[Archive] [split] And *this* is how I'd do it in 8th Edition

Gar Shadowfame:

yet despite writing this you didnt know about that combination, and i found it after 5 minutes, without following certain set guidelines, like all games developers do, creator is bound to make mistakes like that,

but can you tell me what role this army should fulfill in a game, you know bunch of ideas sticked together is still just that, even if it looks good, and i admit graphicaly it does, and i dont comment on fluff- ever, d u know what are strenghts and weaknesses of builds of characters made with ur items,

thommy u didnt say on this forum, “hey guys i just have an idea of an army list could you play a few games for me with this rules and post what you think of it, i am gonna have a look and compute ut feedback after a month”

no, you said that u have your set in stone idea and plz read through for glitches

so as a member of general public, i wrote back

read, digest, and do what your nature dictates (although only ppl who accept reality can hope to grow, since if someone claims somethings fine, he wont see a reason to change :-]l==>

Baggronor:

So:

i am not an english teacher but i am above the average brit, australian, or american
then:
yet despite writing this you didnt know about that combination, and i found it after 5 minutes, without following certain set guidelines, like all games developers do, creator is bound to make mistakes like that,

but can you tell me what role this army should fulfill in a game, you know bunch of ideas sticked together is still just that, even if it looks good, and i admit graphicaly it does, and i dont comment on fluff- ever, d u know what are strenghts and weaknesses of builds of characters made with your items,

thommy u didnt say on this forum, “hey guys i just have an idea of an army list could you play a few games for me with this rules and post what you think of it, i am gonna have a look and compute ut feedback after a month”

no, you said that u have your set in stone idea and plz read through for glitches

so as a member of general public, i wrote back

read, digest, and do what your nature dictates (although only ppl who accept reality can hope to grow, since if someone claims somethings fine, he wont see a reason to change :-]l==>
Dude, just stop. Seriously.

Thommy H:

I did know about it - there was literally a copy and paste error. Because I compiled the entry from a combination of the original version of the list and the later Daemonic Engine rules that were published in the Word of Hashut, not all of the limitations were carried through into this version. You caught the bad combo, so thanks - but all it took to fix it was the addition of one asterisk.

So, even though you keep saying I can’t take criticism and that this has emerged fully formed (despite the dozens of revisions the 7th Edition book underwent in the last thread as a result of feedback from others…) I’ve actually spent all evening making alterations to produce a new version. It’s just that I don’t agree with your criticisms because they’re mostly based on erroneous assumptions.

u didnt say on this forum, "hey guys i just have an idea of an army list could you play a few games for me with this rules and post what you think of it, i am gonna have a look and compute ut feedback after a month"
And why would anyone do that for me? Why use my rules instead of the dozens of other lists and half-baked concepts floating around? The Indy GT had the ‘hook’ that it was going to be semi-official. My book has the ‘hook’ that it looks really nice and has already incorporated feedback and creative content from the community. I still don’t expect many people to bother using it but, hey, I’m enjoying all this attention.

Gar: this is a project for fun, for me, and hopefully it provides entertainment for other people as well. I hope everyone is enjoying seeing what a real Chaos Dwarf Armies book might look like, and maybe they’re reading the background and looking at the photos and maybe, if they like that stuff, they might persuade a friend to let them try the list in their next game. That’s the best case scenario: that it gives a handful of people pleasure. It appears that this book does not give you pleasure. In fact, you seem quite annoyed by it and me. So maybe it’s not for you? Maybe you’re just not the intended audience? Maybe you’re taking this too seriously. Enjoy it for what it is: some crazy nerd’s try at making something fun and possibly worthwhile. Maybe you don’t actually have a duty to debunk me. Maybe no one cares.

Gar Shadowfame:

You caught the bad combo, so thanks - but all it took to fix it was the addition of one asterisk.
its not about how easily you fixed it, if u have flawed methods same problems might appear elsewhere, if 5 minutes reading gives you 1 error what would we get after an hour?

another thing, "feedback from reading" is only showing most visible design errors, it will not show how unit behaves in environment, some units are priced point by point according to their statline, and some arent because they have drawbacks in presence of other units, items, armies in the game, so only serious feedback that can seriosly be a cutting edge of game design is from games played, and i mean played on a field with dices and stuff, not in ppl's heads

i am not anoyed by the book, i disaprove attitude
"i will show u a book, enjoy it and praise me, but dont say anything i wouldnt approve cos all the ppl around will tell u ur unfriendly"
"also i did it its mine, i show it to u to comment but it wont change the basic ideas cos it wont, i am a friendly amateur though"
c'mon, it starts to sound that i wont be able to call certain geographic region "the British Isles" not to offend some South Ireland people....

PS
About islands its not a joke but politicaly correct geography book

Thommy H:

We’re done here, Gar. Feel free to continue to talk, but I won’t be listening.

Anyway, the new version is about to go up! A lot of changes, some big some small. Most you already know, but there a few more subtle ones in there. I changed Infernal Shells because although Gar’s views were inexpertly expressed, I didn’t see how the lack of guess ranges in 8th made them a lot more effective. Now, you have to score at least one wound to hinder the target’s movement. I’m really liking the new version of Mortal Engines too - those little Death Rockets as Daemonic Engines never quite sat right to me, but now you can quite easily make one that costs exactly 80 points - it’s like I planned it!

Update in first post.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thommy H: Meant to say it earlier, from what I flicked through, it’s achieved it’s aimof looking good and like the real-deal. I’ve not yet looked at it more fully, mostly because I have something of a head-cold that is making it difficult to concentrate, but once it’s cleared, I’ll try to get a better look, both for it’s intended purpose and to see if I can give any constructive criticism.

Gar Shadowfame: You have been reprimanded about your manner of response to self-made army books before. You are continuing along that route and it is getting increasingly belligerent. I’m sure that Thommy H welcomes constructive criticism, but yours most certainly hasn’t been. He has proven that he is taken on people’s points when provided in the manner of peers and when presented in a way that is intended to be helpful. Yours, unfortunately, do not come across in either manner. They come across as you trying to find faults that don’t exist (such things as “that doesn;t make sense” and “the mount gets re-rolls because of hatred”) and in a format that makes people think you have been offended in some way. You are acting really quite pompously, both by the way in which you’ve been saying things (implying that you’re better than everyone else, in particular Thommy H) and by dint of the fact that you say you understand how to use the English language so well, yet you choose not to, despite Xander having specifically asked you to and the rules specifying that you must do so. I strongly recommend that you try to rectify these problems, before the staff find it problematic enough to start discussing it and the consequences (note: that’s regarding posting style, personal attitude and the way in which you type). Also, take note of the fact that Thommy H actually took on board something that you said despite all of that and incorporated it, yet you still then said that he’s not listening to anyone.

Gar Shadowfame:

i give up u might as well delete my posts

sorry but whenever i post some serious doubts some of u is annoyed about lack of respect to someones work (however bad it is) all u want is patting in the back “keep it up mate” style and nothing more

me ignoring grammar is the same as way most of ppl makes armylists, rulebooks etc, you are ignoring proffesional aspect of it, not htingking about game balance because its fun, well then great it is fun, but keep ur fun in your closet and if you show your fun to other people expect them to say, sorry mate it sucks because it lacks foresight, theme, open attitude

did u read my last post hashut’s, proly u didnt, if u did you would see that my disregard for corectness is almost statutory,  you dont like the way i am saying to old jealous sods that they cant write proper game rules, and their only line of defense (AFTER CLAIMING THE RULES ARE FINE, NOT BEFORE) is  “oh i did it for fun so why are u acting like i mean something with this work”  well i am a perfectionists i expect a lot, sad thing rly

any way i’d like to have this account removed from this site, i do not wish to post here anymore, and as unregistered guest i can view all i need.

i repeat, i would like to have my account erased

regards

Gar

Baggronor:

but keep your fun in your closet
So, thats what we've been doing wrong.
well i am a perfectionists i expect a lot, sad thing rly
I'm sure I've said this to you before, but, I say this as a fellow perfectionist, you can only expect your standards from yourself. Other people have different criteria and priorities, which will rarely, if ever, match your own.

AGPO:

i give up u might as well delete my posts
sorry but whenever i post some serious doubts some of u is annoyed about lack of respect to someones work (however bad it is) all u want is patting in the back "keep it up mate" style and nothing more
me ignoring grammar is the same as way most of ppl makes armylists, rulebooks etc, you are ignoring proffesional aspect of it, not htingking about game balance because its fun, well then great it is fun, but keep ur fun in your closet and if you show your fun to other people expect them to say, sorry mate it sucks because it lacks foresight, theme, open attitude
did u read my last post hashut's, proly u didnt, if u did you would see that my disregard for corectness is almost statutory,  you dont like the way i am saying to old jealous sods that they cant write proper game rules, and their only line of defense (AFTER CLAIMING THE RULES ARE FINE, NOT BEFORE) is  "oh i did it for fun so why are u acting like i mean something with this work"  well i am a perfectionists i expect a lot, sad thing rly
any way i'd like to have this account removed from this site, i do not wish to post here anymore, and as unregistered guest i can view all i need.
i repeat, i would like to have my account erased
regards
Gar

Gar Shadowfame
Last I checked there were no forum rules against fun. There is one about attempting to use proper grammar though, and there are certainly rules regarding flaming and trolling. There is plenty of freedom of speech on the internet, but please don't be surprised if others don't share your views and don't appreciate consistent barracking. We ask for good grammar as a common courtesy to other members, in much the same way as we ask for civility. I will make these the last words I say on the topic.

Grimstonefire:

If a member asks to be deleted from the site we as staff will oblige (or give a permanent ban, depending on how much work it is to delete all their posts).

Thread split to try and keep things on topic.