[Archive] Starting Dawi Zharr, 1600 pts LoA

Stiopa:

Hello everyone

I’m still searching for a WHFB army, something with cool fluff, nice models and good killing power. Normally this would bring me to Dwarfs, but I find their lack of magic phase reducing the fun. So, Chaos Dwarf it is :slight_smile:

I plan to start small army at 1600 pts, to get the feeling of them and create some foundation for future, larger force. So far I came up with this:

General - Sorcerer-Prophet

Ogre Blade

Enchanted Shield

Dispel Scroll

Dawnstone

Lore of Hashut

BSB - Infernal Castellan

The Mask of the Furnace

30 Infernal Guard

Full Command

HW/Shield

Banner of Eternal Flame

10 Infernal Guard

Musician

Fireglaive

4 Bull Centaur Renders

Extra HW

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker Rocket

In theory two war machines should soften the enemy enough for the block of IG to manage, with handgunners and Bull Centaurs acting as support. Not sold on the idea of giving magic weapon to my general, but it would seem like a waste to keep him out of combat.

Will it manage as a starting force?

rabotak:

first of all: welcome to the cause, you will not regret sacrificing your cash to hashut :wink: !

second: I have to admit i haven´t calculated the points cost yet, but you have written yourself a good starting force. IMO it has everything you need at 1600 points, a solid block, small calibre support, solid and versatile warmachines and bull centaurs!

personally, i don´t see the need of giving the prophet a magic weapon, since a) he already carries a weapon with quite some useful options and b) he is your main and only caster and should see close combat only when needed. only when fielding multiple casters (or in bigger battles even prophets), and the prophet is mounted on a taurus, I start to add equipping a magic weapon to my considerations.

Time of Madness:

As rabotak mentioned you don’t need the weapon on the prophet. Drop it and the dawnstone in favour of the 4+ ward save.

I’m not sold on the unit of 10 glaives. You’d be better off investing the points in another shrieker or magma cannon. You could always add a cheap daemonsmith as well to help support the warmachines.

Give the prophet level 4 and the bsb a shield.

Time of Madness

Stiopa:

Thanks for your help :slight_smile: The prophet was lvl 4 to begin with, I forgot to mention it. BSB cannot use a shield in CC, so I won’t bother with it. 10 IG with fireglaives is there to protect flank of the large HW IG block and provide some S5, which would be needed. After some changes the list looks like this:

General - Sorcerer-Prophet
Lvl 4
Enchanted Shield
Dispel Scroll
4+ Ward
Lore of Hashut

BSB - Infernal Castellan
The Mask of the Furnace

29 Infernal Guard
Full Command
HW/Shield
Banner of Eternal Flame

10 Infernal Guard
Musician
Fireglaive

4 Bull Centaur Renders
Ba’hal, St. Bearer
Banner of Swiftness
Extra HW

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker Rocket

As an alternative I could rid of fireglaive IG and squeeze in 30 Hobgoblins with musician, standard, bows and shields. But I don’t know, if 30 would be enough, they work better in bigger blocks I suppose…

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I like this list. Strong close combat, solid magic, a Battle Standard Bearer, and some War Machines for thinning out the enemy. Even a token unit of Fireglaives to jump your characters into should the worst happen.

I’m not sure why you think the Castellan cannot use a shield though.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Stiopa:

I'm not sure why you think the Castellan cannot use a shield though.

Grimbold Blackhammer
You may be right, this could be a mistake. Apparently in the old armybooks BSB couldn't use shields. Regular Dwarf BSB for example - he cannot use either shield or 2h weapon. CD BSB entry doesn't have such restriction, but army builder keeps greying out mundane shield for a BSB (and comes up with error message if you give him a magical one). Hence my mistake. This should probably be reported to Lone Wolf.