[Archive] Taurus or Lammasu(1)

RichardC1967:

which do you prefer to take as a mount and why?..also in the CD army selection section, a Lammasu cost more than the one in the Storm of Magic book, it also says to refer to the SOM book when you pick the Lammasu as a mount for the Sorcerer-Prophet, I understand army books point values override other books for specific army selections, but does the Lammasu in a CD army still get the special attacks and extra options available to it in the SOM book, and are the points included in the CD Dwarf army list points value, or do I still need to pay the extra points?

Thanks

furrie:

You can take option from the SOM book, but you still need to pay for those options. I haven’t used any of the mounts, so I can’t really say which one I like best.

Thommy H:

It costs more because the Lammasu’s Sorcerous Miasma negates all magic weapons in base contact and that therefore grants the rider the same bonus.

khedyarl:

I find myself taking the Lamassu as a mount as often as possible, but only because I’m in love with the concept of a wizard riding a wizard around rather than it actually being a solid choice in the army. You gain access to a level two shadow caster, and some MR, but the bloody thing is just so expensive that if you’re using it for any other reason than love for the model/your conversion/thematics, you’re probably going to skip past it.

The no save, very poor combat stats and low wounds to points cost really hurt the poor Lamassu, though in its favour I’ll say that nothing beats the look a Vampire player has when you explain that your screaming goat-man-monster has a magical breath weapon. Bye bye, Hexwraiths.

The Taurus is dirt cheap, and just a really great all around mount. I wouldn’t suggest trying to build a combat character out of your Prophet, but the Prophet/Taurus combo will certainly kick the hell out of most smallish units. Both mounts are best used as mobile platforms to get your spells into places that they need to be right away.

Ultimately, the Prophet costs 265 base. You’re looking at spending a huge amount of your resources on a single model that has a very good chance of being picked off by magic/warmachines. Take it and have fun with it, but if you’re looking to maximise efficiency, you should probably leave both at home.

cornixt:

My local non-GW game store has two boxes of each of the taurus and lammasu in finecast. I guess you don’t have to mailorder those models if you are lucky enough.

The Odor:

I prefer the Lammasu. The weapon ruining, the Magic (Shadow which we can’t get anywhere else), Magic Resistance for the Rider as well as a breathweapon? Whats not to like?

Discoking:

I took a Great Taurus today vs. Skaven.

It died… turn 2… Before I could heal it.

4 wounds is actually quite low.

Although, I’d take it again.

I wish it could have an armour save, 5+/4+.

I love the idea of a mounted Prophet.

Old school.

Barukh:

I pick the Taurus over the Lammasu anyday, but mainly due to the Lammasu’s Miasma. It says that any model in base contact loses its weapons magical properties…that includes our 300+ point wizard we just slapped on him. So now we have a wizard who has a unique magic weapon that doesn’t necessarily suck, and now we can’t even use it.

RichardC1967:

I pick the Taurus over the Lammasu anyday, but mainly due to the Lammasu's Miasma. It says that any model in base contact loses its weapons magical properties....that includes our 300+ point wizard we just slapped on him. So now we have a wizard who has a unique magic weapon that doesn't necessarily suck, and now we can't even use it.

Barukh
I think it means anyone actually in "base" contact with the model not the rider..but maybe we could get clarification on the rule from other members here?

Barukh:

Since the lammasu is using SoM rules that is why it is complicated so we might have to or else FW is going to have to do another update…

RichardC1967:

Since the lammasu is using SoM rules that is why it is complicated so we might have to or else FW is going to have to do another update...

Barukh
I always assumed a rider would be immune to a creatures special rules ..kinda like a chaos lord with a magic weapon carrying the Chaos Runeshield which negates magic weapons in "base" contact with the user..but I'm curious as to what other players think about it..

Da Crusha:

I pick the Taurus over the Lammasu anyday, but mainly due to the Lammasu's Miasma. It says that any model in base contact loses its weapons magical properties....that includes our 300+ point wizard we just slapped on him. So now we have a wizard who has a unique magic weapon that doesn't necessarily suck, and now we can't even use it.

Barukh
I think it means anyone actually in "base" contact with the model not the rider..but maybe we could get clarification on the rule from other members here?

RichardC1967
Q: Is a model considered to be in base contact with himself? (var)
A: No.

Warhammer FAQ v1.5

RichardC1967:

Barukh

RichardC1967
Q: Is a model considered to be in base contact with himself? (var)
A: No.

Warhammer FAQ v1.5

Da Crusha
well there you go Barukh , the rider is exempt from the effects of the Lammasu's Miasma..

Barukh:

Alright…damn now I am indecisive on which I like more! D:

Skullking:

Yikes! that is powerful. Have to keep that in mind.