[Archive] The big cavalry debate

AGPO:

There’s few things more cinematic than a cavalry charge. Pretty much all of us have a story of when our boys have come to the rescue over the hill to make the charge that turns the game. What I want to know is this: What are you’re favorite cavalry moments and what to your mind is the best cavalry unit in the game? You’re reasons can be to do with the fluff, the models, the statlines or even just the history of a given unit choice.

Personally my two favorites are Chaos Knights and Dragon Ogres. Dragon Ogres are uniquely Warhammer. The fluff is brilliantly Faustian and the unit itself is hard as nails. Witness the sheer number of high strength attacks, resistance to the charge and to being flanked, and their real dynamism. Chaos Knights are well, Chaos Knights! As long as I’ve been playing, Chaos Knights have been the definitial terrifying unit. Other mounted units have at times been harder, but everyone is scarred of the charge of the mounted warriors of chaos. Chosen Knights of Khorne in the last incarnation were my favorite, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, let the debate begin :cheers

furrie:

two words: chaos knights. I realy love them, they are strong and hard to kill, I take them in every battle that I play with my warriors of chaos.

Baggronor:

Blood Knights :slight_smile:

I once actually managed to get them into the right combat (damn frenzy:mad) and pop VanHel’s Danse Macabre so they re-rolled to hit. So 5 of them kicked out 15 Strength 7 and 10 Strength 4 Attacks with rerolls to hit. It was a bad day indeed for the Saurus Warriors who got charged :slight_smile:

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

i think chaos knights and blood knighys are a real tough unit but orc boar boys on the charge (espeical if they’re big’uns) get S5 attacks plus the boar which gets S5 as well plus max 18 charge and if there savage the get frenzy and a 6 plus ward save

so thats 2 S5 attacks they have a 2 plus AS

and frezy and a 6 plus ward save (if there savage)

thats a killer to most rounds of combat

Hrothgar Goldgreed:

Cavalry? Cavalry? Why do yer all need a beastie ‘ter make grandi’us gamechangin’ charge? Nuthin’ better than a skill’d Dwarf in finely crafted armour carrying fine-made weapons and a good sized shield! Imagin’ having twenty ‘o’ those lads! Horsies ‘r good fer food, nuthin’ more!

Haven’t played enough to comment on this, lol. It’s easy enough for me; all my lads have M3 :slight_smile:

Willmark:

Best cav unit in the game?

Arguably the best are hobgoblin wolfriders. Decent attacks, M9, 4+ saves, great cost for the points. And oh yeah they are core.

If they could be fielded in groups of 5, with spears or both it would be criminal; did I mention they are Core? :wink:

wallacer:

My favourite cav moment was when i was using my Lizardmen army and i decided to field Tichi Huichi’s Cold One riders, just to see what they were like.

Amazingly they managed to roll up the Entire Orc right flank all on their own (a unit of Boyz, a small unit of Boar Riders and 3 artillery pieces).

My opponent was somewhat shocked…

Kera foehunter:

Kera set this debate out !! only played dwarves no calv.

minty:

Dragon ogres…GW said they count as cavalry

I mean w3 s5 cavalry models, with 3 attacks each, causing fear with great weapons…yum:)

failing that, Rinoxen cavalry…hehehe, SMASH!

Vanvlak:

My Chaos knights’ most memorable moment - 3 taken out by a Dark Elf volley of crossbow bolts. Repeater crossbow, not bolt thrower. Urgh. Best cavalry would be the Snotling pump wagon, if it were cavalry, for nuisance value. Since it isn’t, I’d go for a tie between Dark Riders and Empire Handgunners.

minty:

ummm, empire handhuners are foot troops… do you mean outriders.

Vanvlak:

D’oh - sorry, that was BC* - and what I meant was pistoliers, although outriders fit in there too. :slight_smile:

*Before Coffee.

demonicprince20:

savage boar boys. They simply destroy on the charge XD

Willmark:

Boar boyz are indeed tough, all the more reason to point artillery their way…

Doogle:

Can’t always be done Willmark, especially if they are smart and using Spider Rider screens.

I would say Chaos Knights were my roughest, toughest meanest dudes around. I have fought many a battle with my chosen nurgle knights, and about 7 times out of 10 the enemy usually bounces off of them, if my knights don’t happen to get the charge. And they have sallied forth and saved the day many a time for my army.

I remember one time, I took a normal unit of nurgle knights plus lord, armed with great fang, helm of many eyes and w/e armor I decided to take, and the unit got flanked by a unit of cold one knights.

The cold one knights killed all me knights. Next phase, my lord turned around and killed all of them.

Wasted my knights, but they had pretty much already carved a path through the enemy ha.

Captain Crayon:

I love my Boar Boys :slight_smile:

I never leave home without them.

Normally fielded in a unit of at least 8 with full command.

Or wolf boys!

always take at least 3 units of 6 in a 2000 point game. though that might change a bit when i finally get around to painting my shiny new spider riders :slight_smile:

AGPO:

My favorite moment with chaos knights was taking the charge of a full lance formation of 12 complete with battle standard with 5 chosen knights of khorne and and aspiring champion. Not only did I not lose one model, I killed six, broke the unit and ran 'em down

Liam:

for me its the humble and honoured Empire knight, they have saved my ass on more than one occasion.

Auretious Taak:

Fanatics.

3 of my fanatics, Mad Cap Mushrooms, Vs. 10 Nurgle Knights and Nurgle Lord.

2 of my Fanatics hit, 1 missed, 8 Nurgle Knights down the drain.

Oh yeah, they were CHOSEN Nurgle Knights.

lol, 400-500 odd points destroyed by 60 odd points of Fanatics = WIN.

Oh those nurgle lads wiped out the rest of my battle line and I may have lost the day but it was the best image ever.

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

Fanatics.

3 of my fanatics, Mad Cap Mushrooms, Vs. 10 Nurgle Knights and Nurgle Lord.

2 of my Fanatics hit, 1 missed, 8 Nurgle Knights down the drain.

Oh yeah, they were CHOSEN Nurgle Knights.

lol, 400-500 odd points destroyed by 60 odd points of Fanatics = WIN.

Oh those nurgle lads wiped out the rest of my battle line and I may have lost the day but it was the best image ever.

Auretious Taak
fanatics are not cavalry:mad

although they are great

killed 6 grail knights and a plaquin then they killed a unit of kight of the rleam then moving onto a uint of quester knights which fled and then the poor fanatics hit a tree :h