[Archive] Tactics vs Dark Elves

Nurion:

Didnt know about the reform, interesting. On another note he plays with a lvl 4 wizard as his lord and not a dreadlord. I did however think of a few ways to prevent the dreadlords unkillable skills comimg to the fore. Thefirst one being the base spell from the lore of metal. Capable of inflicting 2d6 wounds if you power it up, it has no strength value assiged so no ward save, no armour saves allowed, amd wounds on te value of their armour save - likely a 1 or 2+....bye bye dreadlord?

cd007
Just make sure he doesn't have a dragonhelm or a dragonbane gem that gives him 2+ ward vs flaming since searing doom allso counts as a flaming attack :)

cd007:

Didnt know about the reform, interesting. On another note he plays with a lvl 4 wizard as his lord and not a dreadlord. I did however think of a few ways to prevent the dreadlords unkillable skills comimg to the fore. Thefirst one being the base spell from the lore of metal. Capable of inflicting 2d6 wounds if you power it up, it has no strength value assiged so no ward save, no armour saves allowed, amd wounds on te value of their armour save - likely a 1 or 2+....bye bye dreadlord?

cd007
Just make sure he doesn't have a dragonhelm or a dragonbane gem that gives him 2+ ward vs flaming since searing doom allso counts as a flaming attack :)

Nurion
Ah, balls, I didnt think of that! Now I see why they're called unkillable, but then again he'd surely roll a few 1's if you kept throwing 2D6 wounds at him every magic phase. Can the same wizard cast the same spell twice in one phase btw? Or say if i have two wizards, can both cast the same spell if they only cast it once each? Or is it strictly "one of that spell per turn" ?

Vogon:

In the newest rules set unless a spell specifically says you can it’s once per turn.

Two wizards on from the same army are in fact prohibited from having the same spell.

Cheers

Vogon

ViLe:

if you use two or more wizards with the same lore you can pick the signature spell with each of them. As far as i know, the signature spell is the only one which can be casted more than once in a magic phase.

cd007:

Fantastic, so i can potentially take 2 daemonsmiths and be getting 4d6 hits to the value of my enemies armour save, per magic phase? After sucesful casting obviously

Nurion:

I’m not so sure if metal is the best lore vs Dark Elfs, but if you have two daemonsmiths, then yes, you could have 2x searing doom spells since they are signature.

I’d rather take 2x death casters and have spirit leech x2 and potentialy some other very nice spells.

Remember searing doom would only be good vs his dreadlord IF he don’t have 2+ ward vs flaming and his Cold one Knights.

Spirit leech would be just as good vs his dreadlord as his sorceress (depending on their ward save ofc). Spirit leech can allso be targeted into units and single out their character, and if i’m not mistaken, spirit leech is allso direct damage while searing doom is a magic missile. This means that you don’t need line of sight to cast spirit leech, while searing doom does.

The 2d6 version of searing doom allso has a casting value of 20, but spirit leech as 13? with 24’’ range. Not 100% sure of spirit leech cost atm, i know it’s 10 with shorter range. That means your more likely to be able to cast 2x spirit leech in one magicphase, allso avioding miscasts.

Metal allso have access to a sniping spell, but it’s useless against his sorceress. He’d get LoS for every hit you roll as well. In other words, not worth it.

Yodrin:

Fireball boosted is awesome against DE with theyr T3.

Animatone:

I’ve used the Carmine dragon and taken down the fire immune dreadlord on a couple of occasions. The Carmine’s breath weapon attack has no strength value, auto hits and does D3 wounds with no armour saves, and it’s not flaming. It’s pricey (305pts), but still it works.

So just fly the dragon up nice and close and roll the artillery dice like for a cannon bounce (you can re-roll misfires) and if the line goes through the dreadlord then he takes the wounds, with no saves unless there’s a ward (typically there’s not with the usual combo). But if you don’t kill him on the first try everything in the entire D-elves arsenal will be bearing down on the Carmine the following turn, and that’s how I’ve lost him in previous games. 6 toughness and 2+ armour save does hold up enough against a concentrated round of D-elve missile attacks and magic.

cd007:

Thanks for the advice so far guys, his army is mostly built up pf skirmishing cavalry and normal cavalry - i think he only has 2 units of infantry, and a lot of magic and shooting. Im guessing he has a big unit of cold one knights so will centaurs be a good option here? And some hobgoblin wolf riders to counter his fast cav?

cd007:

Hey guys, played my first game yesterday. We actually played at 1.5k points as it was easier, but I did learn a few things.

1. Flame cannons vs dark elves are not necessary. Stick with Deathshriekers and use the big template. I took out 2 entire units of fast cav with 3 death shriekers in the first 2 turns. They more than paid for themselves.

2. we always get outnumbered. I played a game vs warriors of chaos previous to the dark elf match, and i was out numbered even against chaos. Also, our dwarf units do not last long against frenzied khorne chosen warriors… and theyre hard to kill. Very hard. Fireglaves are your friend here.

3. Daemonsmiths are better the more of them you have. Our army is very reliant on artillery and the daemonsmith is basically your re-roll dice. You need them. In future games I’ll take 2 daemonsmiths and keep them as bare as possible (no upgrades, just the lvl 1, and stick a dispel scroll and some other defensive items in there).

4. Dwarfs dont like the purple sun. My opponent managed to get the purple sun spell off, which basicaly kills everything that the big template can touch if it fails an initiative test. Our dwarfs are I 2. This spell took out 2 cannons, my lord, a castellan and 2 units in 1 turn. If your opponent is using the lore of death… dont let them get this spell of…

5. Cenaturs. I ran them with extra hand weapons and the razor standard against a unit of chaos warriors (4 models, inc champion). They killed maybe 2 or 3 warriors before getting an ass kicking. Against elves, though, they are much better. I ran 3 basic centaurs and they slaughtered a unit of cold one knights on the charge. I think these are effective but they are expensive, the stomp attack is a great bonus.

6. Hobgoblin wolf raiders - the most useful unit I used in both games. In my first game vs chaos, these guys distracted a unit of fireglaves (I was playing a host of chaos army) and a hell cannon for 3 turns, before the enemy hell cannon destroyed itself. I also rolled 3 6’s in a row for animosity, the +1 to shooting was useful, managed to pick off 2 fire glaivers.

In my next few games I may try a larger unit of centaurs, and I may give a hobgoblin khan a go. The thing Ive learnt the most is to spread your points rather than consolidating them into ‘bunkers’ although I suppose it depends on your build…