[Archive] Tamurkhan Book useable or not?

tvandyke:

I tried to buy tamurkhan for saws and QCR but my FLGS recently told me that they couldn't get it anymore. now I guess Im obligated to pay a premium from forgeworld. :mad

Da Crusha
I bought mine through FW and had it in 4 days. It's not really that much of a premium, they charge 15% for shipping so you get if for $80 (which includes the shipping charge). If you got it from your local store in California, you'd be paying about 8% in sales tax anyway so no that much a difference.

Thommy H:

@Thommy H: Do you the Tam book and/or do you have an LOA list?  I did read through the other threads before posting, and tried to pull your book/list, but as of yet have not been able to download it.  I'm from the US, Midwest, and our local tournies haven't said anything yet about the book, and are still using the Indy GT rules.  I am still fairly new to this whole game (about a year) and have many conflicting lists, books and opinions.  I just assumed that LOA would be the norm, but now question that decision as hasty.  I will just keep trying to DL your list so that I can check that out!

Burske
Not totally sure what you're asking me - I have Tamurkhan and my army is (mostly) compatible with it. The reason Nico brought my name up was because I'm notoriously outspoken about the concept of "legality" in Warhammer, and there have been endless topics about this subject, almost all of which involved me loudly weighing in on how stupid it all is!

If you're interested in my book, the previous (soon to be updated) version can be found by following the link in my sig. It's quite a bit different from the LoA.

Burske:

Thanks ThommyH. Yeah, I never questioned the legality, only the potential ability to be able to use or not use. When I am playing with my club, I can just tell them what I am using, and I am good to go.

I was just wondering (about the LOA vs. Your book) whether you had the same potential issues with your own book being accepted/not accepted is what I was getting at. When I am able to dl your book, will I be in the same boat with having to defend using a list from there? The problem, imo, stems from not having an authorized, current army with a book. It just makes it more difficult for a newer CD player as myself to get into the army with conflicting/different books/lists, or does one have to have each book with a different list to cover their bases? As I started the thread with, it was just an overall opinion on if the book useable or should one stay with the old or alternate?

Great comments though. I do appreciate the help to clarify this for me.

Thommy H:

LoA is about a billion times more likely to be accepted than my book. Mine is just a fanlist, and it gets some use out there because people think it’s good, and they get their opponents to read it and they (usually) decide it’s fair and looks fun to play against. With LoA, it still might be a battle to get it accepted (because it’s Forge World), but it’s not going to be an uphill one - it’s as close to “official” as it can be without actually being a real Armies book.

If the need to fight for acceptance is a non-issue though, go with whichever you like best!

Da Crusha:

@ryanamandaanna: in California. dont worry about it. Ill get the book some how.

For anybody that has the book, exactly how many pages of cd material are there? (fluff, rules, pics, etc…)

ryanamandaanna:

It’s a good chunk of it. I’d say a good 30 to 40 pages of it is exclusively CD related (fluff, rules, etc), while the story of the Legion of Azgorh is sprinkled throughout the book.

Thommy H:

Four pages of general background, eighteen pages of bestiary (most of the war machines get two pages each because of all their rules…), ten page army list, a page of spells and a page of magic items. They feature pretty heavily in the main narrative section of the book too - a whole chapter (fourteen pages) is set in the Dark Lands and has the Legion of Azgorh as the main “other” army. There’s also about four pages of bestiary and a two-page Scroll of Binding (repeating most of the previous content verbatim…) for the Chaos Siege Giant if you count that.

Da Crusha:

ohh, sounds pretty good then.

Da Crusha:

I tried to buy tamurkhan for saws and QCR but my FLGS recently told me that they couldn't get it anymore. now I guess Im obligated to pay a premium from forgeworld. :mad

Da Crusha
I bought mine through FW and had it in 4 days.  It's not really that much of a premium, they charge 15% for shipping so you get if for $80 (which includes the shipping charge).  If you got it from your local store in California, you'd be paying about 8% in sales tax anyway so no that much a difference.

tvandyke
Yeah its not that bad but I was gonna get it through my buddy, the owner of my FLGS, and he always gives us a discount.

paying more than I have to erks me.

Thommy H:

ohh, sounds pretty good then.

Da Crusha
Yeah, although to be honest there's nothing that new - I mean, obviously the specific events of the campaign that involve the Chaos Dwarf faction is all new content - but in terms of general Chaos Dwarf background, what's in their bestiary section isn't anything you won't have read before elsewhere. It's all pretty non-controversial! A combination of the general stuff from the original White Dwarf presents book combined with the newer Warriors of Chaos Hellcannon/Daemonsmith background.

Definitely worth having for all Chaos Dwarf players and, obviously, a necessity if you want to use the LoA list for your army, but it's not on the level of a new Armies book.