[Archive] Tenebre vs BTP (new thread name )

Yodrin:

Found this on BTP, I think it looks awesome!!

- YouTube

Grimstonefire:

Nice to watch this, but imo the colour scheme on the bases doesn’t work because it looks to be the same red as they’ve used on the armour??

Does inspire me to paint my army up though! It would make that look small troops wise (though I need more war machines).

Cheers for posting.

Doombeard:

Thats an interesting watch! Nice to see an old Gorduz Backstabber model sitting on a thunderwolf. I actually just bought one from a bits company to try this out myself. I also thought about using a FW fire elemental as a K’daai and he looks pretty good. Not sure about the 4th edition hobgobs on fenrisian wolves, they need saddles as there were some gaps and daylight poking through there. Nice to see a unit of RA hobgobs all ranked up and painted.

I tried watching a CD battle rep by this guy to try and advertise / market their studio commission painting. I couldn’t finish it. I love how enthusiastic he is but he also doesn’t seem to know anything about CD’s. He has a ton of Rozmax’s RA Hobgobs there and doesn’t even know what they are… I’d hate to think of spending that much money on an army and trusting it to a bunch of guys who don’t know what they are doing to paint…especially when they are plugging themselves so much and saying what a great job they’ve done… kinda embarrassing

Doombeard:

Nice to watch this, but imo the colour scheme on the bases doesn't work because it looks to be the same red as they've used on the armour??

Does inspire me to paint my army up though! It would make that look small troops wise (though I need more war machines).

Cheers for posting.

Grimstonefire
They've also got a really dusted pigmenty feel to the bases, its lost its lava appearence and looks like red dust on Mars. Needs some gloss. Weird looking!

Malorndk:

Nice amount of models, but kinda boring paint job. Nice conversions as well. Thx for posting

tjub:

Haha, my girlfriend came home while watching this “…what are you wtching?! Sounds like some overly excited top model kinda guy.” :stuck_out_tongue:

But its a good looking army, nice conversions and the Khans looks ace! Need to get myself some thunder wolves asap. Btw, the Hobgoblin looked like they were RA?

Skink:

Btw, the Hobgoblin looked like they were RA?

tjub
Yep, RA. This guy also made (and reviewed) another CD army which, I reckon, looks much better. Let's see if I can find the link... Here it is! I watched the video months ago (and not going to see it again, that guy is just... Too "happy" about things :D), and don't know if this is shown in there, but one of the Castellans is converted from a regular IG with a Daemon Prince head (as helmet) and weapon (as GW). He looks great!

Doombeard:

Theres a battle rep with that army, I think its their own studio army which they made to sell/advertise/offer as a commission. This is the one used in the battle rep I mentioned, its in two parts, couldn’t finish the 2nd part. Nice guy & love his enthusiasm. Just sounds like Mr Garrison giving a CD demo! Heres Mr Hat! The fact they have 3 Magma cannons and 2 K’daai destroyers though makes you think someone knew what they were doing when they composed that list, very nasty looking & probably not fun to play against

Skink:

Just sounds like Mr Garrison giving a CD demo! Heres Mr Hat!

iamahobgoblin
Brilliant :D. The guy LOOKS like Mr.Garrison. Have some slaves sir.

tenebre:

hey… thats MY army. I did conversions, BTP painted. this army has NOT been used in a Batrep yet :wink: The BTP army is MUCH smaller

Missing 3 more models still to be painted (castellan, skullcracker and magma dragon)

Malorndk:

Thx Skink! Second army is way cooler

Doombeard:

Hi Tenebre! Looks like the same one - YouTube you sure? Congrats on putting together a nice army =) How was BTP to deal with? It looks like they only drybrushed the models? Like the Bale Taurus & also the Dreadquake for instance - is still black in most places with primer showing through and some of the crew have unpainted hats?..is that because its half finished at the time of that video? Did you post any pics anywhere on cdo we can look at?

tenebre:

Hi Tenebre! Looks like the same one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rebJjjs-8Ew you sure? Congrats on putting together a nice army =) How was BTP to deal with? It looks like they only drybrushed the models? Like the Bale Taurus &  also the Dreadquake for instance - is still black in most places with primer showing through and some of the crew have unpainted hats?...is that because its half finished at the time of that video? Did you post any pics anywhere on cdo we can look at?

iamahobgoblin
They say its done. im trying to make notes now.and i did point out both of those. anything else you see?

I dont think they are drybrushed the hires pics they look painted grey then dry brushed to make them ashy

Doombeard:

Ahh nice yeah always hard to tell with fuzzy cameras and what not. Not knocking it just interested in the way commission services work as judging by the size of their studio they are quite a big outfit. I think in general its pretty ok, the K’daai destroyers look good. The shield symbols on the infernal guard look a bit rushed, the freehand on them isn’t very well cared for or had much time taken on it and for a professional company you are paying for I might hope for a touch more definition or blending. The back half of the magma cannons suffers from much the same thing as the Dreadquake and Taurus, everything’s black and looks like only the skin on the crew is painted, looks half finished or super rushed. Looks like primer showing through. To be fair in the video he did say the army was still a wip I think. Its hard to know what level of painting you’ve paid for as well and what their prices / guidelines stipulate for each pay bracket.

I think for a basic paint job price bracket its acceptable or good, if they’ve charged you for the highest tier/bracket than I’d keep making more iterations until you are happy with it. The small details like the Castellan’s horns aren’t even painted for example. I would ask themt o give it a couple coats of satin varnish which will protect it all and also negate that matte drybrushy finish

tenebre:

Ahh nice yeah always hard to tell with fuzzy cameras and what not. Not knocking it just interested in the way commission services work as judging by the size of their studio they are quite a big outfit. I think in general its pretty ok, the K'daai destroyers look good. The shield symbols on the infernal guard look a bit rushed, the freehand on them isn't very well cared for or had much time taken on it and for a professional company you are paying for I might hope for a touch more definition or blending. The back half of the magma cannons suffers from much the same thing as the Dreadquake and Taurus, everything's black and looks like only the skin on the crew is painted, looks half finished or super rushed. Looks like primer showing through. To be fair in the video he did say the army was still a wip I think. Its hard to know what level of painting you've paid for as well and what their prices / guidelines stipulate for each pay bracket.

I think for a basic paint job price bracket its acceptable or good, if they've charged you for the highest tier/bracket than I'd keep making more iterations until you are happy with it. The small details like the Castellan's horns aren't even painted for example. I would ask themt o give it a couple coats of satin varnish which will protect it all and also negate that matte drybrushy finish

iamahobgoblin
That is the "final" product. They sent me the approval notice. I agree with what you said so far. I dont want them too shiny though since i feel the ash wastes would prevent too much glimmer.

they are all at 4 or 6 which means at minimum above standard
3 is what they call tabletop standard. even a single dwarf is not cheap. the painting costs more than the model.

once i get the final models in hand I will post a review of my experience. ;)

Doombeard:

awesome, look forward to hearing more!

tenebre:

in case anyone wonders … i had it painted because we were supposed to start a campaign in early September and I am busy working on my 40k 0rks so i knew i couldn’t get it painted in time. So I had the idea to get a commission.

Malorndk:

Hey man you don’t have to explain prepainted is entirely okay if you are busy or just enjoy the gaming aspect more than the painting aspect. I ended up buying an old, used (and gorgeous) prepainted army, and I don’t ever regret that decision.

Kera foehunter:

Im not found of forge world slaves of chaos dwarfs…I do like the army even the pole dancer from the stip club that always a +1 to the re role for leadership:o

tenebre:

Im not found of forge world slaves of chaos dwarfs..I do like the army even the pole dancer from the stip club that always a  +1 to the re role for leadership:o

Kera foehunter
the slaves are not from FW. various lines and some independent casts. The stripper slaves well... you would need to play with us to understand why they are required for that army. its an inside joke.

the slaves models pad the front line of the hobbos as meat shields (since i dont love the RA and i could never get remotely close to enough of the old GW bow hobbos) i decided to mix in some other models for a more fluffy and entertaining variation.