[Archive] Tactics against High Elves

Marduk:

I am getting ready for my second battle against High Elves.

My opponent will come with a very competitive list including Teclis.

The army’s are 3000 pts.

Any recommendations for my list and tactics?

How can I deal with Teclis?

burock:

go suicidial on teclis with fast troops: destroyer, bull centaurs, taurus… he has T2 3W and has no protection. kill him and you ll have the upper hand.

MLP:

I agree with Burock. I’d also take the chalice of blood and darkness to help whilst he’s alive.

Be wary of mindrazor on blocks of spearmen they will decimate your infernal guards.

I would suggest shooting the crap out of them with 30 blunderbusses and some Deathshriekers and maybe a Hellcannon.

Always strike first in combat will get very annoying.

rpitts2004:

Do you know what lore he is planning on bringing? If he Brings shadow you may have an issue trying to catch him since he can just teleport out of the unit.

Marduk:

I think he might bring Lore of Life for Dwellers Below.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I advise you to ask to not play against Teclis. You’re going to lose. And it won’t be fun.

That being said, if you’re going to try and have a competative game against him, I would…

Bring the Chalice of Blood and Darkness AND Sivjar’s Hex scroll.

Bring 4 Deathshrieker Rockets. And fire all game at Teclis’ unit until they are all dead.

Whatever you have left in Special points, put into Iron Daemons and just roll them right at Teclis. I’m sure your opponent will not complain about proxies since he’s bringing the most broken thing in Warhammer.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Marduk:

I advise you to ask to not play against Teclis.

Grimbold Blackhammer
Good advice. I've already tried it, it didn't work.
Bring the Chalice of Blood and Darkness AND Sivjar's Hex scroll.

Bring 4 Deathshrieker Rockets.  And fire all game at Teclis' unit until they are all dead.

Whatever you have left in Special points, put into Iron Daemons and just roll them right at Teclis.  I'm sure your opponent will not complain about proxies since he's bringing the most broken thing in Warhammer.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
Nice!
I think you know I won't make a list so specifically designed to fight Teclis but making that assumption helps to think of specific tactics.

What do you think of the Feedback Scroll? Why is the frog scroll better?

Thanks.

Baggronor:

Run the Destroyer at him. Also take plenty of chaff (3-4 Wolf Khans) to redirect any dragon-armour-wearing guys who try to tie him up. Flesh to Stone on Elves (T6/7) is still not enough to stop him :slight_smile:

Take Death magic and a power stone somewhere. Snipe him to death. Ld9 Spirit Leech will get him eventually.

And the scrolls already mentioned could also help.

I find with Teclis players, they get used to people being intimidated by him. If you run something big and scary at him, they often panic. I’ve killed him with a Varghulf about 5 times now.

Whatever you have left in Special points, put into Iron Daemons and just roll them right at Teclis.
Good point :slight_smile: Just be sure to bomb the eagles down asap.

Bolg:

Cant you just say: “I dont play special characters” I dont know anybody who does, and if someone wanted to they had to ask very very nicely. I’ve played all of the scary ones back in the 4rd edition and I really dont see the fun. Last year after 18 years of warhammer I quit my first game of warhammer as my opponent played some stupid Beastman character that killed half my army before 1 started.

They are not allowed on 99% of all tournaments (here in my world) and they belong in the friendly games you play for fun. Now if you are building a complete list to play just one special character I really dont see the fun.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

In the games where I’ve faced Teclis, he ALWAYS stands in a unit bearing the Banner of the World Dragon so he cannot be sniped by death magic spells (which stinks!). An Iron Daemon is pretty standard in my lists so I’d hit his unit with it and try and block Teclis liine of sight with it. Then I’d Thunderstomp his unit to death.

I prefer the hex scroll because it can last more than one round and it neuters both the character and the unit he is in. When the unit’s movement effectively drops to 1", they are essentially stuck in place which gives me time to line up perfect charges. And if he’s a frog while I charge, so much the better to kill him. That being said, it’s humiliating to have your big wizard turned into a frog. I do it so I can taunt my opponent!

Grimbold Blackhammer

rpitts2004:

Get an iron deamon and Destroyer and send them straight for teclis, they have a high strength so dwellers won’t do much to them, and then just allocate all your attacked to teclis. I was playing high elves vs chaos dwarfs the other day and I had a lvl 4 arch mage with book of hoeth, my dragon princes missed the charged so my destroyer ate my T 7 arch mage

Marduk:

@Bolg:

I can’t say that. In fact, this request for advice is for a tournament in which special characters are allowed and there typically are several High Elves lists that include Teclis. My list is an all-comers list. The objective is to make sure that my list can handle Teclis, not to make a list entirely designed to fight Teclis. I am almost certain that one of my three battles would have been against Teclis. As a matter of fact, it is also likely that I would face a Beastmen army that includes Slugtongue.

@Grimbold:

Banner of the World Dragon: Good point!

Iron Daemon: Nice.

Taunting opponent for turning Teclis into a frog: Priceless!

@rpitts2004:

I am liking the idea of one Iron Daemon and one Destroyer.

Was this battle between High Elves and Chaos Dwarfs a battle against yourself?

Thanks to all for your comments. In the end I decided that life is too short and I won’t participate in this tournament, though I will remember the advice.

Bolg:

Thanks to all for your comments. In the end I decided that life is too short and I won't participate in this tournament, though I will remember the advice.

Marduk
Sounds like the best option. I hope you find a different tournament without special characters soon. (: