[Archive] Swearing

Hashut’s Blessing:

Hello everyone. Just a quick announcement and reminder about, as the title suggests, swearing. If you really feel the need to swear, which has become increasingly common, please censor them. I’d much prefer swearing wasn’t on the forums, but I doubt that’d be kept to, so please use an asterisk ( also known as a star. It looks like this: * ) to replace all vowels. That is the minimum censoring I will allow and it makes life a lot easier for me, as I don’t have to keep editing the posts myself then. thank you for co-operating.

Thommy H:

Bl**mng hck!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Pyro Stick:

Cant an admin just censor swearing on the forum control panel? Just change all the most common swear words to include asterisk’s so that if people continue to type swears they will get automatically censored before they can be posted/ That seems a lot easier than going around every post and editing them.

Hashut’s Blessing:

That may be possible, but I’m a moderator and until one does, this will have to do. The reasoning for the censoring is the website is still considered PG or 12A or whatever it’s called now…

Grimstonefire:

@pyro/ HB

Unfortunately that may have the side effect of encouraging swearing (unintentionally).  

It would be easy to do in admin CP, but IMO we should only use that as a last resort.  We’ll see how it goes.

Pyro Stick:

@pyro/ HB
Unfortunately that may have the side effect of encouraging swearing (unintentionally).  

It would be easy to do in admin CP, but IMO we should only use that as a last resort.  We'll see how it goes.

Grimstonefire
But all the swears would be censored so i dont see how that matters and if that increases the amount of swearing then we must have a hell of a lot of immature members.

Willmark:

I’m backing up HB in this one. This should not be an issue if everyone thinks about what they are posting prior to pressing the “enter” key.

Thommy H:

I’m pretty foul-mouthed usually, but I always keep it in check around here. If I can do it, anyone can.

Ghrask Dragh:

Me too, I can tone it down if it’s a problem though, there is never any need to swear I think (unless it’s a really good joke :smiley: then it’s worth it everytime!!)

:cheers

Kera foehunter:

well guys !!just post if anyone swears and it posted it cost a slave

but being a pirate can i still use colorful medafors!!!

Thommy H:

I’d like a word filter that changes “metaphor” to “medafor” from now on, please.

Kera foehunter:

well become a pirate sweety and you can butcher the english lanuage too

Willmark:

well become a pirate sweety and you can butcher the english lanuage too

Kera foehunter
The obviousness of this post can be seen even by those who are blind.

two_heads_talking:

just curious is this the 7 major words, 9 or others?.. i noticed that the word cr*p is getting censored

Servius:

Having run an online board, its better to leave the censor out of it… as really people just find ways around it and it gets more annoying. In all honesty cursing isn’t really needed in an emotionless online messageboard post is it? I mean really people can’t hear your words so why take the time to add cursing? Personally, the closest thing I come to cursing is “Bl**dy”, “rs”, and the occasional F^CK OFF CUP the “^” stands for an “I”.

AGPO:

Are Irish members still allowed feck?

zorn sabretooth:

yeah, because bldy rs and wnker (better safe than sorry)  are part of my heritage as a limey as eh is part of canadian heritage

Thommy H:

I think you only need one asterisk per vowel, Zorn.

Viskar Zhragoth:

I’m with HB on this one too. This is such a great site, and never seems to drop into flame wars, like other sites we have all been to, I’m sure.

Now in real life, I swear worse than a pirate, but at work and here I don’t. The tone of our community is to great, and we can sure monitor our thinking enough to get our points across without it…I mean we are all here because we like CDO, Chaos Dwarfs, Warhammer, gaming in general, zombies, pirates, etc. If we could all be in the same big bar (like Haufbrau House Oktoberfest…mmmm!) we’d all party and have a good time! Though of course…some jokes…they just need something! ;-0

Willmark:

If we are proud of anything here at CDO it’s what Viskar just mentioned. No flame wars. Maybe elsewhere on the web but not here