[Archive] Testing scale mail - updated w/ finished model

grimsnikk:

okay, so a few of you saw the quick test I did in the Ideas&Advice section on scale mail.��Anyway it was so quick to do that I scrounged up a spare dwarf and went to town.

I started off like normal, by blocking out the sections with a smooth layer of green stuff and trimming them to fit.��I then used the method I showed to put some quick scales on.��Wow, it goes really fast on the model itself.��The only spots where it gets a bit tricky are doing the very last row of scales.��Which was only a problem as I was using the regular dwarfs which have their armour contained between 2 strips, instead within a square.��If you were using BfSP dwarfs I don’t think that it would ba an issue.��Also, I had to pull an xacto knife out for the row before the belt because I couldn’t quite angle the tool correctly.��you wont really be able to see it once it has gear on him though

Anyway, on to the pictures.

(you’ll notice he doesn’t have a face yet, I’m letting the torso scales dry before I start sculpting the beard)

[/URL][edited to add new pics to the top of the thread]

Pictures: finished test model

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

hobblin:

Wow your concept work nicly now I feel I have to make a unit with scale mail.

Hobgobbler:

Looks great!

A whole unit of them should look stunning on the battle field

Cant wait to see more sculpting work from you

Arashi:

I will probably try it on my wolfriders. Thanks.

Xander:

That looks very nice! A very unique style, well done. I await the finished product!

Ishkur Cinderhat:

It looks like a lot of work, but the end result more than pays off for that. Personally I prefer the rectangular scales from a visual point of view, but the triangular scales are more like the real thing the Persian Cataphracts of Antiquity actually wore.

torn:

i cant decide which i look the look of better. ive kept the chainmail on my rank and file so far and used square scale on my hero. i might try the triangle scales if i do a unit or 2 of great weapons.

i think triangles probably go better if you arent using big hats, as you need another thing to differentiate from regular dwarfs.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I like both types, but have always preferred triangle scales visually (in general, at any rate). Where is the first attempt, please? I haven’t bee on in a few days and would like to try this on some models.

grimsnikk:

I added pics of the finished model to the top of the thread. I’m going for a evil version of the longbeards mask with mine. In fact, I may end up mixing some of their masks in later on to speed up the process. I’m not sure if I’ll keep the dwarf shield, maybe… maybe not. I think if I do it up evil looking the face shield will be alright. Also, I don’t have any marauder shield on hand.

hal:

Really excellent work grimsnikk, very precise. Is that just a normal dwarf warrior?

angryboy2k:

Nice work. I’ll be trying this on my second unit I think.

Steve

grimsnikk:

hal-

I used a normal dwarf torso and front, with the new miner arms. I replaced the hand at the wrist with a chaos warrior.

The miner sprue gives lots of extra arms, so if you replace them at the wrist you can make them look like they aren’t holding great weapons.

Khan!:

This guy looks really good - I am surprised to note that I think the dwarf shield actually looks pretty good as it is! It’s a pretty angry shield to begin with. The mask also looks fantastic, well done sir! :cheers

Arashi:

I love that evil mask grimsnikk :cheers

Ghrask Dragh:

Fantastic!!

The CD armour is supposed to be a ‘dragon scale’ design isn’t it? which this captures perfectly! I am going to put in alot practice so my minis can look half as good as this!!

Congrats Grimsnikk!

Yaanchy:

That looks so damn clean and cool :D, gonna TRY to make the same kinda scales on my dwarfs too.

clam:

I like it very much - and the ‘facejob’ is excellent!

Kobarf:

Your greenstuff-fu is very strong…

Very crisp scale mail, not an easy thing to do.

Love to see more of them though.

Kobarf