[Archive] Storm of Chaos

BilboBaggins:

You’re welcome Kera. I’m one of the few who show up at a GW store with Chaos Dwarfs and Slayers so I know my rules for them and having all the SOC Army Lists and all the main armies FAQ’s on my computer helps.

Grotsnik:

you can get copies of the army lists on GW australia website

Grotsnik:

u cud paint normal trops karak kadrin colours u shud be able to find pics of them on GW website

BilboBaggins:

you can get copies of the army lists on GW australia website

Grotsnik
Haven't been available there since the SOC site went dark.
u cud paint normal trops karak kadrin colours u shud be able to find pics of them on GW website

Grotsnik
Yes, you could paint normal troops in the colours of Karak Kadrin, but the Army of Karak Kadrin is all SLAYERS in it's SOC form. There was a back of the book list in 6th edition (They were fun to look at weren't they) for Karak Kadrin but the SOC was totally different. No shooting Dwarfs (Except Hewer and Long Drong),

Grotsnik:

after soc page went dark i cud still access army lists but only on ozzy site

BilboBaggins:

Funny, I just went there and they have a couple of sample armies but not the rules and points to make up the armies.

Joshmohr:

The Goblin Hewer sounds like fun.

cornixt:

I’ve heard hints of the odd new DoW unit that would help for theming current armies.

Ancient History:

The Storm of Chaos gave us hellcannons. 'nuff said.

Kera foehunter:

lol it gave chaos a hell canon !!

BilboBaggins:

Chaos Dwarfs don’t get to use the Hell Cannon.

The Hewer is one of the greatest weapons in the Warhammer World.

Ancient History:

Yeah, but they were the first Chaos Dwarf minis cast in years and renewed the flickering flame in many a fanboy and fangirl’s heart.

Plus, have you ever seen a Hellcannon battery? It is awesome.

Groznit Goregut:

Storms of Chaos is not considered the best campaign by most people. I think the almost the entire OnG community disliked it. The ending was rather crummy. What I disliked the most about it were the rock-paper-scissor aspect that most of the new armies had. The slayer army is the perfect example of it. If this army got into combat, it won. If you could shoot it to pieces before it got to you, you won. The end.

Albion was by far the best campaign. Super background. Great plot. Good characters. Great fun all around.

BilboBaggins:

Storms of Chaos is not considered the best campaign by most people.  I think the almost the entire OnG community disliked it.  The ending was rather crummy.  What I disliked the most about it were the rock-paper-scissor aspect that most of the new armies had.  The slayer army is the perfect example of it.  If this army got into combat, it won.  If you could shoot it to pieces before it got to you, you won.  The end.  

Albion was by far the best campaign.  Super background.  Great plot.  Good characters.  Great fun all around.

Groznit Goregut
Interesting, I've had O&G units eat my slayers, and I play blocks of 20. Savage Orc Boar Boys with the Banner of Butchery, Black Orcs, Orc Big 'Uns, all can kill Slayers very well. Slayer can have a defense against shooting with a BSB with the master rune of Grimnir.

But what about these armies from current books.
Daemons of Chaos (Every model with a Ward Save)
Warriors of Chaos (Kill all in Combat, Evil Knights)
Vampire Counts (Never Run, raise dead, Evil Knights)

Groznit Goregut:

But what about these armies from current books.
Daemons of Chaos (Every model with a Ward Save)
Warriors of Chaos (Kill all in Combat, Evil Knights)
Vampire Counts (Never Run, raise dead, Evil Knights)

BilboBaggins
It's not that the army was super-powered. It was like the game rock-paper-scissors. If I play XYZ army, I can beat ABC, and DEF, but I can never win against GHI, or JKL armies.

I think it was a neat concept, but it was really just Chaos vs Empire. I know a lot of OnG were felt left out. They don't identify with Chaos and hate them as much as the Empire. They became the "swing voters" who swung against Chaos in the end, just to stick it to someone. Most OnG tend to think Grimgor is an idiot and dislike him as the main greenskin character. The whole bit about defeating Archon and then walking way is considered lame.

It is a shame that all those sub-armies are no longer valid. Still, though, it seems to be a pain to keep up with it all.

BilboBaggins:

I agree that the ending was ill concieved, but GW had a plan and even though the games played were going Empires way they had to have Archon on the steps of Middenheim in the end. Grimgor’s part was a big finger at the Greenskin players. If they went with the real gameplay (which I think was their original plan until they found out how good the Empire defending players were) Archon never makes Middenheim and Grimgor could have had a decent battle against him somewhere else. Their creative staff is unable to change on the fly due to circumstances. Heck I could have made changes, when seeing the battles reports coming in, quickly and rolled with the punches instead of forcing the issue. That is why 40K’s Eye of Terror was the bigger success.

Now the lists. GW had the chance to do something good. They could have put the lists (and new units) into the new books fixing the complaints. The Slayer army complaint was the Doomie List, they could have limited Doomseekers to 1 for first 10 in troll slayer unit and one additional for each 5 in the unit, 3 Doomies max. It would have effectively got rid of the infamous 18 doomseeker at 2K point army. I find 4 Doomies at 2K is fair. But NO, GW decides to ban the lists but the one that was most abused they gave their own book, and lowered the points. There is a reason I joke that if I was rich I would buy GW and let the gamers run the company again and not the coin counters that put out new books to get people to buy the newest uber army so they can win games.

Groznit Goregut:

Or maybe they could re-do all the old lists in White Dwarf? Maybe it would make the magazine worth taking. I swear, in the past few years of WD, there has been hardly any issues of their magazine that I’ve wanted. It’s all articles designed to make you buy more minis. If there were some interesting game play articles, I would be inclined to actually want the thing.

They could re-do each list in one issue and make it a really good year. They could also tackle the whole Regiments of Renown, as well, and update them to the latest edition. That would be cool. I’d probably get a subscription if they did something like that.

BilboBaggins:

Or maybe they could re-do all the old lists in White Dwarf?  Maybe it would make the magazine worth taking.  I swear, in the past few years of WD, there has been hardly any issues of their magazine that I've wanted.  It's all articles designed to make you buy more minis.  If there were some interesting game play articles, I would be inclined to actually want the thing.  

They could re-do each list in one issue and make it a really good year.  They could also tackle the whole Regiments of Renown, as well, and update them to the latest edition.  That would be cool.  I'd probably get a subscription if they did something like that.

Groznit Goregut
But that would prevent them from selling books. Can you see the current management of GW giving things away for free?

two_heads_talking:

Perhaps it’s just me, but I’ve noticed alot of ‘netspeak’ type words lately…

cud instead of could, u instead of you, 2 instead of to/too, etc.

For the sake of our non-English speakers, could we keep the netspeak to a minimum and try as best we can to actually pretend we know how to write?

Just a suggestion, not a sermon…

Border Reiver:

If the lists are in WD, they aren’t free, but they were available free of charge when they were on the web.