listen to JJ's Standard Bearer he seems to think this is for each and every gamers but again since they believe in selling to teens what are you going to buy, the board or an army to play with, each are about the same... and you need the army before you need a table.:rolleyes:
The thing I still see as unclear is how well will the boards stay painted/modelled when you lug them around in the bag, the gaming mats and my miniatures constantly chip and shed flock if rubbed together in a bag.
As for groups... it depends? Our group has a gaming room we are allowed to use since we are a "youth club" basically. We can store all our terrain and boards there. I don't see us buying something like this. We can get a lot of DIY board for that kind of money.
If the painting and flocking can be made durable it will be great, if not it will be something of dud, IMHO.

Xerxes:

To me, spearhead sounds quite stupid. Only thing that is good with spearheads, is that you get the armybook/codex early. And it’s quite pricy if you just wanna read few days earlier. Personally I would never buy a spearhead. I would wait and buy then codex/armybook, and battalion or two with that money. :slight_smile:

snowblizz:

To me, spearhead sounds quite stupid. Only thing that is good with spearheads, is that you get the armybook/codex early. And it's quite pricy if you just wanna read few days earlier. Personally I would never buy a spearhead. I would wait and buy then codex/armybook, and battalion or two with that money. :)

Xerxes
Yeah, well, like the other stuff the spearhead fits a certain niche audience.
Personally I have absolutely no use for even one battallion box for WoC, DE and even more so for the HE one. However for all these races I *could* have been tempted by the spearhead. And the HE was not sold in stores, DE were sold out and I actually ordered a spearhead the same day I saw the new Juggernaught pictures... Well, told the guy who does the Indy store orders that he totally needs to make sure we get this spear head.

It had everything I wanted. New Knights, hounds, Marauder Horse and some of the metal stuff. Didn't really need the Chosen but the others were things I would have (wanted) gotten anyway.

dedwrekka:

Viskar Zhragoth

Fallen246
I see the table as something that a few good friends and gamers get together on and buy collectively rather than as a single person purchasing it.

Fallen246:

I see the table as something that a few good friends and gamers get together on and buy collectively rather than as a single person purchasing it.

dedwrekka
Six friends each keep a chunk of it?

superfella:

dedwrekka

Fallen246
lol, can i have 5 volunteers to buy one with me? That is, so long as I can keep one of the hill sections, because i dont like the ones with the pits of skulls..!

dedwrekka:

dedwrekka

Fallen246
lol, can i have 5 volunteers to buy one with me? That is, so long as I can keep one of the hill sections, because i dont like the ones with the pits of skulls..!

superfella
Well, I did say good friends. The kind that wouldn't mind it being at one persons house, or with one person in charge of transporting it between places.