[Archive] The big cavalry debate

Arakagaan Calasson:

The Gryphon Legion are oft underestimated. Panic tests on the charge? Yes please, sir…

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’ve not found cavalry to ever be the winning factor of a game for me. Rank and file for the win! :smiley: Then again, my playing style seems to be unique on this board :stuck_out_tongue:

As for favourites (taking cavalry to be a humanoid on a beast):

Models: Cold One Knights, but Chaos style (Chaos Marauders/Knights on the new Cold Ones).

Fluff: Cold One Knights (Vhrsha is awesome and the detail into the mentality of Cold Ones is great, as is the cruelty of their riders and mental instability).

Effectiveness: Black Knights (Fear, Unbreakable, Killing Blow, S6 charge).

Worst Cavalry:

Models: Ellyrian Reavers (Just ugly).

Fluff: Brettonians (it all blurs into one and is a little mundane) and Empire Outriders (why be able to move so fast if shooting is move-or-shoot? The Empire fluff isn’t so technologically advanced as to give their scouts machineguns and grenadelaunchers).

Effectiveness: Primarily Black Riders, secondarily Ellyrian Reavers (both are useless in almost every way, but BRs are replacable with MUCH better cavalry and Reavers

slev:

I play Skaven, with huge blocks of rank & file e.g. 40 Clanrats, 40 Skavenslaves, etc.

AGPO:

Worst Cavalry:
Models: Ellyrian Reavers (Just ugly).
Fluff: Brettonians (it all blurs into one and is a little mundane) and Empire Outriders (why be able to move so fast if shooting is move-or-shoot? The Empire fluff isn't so technologically advanced as to give their scouts machineguns and grenadelaunchers).
Effectiveness: Primarily Black Riders, secondarily Ellyrian Reavers (both are useless in almost every way, but BRs are replacable with MUCH better cavalry and Reavers

Hashut's Blessing
Dark riders uneffective? They were one of (if not the) best unit in the old dark elf list. I haven't read the new one, but as long as they're still fast cavalry and can take repeater crossbows I can't see how they've been nerfed. Your dark elf opponents obviously don't know how to use fast cavalry. Fast cavalry with march 18" and multiple shots has to be one of the best units in the game.

I agree with you about outriders - the tech with the empire has been taken a bit too far. Mechanical horses and grenade launchers are just silly. Cavalry with grenades would be a great idea, as would foot grenadiers. But why have they suddenly made the leap. There were multi barrelled handguns in our world, but the kick was so huge and they took so long to reload that they were shelved pretty quickly. I can't see them working on horseback, but it would explain the move and shoot rule. Just think of it as can't shoot and move and it makes more sense

Willmark:

Indeed the mirror images if the two elf light cav units have consistantly one of the best in the game.

From the high elf perspective reavers are now the second best unit of cav in the HE list. Dragon Princes 1st with Silver Helms now 3rd best.

Cryonicleech:

Da Best Kind a’ Cavarry iz da boyz on da Boars! WAAAAAGH!

if you ask me, my favorites are: Boar boys, Dark Riders/Reavers, Chaos/ Cold Ones, and Wolf Riders.

Hashut’s Blessing:

My opponents know how to use them, just they’re ineffecitve against Chaos :smiley: Too many points as a unit that will be killed in one, maybe two turns of combat and just give me extra combat res as a result.

As for the outriders, it makes sense, but it also makes them redundant. Why not simply have them just stand with the guns? If it’s so they can get into range of the enemy, have them as scouts…

AGPO:

I guess it allows them to shoot and then run away - they’re more manouverable

minty:

Worst Cavalry:
Effectiveness: Primarily Black Riders,

Hashut's Blessing
did you know, that makes me feel so muc like slapping you, the ultimate in march blocking and disruption, ld 8 meas they will raly after fleeing, leading the foe astray (do I cahrge the dark riders, knowing they'll get away and I'll be flanked next turn, or the unit, knowing I'll get rear charged unless I can wipe out that unit on one turn)

factor in there speed, save and repeater crossbows, and I'd rank them higher than hobgob riders.

Hashut’s Blessing:

minty, that may be the case, but they cost too much and die too simply. A single fireball effectively removes them from the game.

AGPO:

then its your job to make sure you dispel the fireball or shield them with terreign. No uit is good when its dead, every player has some games where his expensive units die early. Lords can be taken out with a lucky cannon ball in turn one. Thats 3-400 points down the drain in one shot.

Hashut’s Blessing:

True, Agpo, but even if they get to me, they seem not to do much and S3 against T4 and 4+AS doesn’t seem to much :wink: Chaos rocks, put simply…

I’ve just realised, and can’t believe I forgot, I find Chaos Knights HIGHLY overrated. They die too quickly and easily, no matter how much terrain and dispelling is used, for their points to make me feel they’re worthwhile (6th ed rules).

Auretious Taak:

Best moment - 10 Chosen Knights of Nurgle with Nurgle Lord and BSB charging into the flank of a unit of my Night Goblin Shortbow boyz with a shaman with mad Cap Mushrooms and 3 Fanatics hitting the unit. 2 Hit and wiped out a full 8 Chosen of Nurgle. If the last fanatic had hit, I would have wiped the unit but either way, nice way to get 400 easy victory points…My unit was annihilated next round and I can’t remember who won the game but that has stuck with me ever since.

Slavelord:

Bretonian get my vote, Lance formation rape my ogre kingdoms army :frowning:

Swissdictator:

The new Cold One Knights are my favorite figures for cavalry to date. I absolutely love them hands down. I’ve even considered doing a CoK heavy army as I love the figures, and it’d fit my DE invading Lustria/fighting Lizardmen theme.

Rules wise, while expensive… Chaos Knights are evil. Flat out evil. I recently faced a list with three units of them, though this was agreed to before hand (it was a “what the heck, let’s be crazy” moment).

Worst: I can’t stand the Saurus Cav (at least the figures I had owned), and I’m not overly impressed by them.
Tomb Kings cav (skeletal horse that is) doesn’t impress me. Fast cav that can never march, and lightly armored “heavy” cav… they may be able to be healed, but then you’re hampered slightly. The low points does help make up for it slightly. With new steeds, these figures could look cool. Then again I like the TK style personally.

grunts:

Blood knights. If you don’t kill them before they make it to you, you don’t kill them at all.  I had the unit reduced to 2 models and thanks to some magic item (can’t remember which one) the unit healed back to full after killing some of my dudes off the charge.  They then wiped out 2 blunderbuss units, an earthshaker, and a big block of warriors.

But the new chaos knights can be pretty good too. Give them mark of Khorne for 3 attacks each then add a blasted standard for a 5+ ward against shooting. Since they cause fear now, maybe go so far as to put a battle standard in the unit with the Doom Totem (-1 Ld for all enemy units in line of sight of the banner). huzzah!

Swissdictator:

Worse yet, if you roll right on the War shrine giving Chaos Knights the Eye of the Gods… +1 A… 4A each if Khorne

Willmark:

Bretonian get my vote, Lance formation rape my ogre kingdoms army :(

Slavelord
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

asheira:

fast cav

HOBGOBLIN WOLFRIDERS! 11-16 point per model fast cav at a 9 move, and w/ bows, makes them hit, prety much, Anything in the table, and they have a workable WS and S, so they my fav unit of Fast cav.

Heavy cavilry

Chosen chaos knights. 1+ Armor save, and WS/S 5 and 2 attacks, EVIL!!! I can never kill any of them, and i usualy can’t get any attacks off, cuz they kill off to many models.

AGPO:

HB - That’s what warhounds are for :wink: