[Archive] Swedish Comp?

Heavygear:

So Buckeye Battles has announced they would like to use Swedish Comp to score army lists to determine which level players will start at in the tournament.

I am unfamiliar with Swedish Comp. Could someone who is more experienced possibly explain it to me and perhaps others on the forum? or just point me towards a link?

TheFNG:

I’ve beer used it, but it’s a system that assigns value to different units.

You start with a score of 300 and subtract a certain score from it for each unit in your list. Eventually you divide the total by 10 and that’s your “comp”.

A low comp of say, 2.4, is a very nasty list full of underpriced or overly powerful choices. A high score of 16 would indicate that your list is full of overpriced or underpowered units.

Most tourneys either bracket based on score or give Victory Points to the higher list. So in a march between a 7.8 army and a 12.3 army, the general with the 12.3 or softer list would start with 450 victory points before the match even begins.

richard barby:

basically like he said I have just ran a event in new Zealand that used Swedish I think only the 2nd or 3rd in new Zealand ever to do so. google will find you a link really well.

is it just being used for the first round draw?

the easiest was I find of using Swedish is write your list then work out your score the first few times you use Swedish. if there is a limit you want to stay above score wise there are lots of things that don’t cost extra points (Swedish points) that you can fill out your list with and you going to want to take some of them anyway

full command options are not taxed

all items that are taxed are written at the start of each army so pick ones that are not in the list Swedish wise they are free. one of the best ones is talisman of preservation 45 points most people out it on there level 4 (chaos dwarf players out my way do) and it costs zero Swedish points. I made a high elf army for the weekend I ran and I put over 300 points worth of full command and magic items in to it after I took all the models I wanted.

something as a chaos dwarf player you will find is there are several really good options that stack Swedish wise. level4 on bale Taurus and a destroyer you pay for both and you pay for having both as a combo. warmachines and mages stack up for warmacine points (theses are at the bottom of the Swedish comp page).

Satan:

Our tournaments here usually use a comp score of between 12-20. The difference is usually awarded in VP to the player with the higher comp socre (as he/she has a “softer” list).

For example, in the event that a player with comp 16 loses to a player with comp 14 then that player will receive 200 extra VP.

It works very well when used together with the BP system as well, where you split 20 points between the players for each game.

The system encourages a greater variety in list builds all around, try it out and see!

snowblizz:

I am a big fan of it personally. Because it is technically not limiting and it is comprehensive and tries to take into account combos and units in context of the lists and not just blanket ban stuff.

It’s also updated and modified continually as things and meta progresses.

The systems does have some quirks. Take any armylist you normally play and you will probably get a slightly worse score than you deserve because you hit a threshold somewhere.

Sometimes “themed” lists may get hit harder than they their performance might warrant because you are stacking a choice that would be good except you don’t have the other parts needed to reinforce it.

I’ve used it as a tournament organiser to cull stuff I just don’t care to see and encourage a softer gaming environment. It’s relatively convenient for someone who doesn’t have a super insight into all the available stuff anymore. This year we were going to have a high hard cap for comp and see how that worked but we had to cancel the tournament due it planning issues.

The guys who maintain it can be found here:

http://swfbr.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=6

I know several of them, nice guys and willing to listen to feedback. Most stuff there is in Swedish but they do reply in English if needed.

Heavygear:

Thank you for the replies. They posted the most recent edition of the rules on the tournament web site. They will not be using VP’s based on your score it is just for banding you into roughly equal groups. I really haven’t formed an opinion about it either way.

I did a bit of a rough estimate with units I would like to take just off the top of my head. I’m sure I am over the 2400 point limit. I scored around and 8. Which puts me towards the more beardy end of Band 2. The destroyer is -60 right off the get go. :stuck_out_tongue:

You are right about being able to stack your list with certain choices to limit the negatives.

Heavygear:

Thank you for the replies. They posted the most recent edition of the rules on the tournament web site. I really haven’t formed an opinion about it either way.

I did a bit of a rough estimate with units I would like to take just off the top of my head. I’m sure I am over the 2400 point limit. I scored around and 8. The destroyer is -60 right off the get go. :stuck_out_tongue:

You are right about being able to stack your list with certain choices to limit the negatives.

richard barby:

what did you end up with mate