[Archive] Star. Wars Episode VII new trailer

Dînadan:

So what do people think of the new trailer? (link to trailer for those who haven’t seen it included in an article haphazardly analysing it)

Doombeard:

I thought it was full of stylish sequences and lavish production design and nice looking imagery, but lacked any narrative or real substance like Star Trek did . Also his worlds he builds lack the small minutia and detail that Lucas was so good at embellishing. The Chrome Stormtrooper thing is just silly. Some cool shots though.

Dînadan:

Don’t see anything wrong with the chrome stormie - it’s presumably the armour of an elite unit/regiment rather than something that’s supposed to be in widespread use and has precedence in the chrome armour worn by the Sith troopers in the KotOR games and the black armour worn by some of the elite units in the EU. It could also be them introducing cortosis, phrik or beskargam (spellings?) to the films.

cornixt:

More excited from this trailer than any for the previous 3 films.

Baggronor:

Pretty stoked for this. Looks like it could be the first decent SW since the original 3.

Skink:

Pretty stoked for this. Looks like it could be the first decent SW since the original 3.

Baggronor
Same feeling.

Doombeard:

I think Gareth Edwards Rogue 1 will be much better

torn:

I can’t wait. I love Star Wars OT, Star Wars prequels, and Star Wars EU even though Disney nerfed it’s canon-ness.

I’m pretty sure the monologue by Luke at the start will be him talking to Ben skywalker although they could easily write him and his mother (Mara jade) out of existence. Clearly the empire is still a force so some changes to the EU will have been made.

I really like how they haven’t changed the designs of stuff too far from the OT. The X wings and Tie fighters woooo

Dînadan:

I can't wait. I love Star Wars OT, Star Wars prequels, and Star Wars EU even though Disney nerfed it's canon-ness.

I'm pretty sure the monologue by Luke at the start will be him talking to Ben skywalker although they could easily write him and his mother (Mara jade) out of existence. Clearly the empire is still a force so some changes to the EU will have been made.

torn
Unlikely that it'll be towards Ben considering he's probably been exiled with the rest of the EU.

Also, in the EU the Empire never stopped being a strong political power unless I'm mistaken. It fractured post-Endor (and even then not straight away) and got pushed away from the Coreworlds (again not straight away), but all the way up to the Vong invasion the Rebellion/New Republic saw it as a major threat, especially during periods of strong leaderships (eg Thrawn, Pelleon) and about a hundred years after the OT it was back in power as the top government in the galaxy (albeit before it split up into the Sith Empire and the Fel Empire).

Re: the de-canonising of the EU (and actually, hasn't it just been re-cannoned into a parallel universe rather than a full de-canonisation?) - at first I was disappointed by it, but recently I've been thinking it might not be 100% bad; if whoever is in charge of co-ordination the new films, their tie-in material and the new EU that's going to spring from them is on the ball, then they could work to integrate elements from the old EU in broad strokes if not in full (and if possible they could even port over some things directly, provided the sequal trilogy (ST? ;P) doesn't contradict them). Of course it would require the team behind the ST to give a damn about the good stuff in the EU/bother to look it up, so it's unlikely this could happen.

torn:

The empire was pretty much a minor power when you get to the legacy era. They still exist but the aren’t really a threat to the Republic, who themselves are slowly becoming like the empire.

Dînadan:

Presumably they went through a resurgence between the point where the books got to and the point the comics got to as a major plot point in the Legacy era comics is that an Empire-Sith alliance overthrew the Galactic Alliance (think that’s the name of the Republic’s replacement) before the Sith turned on the Emperor causing a schism that resulted in two dominant Empires while the GA was reduced to a shadow of its former strength.

torn:

I think legacy era books are up to date now I.e approx 40 yrs ABY whereas the legacy era comics are over 100 yrs ABY.

I think the clearest thing saying Disney are doing their own thing is that chewbacca is this alive.

Doombeard:

Dînadan:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/headlines/rogue-one-teaser-debuts-at-star-wars-celebration-details-of-first-star-wars-spin-off-film-revealed/

Doombeard
Good thing for the guys behind this that the EU has been removed from main canon - this is what, the 100th copy of the Death Star plans that the Rebellion have stolen? :p

Doombeard:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/headlines/rogue-one-teaser-debuts-at-star-wars-celebration-details-of-first-star-wars-spin-off-film-revealed/

Doombeard
Good thing for the guys behind this that the EU has been removed from main canon - this is what, the 100th copy of the Death Star plans that the Rebellion have stolen?  :p

Dînadan
I don't know man I don't read the graphic novels or comic books. I just think Rogue 1 will be better! We'll see though . Ep7 will be out December.