[Archive] Switch-Out Arms

DeathRocketeer:

As Games Workshop is unlikely to create a new book anytime soon, and there are so many alternative Chaos Dwarf army lists out there, I was wondering if anyone knows a good method to switch out the arms of models (particularly infantry).

I prefer to have what my miniatures are carrying to be identical to what they are carrying on paper, and switching out arms would be nice for playing with various alternative rule sets.

I saw mentioned somewhere in the forums that some people have used magnets to this end, but I am not sure that would hold unless you used something like Neodymium magnets.  They are extremely strong, but very brittle so unless you bought the proper size you might need to hammer them into small fragments.  Also, if the magnet is too strong…then when you pull off an arm or arms the magnet lodged in your model’s body might be ripped out of its setting.

Anyone know of any solutions/alternatives?

WhyNotCrashDifferently?:

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

Seems like tiny Neodymium magnets are available for pretty cheap in bulk, specifically the 1/8" disc magnets. Saves you smashing up the big ones with a titanium hammer, anyway.

two_heads_talking:

when the forums of my local club come back up (some kinda phbb fubar or somthing) I’ll post up some magnet links…

you can get very very very small magnets… square, round, oblong, etc. no need to screw up the polarization of a perfectly good magnet.

DeathRocketeer:

I know you can buy the really small ones, I guess I just mentioned breaking up a larger one to indicate how brittle they really can be. For example, if you left two about a foot apart, then let them connect using their magnetic fields you would likely end up chipping them. Just means that you will need to be careful connecting arms and might want to put a buffer over the face, such as a layer of glue.

Do you think normal PVA glue would be strong enough to keep said magnets in their place?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Why not just use a metal wire and a hole for the arm sockets?

Most Dwarf arms are attached using the “Ball and Socket” method and there’s a LOT of plastic “MEAT” to drill into. Even if you use BFSP Dwarfs, you can still drill a nice hole in the side of the Dwarf body where the arm needs to be. (You’ll have to cut off the original arm though.)

snowblizz:

I know you can buy the really small ones, I guess I just mentioned breaking up a larger one to indicate how brittle they really can be.  For example, if you left two about a foot apart, then let them connect using their magnetic fields you would likely end up chipping them.  Just means that you will need to be careful connecting arms and might want to put a buffer over the face, such as a layer of glue.

Do you think normal PVA glue would be strong enough to keep said magnets in their place?

DeathRocketeer
Excuse the expression. But that is just bull. A not the good kind :hashut

Has never happened to me and I've been doing just that to amuse myself on how strong they are. The magnets are not quite strong enough to pull the models apart from what I've seen. They are very small indeed. It is tru that you don't need a very large Neodyn magnet to hang say 100 pounds form but the miniature sized ones should not be a problem. You drill a hole and glue it to the miniature and it should hold fine. Where I use magnets I also tend to use magnet + metal instead of 2 magnets but that's because I don't got cheap bulk magnets. :(

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I like the magnetic wedding ring. Great for Kleptomaniacs! LOL!