[Archive] Starter 2500 pts

sitaavanu:

Picked up the CD book yesterday from my local game store. I’m a sucker for unique armies and i hate traditional dwarfs so … i’m thinking of taking the plunge. Wanted to see if I could get some constructive feedback on the following list.

Sorcerer-Prophet, lvl4, Healing Potion, The Mask of the Furnace, Lore of Hashut - 400 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, Black Hammer of Hashut, Ironcurse Icon, Enchanted Shield, BSB - 175 Pts.

Daemonsmith Sorcerer, lvl2, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Scroll, Lore of Metal - 180 Pts.

Hobgoblin Khan, Shield, LA, Giant Wolf - 56 Pts.

28 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, M, S, C, Pistol - 370 Pts.

29 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, M, S, C, Pistol - 382 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.

4 Bull Centaur Renders, 2xHw - 180 Pts.

Hellcannon - 205 Pts.

Hellcannon - 205 Pts.

Total: 2499

The reason for the black hammer on the bsb is simple, in CC I can use ashstorm and turn him into an absolute monster. Hit on 3s wound on 2s and auto kill. Maybe better to drop it though and go for a ward save, thoughts?

Bull centaurs with their huge bases (from what I read forge world is stating they should be on 50x50) is pretty intense size for attacks so the XHWs help alleviate this.

two engineers means the cannons have a very small chance of misfiring. My main caster is going to be very durable with his 3+ 4+/2+ and healing pot. The lvl2 I think metal will be a good fit for the + to hit with pistols or lowering oppents armor saves. Is kinda fluffy and the ruby ring will help clear chaff.

Khans are standard chaff drop

Magma cannons look awesome, their rules are awesome, many people have said they are good, and they synergize with lore of Hashut.

Hellcannon str10 d6 wounds with the varity of big monsters running around the tables now a days I am all about blowing these things up.

I’m uncertian about the pistols, I think they are a good buy but not 100%. Also I can’t seem to find any clear answers one way or the other, do the forge world models come with pistol arms?

Am I on the write track?

sitaavanu:

Picked up the CD book yesterday from my local game store. I’m a sucker for unique armies and i hate traditional dwarfs so … i’m thinking of taking the plunge. Wanted to see if I could get some constructive feedback on the following list.

Sorcerer-Prophet, lvl4, Healing Potion, The Mask of the Furnace, Lore of Hashut - 400 Pts.

Infernal Castellan, Black Hammer of Hashut, Ironcurse Icon, Enchanted Shield, BSB - 175 Pts.

Daemonsmith Sorcerer, lvl2, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Scroll, Lore of Metal - 180 Pts.

28 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, M, S, C, Pistol - 370 Pts.

29 Chaos Dwarf Infernal Guard, M, S, C, Pistol - 382 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.

Magma Cannon - 145 Pts.

4 Bull Centaur Renders, 2xHw - 180 Pts.

Hellcannon - 205 Pts.

Hellcannon - 205 Pts.

Total: 2499

The reason for the black hammer on the bsb is simple, in CC I can use ashstorm and turn him into an absolute monster. Hit on 3s wound on 2s and auto kill. Maybe better to drop it though and go for a ward save, thoughts?

Bull centaurs with their huge bases (from what I read forge world is stating they should be on 50x50) is pretty intense size for attacks so the XHWs help alleviate this.

two engineers means the cannons have a very small chance of misfiring. My main caster is going to be very durable with his 3+ 4+/2+ and healing pot. The lvl2 I think metal will be a good fit for the + to hit with pistols or lowering oppents armor saves. Is kinda fluffy and the ruby ring will help clear chaff.

Khans are standard chaff drop

Magma cannons look awesome, their rules are awesome, many people have said they are good, and they synergize with lore of Hashut.

Hellcannon str10 d6 wounds with the varity of big monsters running around the tables now a days I am all about blowing these things up.

I’m uncertian about the pistols, I think they are a good buy but not 100%. Also I can’t seem to find any clear answers one way or the other, do the forge world models come with pistol arms?

Am I on the write track?

MLP:

Not a bad first list, welcome to the forums.

Some things that I think of reading your list:

If you’re keeping the Prophet back with war machine remember lore of Hashut is pretty low ranged between about 12"-24". Why not put him with your infernal guard.

You’re right about Bull centaurs but as they have low attacks anyway you may as well make them hit hard. Great weapons are a good choice.

Magma cannons are awesome. However not versatile. I prefer a magma and a deathshrieker sharing a daemonsmith.

Hell cannons are also pretty good, however they will change soon with the new WoC book. So I’d wait for that before getting two.

Pistols are pretty pointless unless the infernals have ranged weapons(it will bring their stand and shoot range down to short range). use the points for spears on the Khans or something.

You’re on the right track I’d say but that list could get pretty boring to play. I don’t think it’ll be tactically diverse either.

For more ideas check out nilbog’s thread on tactics here and my summary on units in the Legion of Azgorh here

nilbog:

As always, mlp makes some very good points.

Be aware that hellcannons are usually comped in tournaments to a 0-1 choice, even for warriors of chaos. With re-rolls from the daemonsmith, they are even better for chaos dwarfs; I’d take one at most - you’re unlikely to make your friends happy with two, and at tournaments you won’t be allowed. Saying that, my hellcannon always underperforms and rampages after chaff. I’ve never seen dwarfs move so quick.

I’d swap you’re bull centaurs around a bit; give them great weapons and the gleaming pennant (you’ll need a standard bearer). They are often away from the 12" bsb/general bubble and the reroll comes in handy.

It’s nice to see a list without the destroyer (even though I use one unashamedly). However, you could consider dropping one magma cannon and one hellcannon for a unit of 6 fireborn, which will give you a bit more flexibility. Also you only need one daemonsmith near your warmachines then.