[Archive] Tamurkhan 2500pts

klemanius:

Sorcerer Prophet-Lv4-healing potion, talisman of preservation, enchanted shield, blood of hashut (lore of Hashut) 405pts

Infernal Castellan - BSB- mask of the furnace, shield 197pts

Bullcentaur Tau’ruk -Blackshard armour, shield, blackhammer, other tricksters shard 225pts

33xblunderbuss +FC 626pts

23xIronsworn +FC- war banner 451pts

3x Bullcentaurs w/shields, spears +FC 175pts

Destroyer 325pts

5xwolf raiders w/spears +FC 90pts

Total 2494pts

Ran this against a a Vampaire Counts army the other day. The Destroyer wiped out a unit of 30 or 40 ghouls and a vamp over 2 turns, and steamrolled the terrorgheist in 1 before going down to his deathstar of grave guard (would have done better but it was on 1 wound when it hit them due to the Terorgheist’s scream attack). Bullcentars did well at dealing with pesky Vargulfs and held up his graveguard for 2 turns. In short, I won with about 23 odd blunderbuss, the castellan and the sorcerer prophet left at the end, the vamps were wiped out.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I’m one of those old-school folks who consider deployment to be one of the most important phases of the game. With this list only having 5 deployments and the magority of your points having movement 3, expect to be flanked and crushed. I think this list is dead on arrival. Sorry =(

Grimbold Blackhammer

Time of Madness:

You have a massive amount of points invested in some of the more lackluster unit choices (ironsworn and blunders).

The other issue I have is the complete lack of war machines. My chaos dwarf lists are fairly light on troops (like your list), however I really rely on the war machines to at least whittle the enemy down a bit before combat. A couple of shriekers and a magma cannon would go along way in making this a more competitive list.

Time of Madness

klemanius:

The store’s tables are 4x4 which helps me to avoid getting flanked and tends to promote a small number of large units rather than many smaller ones, particularly with the amount of terrain we normally use (d6+4).

While blunderbuss aren’t as point efficient as un-upgraded infernalls they are better than fireglaives and players inexperienced with Chaos Dwarfs (which is most players) tend to be hesitant to engage them, particularly with how devastating their stand and shoot can be, let alone their surprisingly decent(but by no means great) combat prowess.

The blunders are a strong centre (ive yet to have this unit be destroyed even when multi-charged), the Ironsworn go toe to toe with elite combat units and the wolf raiders, bull centaurs and destroyer protect any exposed flanks and/or crush a flank themselves.

I did run the smith, dual shreaker, magma cannon combo but found the 500+pt sink a bit too limiting and the shreakers underpowered against anything but poorly armoured T3 troops.  The only part that really performed in that combo was the magma cannon.  One major problem with the artillery train is that little of it is effective against enemy warmachines.  
Gun heavy armies like dwarfs and empire will outshoot us easily, and I’ve found tend to ignore our guns in favour of demolishing our expensive infantry units.  We can’t win a protracted shoot out, but when we come to one we often do so with too few infantry (even if we bulk out our unit roster with hobgobs) to weather the storm and defeat what lies on the other side.

I’d seriously consider running a magmacannon but it would cost me the Ba’hal to do so but would give cannons something to fire at other than the destroyer.  The Ba’hal does add a hefty punch to the centaurs though.
Not sure what to go with there.

ChungEssence:

Heh… so that’s how the battle turned out. How did the blunders fair? (no mention of them in the OP)

Do you run the Bullcentaur Tau’ruk with the other Centaurs?

klemanius:

Hey.

Yeah, I ran the Tau’ruk with them, black hammer gave them some good offense against the vargulfs.

The blunders did decently. For some reason no one wants to charge a unit that can put out over 84 shots if your lucky for a stand and shoot:) So the ghouls sort of sat there unable to move.

Once I rolled the flank with the Destroyer and the Centaurs, I committed them. Wiped the ghouls in two turns of combat just in time to rear charge the graveguard horde and finished them off.

So yeah, they did rather well considering I rolled 1’s for their multishot 3 times in a row:P

Grimbold Blackhammer:

84 shots? My math doesn’t make that happen unless you’re running 14 wide…? Do Blunderbusses volley fire or something I don’t know about?

Grimbold Blackhammer

klemanius:

Yeah, I whack the Stubborn BSB in there. Maximum damage in the stand and shoot and then combat reform as required.

Due to the larger unit size (I used to run them at 28) I believe I ran them as 16 wide.

khedyarl:

You know, given that our Warmachines are bloody enormous, and our troops teeny, that’s actually kind of brilliant. A huge front of 16-wide Blunderbusses ready to annihilate anything that charges it, while covering fire from six warmachines backed up by Daemonsmiths hammer the enemy.

And since the Blunders still act like HW/Shield infernals in combat, we could potentially have one hell of a death-star unit.

Hell with it! I’m running 60 Blunders next game! 20x3, covering my war engine line!

Groznit Goregut:

One major problem with the artillery train is that little of it is effective against enemy warmachines.  
Gun heavy armies like dwarfs and empire will outshoot us easily, and I've found tend to ignore our guns in favour of demolishing our expensive infantry units.  We can't win a protracted shoot out, but when we come to one we often do so with too few infantry (even if we bulk out our unit roster with hobgobs) to weather the storm and defeat what lies on the other side.

klemanius
I don't get this. Death Shriek Rockets should be good at this. Use the high S shell and it direct hits 1/3 of the time. It will also redirect towards nearest target when scatters. This might be original targe. With 2 in a list, I would expect one hit a turn.

klemanius:

Shreaker rockets redirect, demolishion rockets (the S8 one) do not. Even re-rolling 1 of the dice with the smith, unless the warmachine is abnormally large (screaming skull, hellcannon, etc) anything more than 2" of scatter will likely not see it hit. So your relying entirely on the luck of the dice. Not to mention if you do play the snipe the artillery game, your opponent is likely better at it, particularly if he runs cannons. You have a 1/3 chance of a hit, that cannon is both more accurate, and hits harder.

The point is, that while they can target warmachines they’re not especially reliable at it, and taking potshots leaves the enemy horde untouched. And if you play mostly on 4x4 boards as I do, it doesn’t take them an especially long time to reach you either.

If you want to hunt warmachines and monsters, go for bullcentaurs, destroyers, raiders and Flames of Azgorh, they are much better at it than the shreaker.