[Archive] The Bodyguard and the Sorcerer-Prophet, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr

Admiral:

[align=center]The Bodyguard and the Sorcerer-Prophet, by Uhr-Kulmbizharr[/align]

Once upon a time, there was a bodyguard who served his revered Sorcerer-Prophet every waking hour of life. One day, the Sorcerer-Prophet was travelling with his entourage through the wilderness, when a mob of Goblin slingers ambushed them. Hesitating out of fear of death, the bodyguard raised his shield to protect himself, yet did not step forward at once to cover his liege from the barrage of stone and lead clumps. The Sorcerer-Prophet survived unscathed, yet his bodyguard was mortally wounded by several slingshots. The bodyguard lay dying.

“Strip him of arms and armour, then tie his body behind one of the oxen and let it drag on the ground. When we get back, we will throw it into the River Ruin without funerary rites,” said the Sorcerer-Prophet.

“But my lord, I have served you my whole life! Would you deny me my afterlife by drowning my corpse?” asked the bodyguard.

“Yes I would. When you failed to shield me at once with your own body, your fate was forfeit. What use is there for lessers who would not sacrifice themselves for their betters within a heartbeat? To hell with you!” replied the Sorcerer-Prophet. For such is the fate of those whose fear and doubt would hinder them to serve their masters completely.

- The Bodyguard and the Sorcerer-Prophet, by Daemonsmith Uhr-Kulmbizharr the Blind, the renowned Chaos Dwarf author of fable stories during the foundation of Zharr-Naggrund