[Archive] Starscream Vs Superfella: a tale of 2 northerners

starscream:

Had an idea whilst talking to Superfella today, we will both collect and paint a 1000pt 40k army, logging our progress in this blog before a face off in january at our local battle bunker.

The last time we faced at 40k was just as 5th ed was released with Superfellas Salamander marines narrowly defeating my Necrons (damn you phase out!!).

Hopefully blogging this and being in competition with each other should inspire us to complete said armies and make more of an effort.

I have chosen the Thousand Sons! I have never played or painted 40k chaos in my 20 years in this hobby so am looking forward to something new. I intend to have unts of Rubric marines supported by a dreadnought, maybe a defiler or daemons and led by the daemon prince himself Magnus The Red.

I have loadsa conversions and ideas in mind… wish me luck!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Sounds very good. For some cheaper (both model and pointswise) troops choices, you can take normal Chaos Space Marines and give them an Icon of Tzeentch (gives them all a 5+ Invulnerable Save and allows Daemons to Deep Strike within 6" safely). However, they miss out on several cool things that the Thousand Sons entry has. Thousand Sons never count as having moved for the purposes of shooting (so can always fire 24" once or rapid fire at 12"), but count as moving through difficult terrain.

It all sounds very good and very fun. I will keep my eye on this one :wink:

What will Superfella be using?

What sort of conversions do you have in mind so far? Any ideas on Magnus’ equipment? If you take daemons, I’d recommend having the models be blue horrors (whether you just buy horrors and paint them blue or sculpt some or buy some of the old blue horrors is up to you, lol) because they are weaker (hence the not as great Invulnerable Save compared to Pink Horrors) and in WAR they have the shortest range out of the summoned daemons, represented here by the fact that they have no ranged attacks.

Just some thoughts :smiley:

superfella:

And I, fellow hobbyists, have decided to defend the imperium’s borders with an Imperial Guard Company.

Im planning on basing the army around a Guardsmen Infantry Platoon, most likely with four infantry squads, which will be supported by an oh so reliable Leman russ.

A veteran Squad mounted in a chimaera, will be my unit of choice to plug the line when my flash lights can no longer keep the enemy blinking, and a special weapon team carrying 3 of my weapon of choice, the flamer, will also be on hand to help repel any assaulting marines who make it through.

I see the list being rounded off with a small detachment of ratling snipers (love the models and the rules), to try and pin some of his units for a turn to allow my greater numbers to wittle him down.

As I have a lot of infantry models to build & paint, I imagine my conversions will be kept to a minimum where possible, and Im hoping to acheive a nice, cohesive look to the force by keeping my pallette simple.

I have a colour scheme already in mind (grey & black, all the better for fighting in the war torn future of the 41st millenium), and I hope to have some test pieces uploaded for your viewing pleasure by the end of the week.

I know that star scream has already requested you wish him luck… but I also know that as fellow human beings… your support should rightly be with myself and humanity’s first, last and greatest line of defence, against the scum of the universe… thats right… its the men in… well… grey and black… the Cadian 100th!

Hashut’s Blessing:

superfella, I believe that the Thousand Sons are Fearless (like the troop choice of each god), sot he ratlings may not have much effect in terms of pinning: however, 2+ to hit, 4+ to wound and if you get a 6 to hit, no armour save and automatic wound; well, let’s just say that they should kill a few :wink:

I can’t really comment on the rest of the build as I don’t know IG that well, but it seems solid. More shots = more chances of beating statistics and killing Marines :smiley:

It’s wise to keep conversions to a minimum, but I find them fun to make and cool to have, so consider any upgraded model game for conversion still (if that’s too many, remove weapon upgrades from the list of possible conversions. Well, for the most part): it could help to break up the monotony of 10,000 men :smiley:

Grey and black sounds cool: grey cloth and black armour, vice versa or camo patterned grey/black/white and black armour?

I wish BOTH of you luck, but ultimately, I have already won :smiley: I get to see the progression of these two armies :stuck_out_tongue:

superfella:

Mr HB, sitting on the fence will bring around the Imperiums wrath just as much as siding with the enemy… :slight_smile:

I was thinking black cloth and grey armour plates & gun casings.

yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the ratlings, but I expect Mr Starsccream to include a few non-thousand son marine units in his army (if he doesnt then it will be REALLY small and elitist), then the pinning can be directed at them.

Of course, if he does go all 100% thousand sons, the sniper rifles will hopefully help me knock a few marines out of his squads each turn.

Massed firepower knows no equal, especially when the Imperial Guard is your sledgehammer.

From reading other forums, it appears that plasma weapons are the way to go, but I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with fire, so a flamer toting special weapon squad just HAD to be included!

starscream:

The insiration behind me wanting to do a 1k Sons army was due to picking up a Magnus The Red miniature. Gamewise I’ll just use daemon prince rules for him and I’ll have to come up with an alt mini for when we play at the bunker as I cant see them allowing a Ronin mini (unless I can bluff that I scratch built it).

Hashut’s Blessing:

superfella: I’m a CSM player and a mod. I can do whatever the hell I like :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: hehehe.

The sceme sounds good. I’d recommned doing a dark grey on the armour and MAYBE a lighter one on the guns.

If he does have all Fearless models, you’re right, it will be a small army. Therefore, the ratlings will kill dozens of percentile points of his army :smiley: If he includes non-Fearless, you can pin them as you said and/or kill the Fearless (which tend to be tougher to kill).

Massed firepower is fun: hence why I take as many heavy bolters as I can in my army :smiley:

Plasma weapons are good because they can rapid fire and they can pierce softer tanks and all troops. The problem is the “Gets Hot” rule. Essentially, you make an armour save or die if you roll a one. If you fire two shots, it’s if you roll one or two (these are to hit btw). Flamers are excellent because they negate cover, hit lots of troops and are pretty damaging.

starscream: I’m intrigued as to the miniature you have/are obtaining. Any pics, please?

starscream:

Here is a pic of another the same as mine I googled up…

Hashut’s Blessing:

DAMN that’s cool! Are you going to convert it in any way, do you think?

starscream:

I wasnt planning on it, have seen a few nice conversions where people have added some Tzeentch icons and wings to show him post-heresy.

I was worried he was a little large but after some research he seems the right size for Magnus!

superfella:

a CSM player? Curse you Mr HB!

:slight_smile:

I shall cleanse the taint of Chaos from the 41st Millenium. Until Chaos Dwarves in Space arrive, at which point I shall rethink my anti imperium predjudices…

Well my first 5 guardsmen are finished, just waiting for the inks to dry then I will take a picture to update the thread.

5 down… 60 to go…

Warhammerman:

Remember superfella. The God-Emperor protects! Kill the tainted! Cleanse the unholy fires of chaos with our holy light of the Emperor!

(you need a space marine on your side, so here I am!)

starscream:

Have finished a test mini for my 1k sons, looks ok, will post some pics before I get to work on the rest of the squad. Did some work on a Chaos dread too. The current chaos dreadnought is 1. pricy and 2. awful so I have set about converting a marine one to the dark gods with cunning use of tomb kings bitz.

superfella:

Remember superfella.  The God-Emperor protects!  Kill the tainted!  Cleanse the unholy fires of chaos with our holy light of the Emperor!  

Warhammerman
Nice to see that your loyalties lie with the God Emperor!

:-)

btw, does anybody know whether rending weapons ignore invulnerable saves? or just regular armour saves?

and is a sniper rifle rolls a 6 to hit, does that count as rending, and do you get an invulerable save?

starscream:

No they dont, yes it does and yes you do!

Hashut’s Blessing:

starscream: something needs to be done with his free hand, whether you place an Imperial Guard (in superfella’s colour scheme of course, lol) in it being crushed or magic blasting forth or something coller that you may think of.

superfella: 5 done is more than I seem to do each month :wink: Having said that, I’ve painted quite a lot this year according to my pledge, lol. Besides, I love the Imperial Guard for some reason. I consider making some for myself and using their rules, but maybe Chaosifying them :stuck_out_tongue:

Warhammerman: I am too :smiley: Mine just worship Chaos :wink:

starscream: I’m very intrigued and I’d also like to see the dreadnought. I received one of the plastic Assault on Black Reach Ones in a bunch that I bought. I’ve converted it, using several 6th edition Chaos Warrior standard poles, some flail chains with axes on, a 6th edition Chaos Warrior shield, placing an exhaust in the fist to make the flamer integrated, adding a sponson head and placing a Marauder standard top on the front. Painted up in my scheme and has switchable arms. Looks the part :wink:

superfella: Rending weapons cause rending wounds on the roll to hit of a 6, which wound automatically and ignore armour saves, but not invulnerable saves or cover saves. If you get 2-5+ on a sniper rifle (unless you’re Eldar), then you roll a 4+ to wound and they get their armour save as normal.

superfella:

thanks HB… your like a living rule book… even if your loyalties are on the wrong side of the eye!

Hashut’s Blessing:

I do what I can :wink:

(especially for the “other” side.)

Warhammerman:

Remember superfella.  The God-Emperor protects!  Kill the tainted!  Cleanse the unholy fires of chaos with our holy light of the Emperor!  

Warhammerman
Nice to see that your loyalties lie with the God Emperor!

superfella
My loyalties lie with the God-Emperor, not a bunch of marines that still haven't managed to take over Terra. But, the 3rd time is always the luckiest. (haha, you failed in Abadon's Crusade to even make a decent assault on the Imperium and the Horus Heresy was pitiful)

:cheers:cheers

It's good to trash talk behind a computer.

starscream:

But ultimately Chaos will win, it has been foretold!