[Archive] The all comers fluff challenge

Dînadan:

Inspired by Geist’s rules challenge, I bring you this - the all comers fluff challenge. Anyone can ask any fluff question and anyone can answer it. Rules are:

The question must be a fluff/background question - no rules mechanic questions.

It must be on Warhammer Fantasy or Warhammer 40k (this includes games within those settings such as Mordheim, BFG, etc, alternate universes such as Blood Bowl, alternate timelines such as SoC vs ET, and historical such as HH).

It must be official - no fanfic (sorry Admiral ;P); official is any licenced work (Army Books/Codices, BL novels/background books/comics, WHFRP and Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/etc books of all editions, etc).

If you’re asking about a specific edition, then please specify.

When asking a question, the asker specifies how many slaves they’re putting up for grabs.

Questions should have a definitive answer; the exception is that the answer may be an opinion if it’s an opinion held in-universe in which case the question must specify that it is an opinion held in-universe and who holds it.

Okay to get things rolling, here’s an easy one:

Q) What is the name of the northern-most major settlement of the Dawi Zharr?

Reward - 2 slaves

Thommy H:

Uzkulak. There’s nothing further north than that in canon materials.

Dînadan:

Correct. I did say it was an easy one :wink:

Geist:

Ok here is my challanege question then.
According to 5th Ed fluff what created the plain of despair near Nagahs old home.
Hint it had to do with chaos dwarfs.
Reward to be based on quality of answer given.

Thommy H:

There’s no such place as the Plain of Despair. Inferring from context, it could have something to do with the Battle of Anurell’s Tomb which took place near the location you describe, but I can’t find any mention of it. Sorry!

Dînadan:

Maybe he’s referring to the Sea of Dread which is sometimes called the Sea of Despair?  Lexicanum also lists a place called The Pools of Despair in Nehekara if that’s (ie Nehekara) what he meant by ‘…near Nagash’s old home.’ rather than Nagashizzar (which is his current home unless I’m mistaken).

Geist:

Alright since you guys are stumped pull out your 5th Ed undead army books. That will help you greatly

Thommy H:

I don’t think anyone’s going to get this one - could you give us the answer? I don’t have the old Undead book, but Google turns up nothing but some fan-written fluff for a Dwarf army on some forum…

Dînadan:

I don't think anyone's going to get this one - could you give us the answer? I don't have the old Undead book, but Google turns up nothing but some fan-written fluff for a Dwarf army on some forum...

Thommy H
I found a PDF of one, but the closest I could find was the Plain of Bone which is described as the dragons' grave yard which has been polluted by the pollution blown down from the Chaos Dwarf industries; but I think that's still current fluff and has been reprinted in later editions rather than being a 5th ed specific thing (although 5th ed might be where it first cropped up). That being said, I only skim read it, so I might have overlooked something.

Thommy H:

Actually I haven’t seen that elsewhere - the current fluff for the Plain of Bone just says it used to be where dragons went to die, but since the Great Cataclysm they shun it. Vampires use the remains there to make zombie dragons. It therefore definitely predates the Chaos Dwarfs so I guess that version is no longer canon.

Geist:

I will have to give this one, as my own resource books have failed me. It’s a matter of I read it once and the material I read it in is now misplaced.

The location the blasted wastes. Close to Nagahs home but not so close as to be a give away.

The fluff, reason it is the blasted wastes is the chaos dwarfs in some very old fluff, fired a rocket so large it was to be akin to a MX missile. Problem was it didn’t launch it fell over and went off. It flattened the entire area known as the blasted wastes.

If I can ever find my book that had that it in the first place I will gladly share. For now it’s one of those lost pieces of knowledge.

Dînadan:

Didn’t the giant rocket level a slave camp after narrowly missing Zharr-Naggrund?  Fairly sure that’s quite a distance from anywhere Nagash set up shop.

Edit: just checked White Dwarf Presents: Chaos Dwarfs, and the fluff for Death Rockets states test fires are done in the Howling Wastes (which are the lands around Daemons. Stump) and the implication is that they didn’t move to there until after the giant missile misfired and blew up part of the Plain of Zharr.

Dînadan:

Okay, another easy question so this thread doesn’t die off.

Q) When (Imperial Calendar date) did mining of volcanic deposits at Gorgoth begin?

Reward - 2 slaves

Thommy H:

I seem to remember it being a significant one. I could look it up in a minute, but I’ll guess instead - I think it’s IC 1000.

Dînadan:

Nope, keep guessing.

Thommy H:

1400 was my second guess.

Dînadan:

Again incorrect.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Fuggit Khan:

I’ll throw in a couple of questions, just to add some Hobgoblin fun:

1) Who did Gorduz Backstabber stab in the game of crooked dice? (5 slaves)

2) And why did his victim not die after getting stabbed in the back? (5 slaves)

:h

Dînadan:

1. because of the boney hump that hobgoblins evolved to survive such things.

Edit: 1) he was called Tarka

Fuggit Khan:

2) because of the boney hump that hobgoblins evolved to survive such things.
Edit: 1) he was called Tarka

Dînadan
Yep, you are correct good sir! 10 slaves to you :hat off