[Archive] The Chalice Of Darkness

ross_lionheart:

Does anyone ever use the Chalice of darkness in smaller sized games? (1000 - 1500 points) Is it really worth Its points value?

metro_gnome:

7th ed has made the Chalice better in your magic phase… and worse in your opponents…
with self-dicing wizards our powerdice pool is constantly 2… while our dispel dice is still a full pool…
so a roll of 3 on the dice will only remove 2 power dice… while it takes a full 3 dispel dice…
for the same reason it can kneecap you if used defensively against anyone but tzeench-style powerdice armies…

with a low point level magic dedicated list it can be useful for and offensive magic phase…
tho you will still not be getting any high powerlevel spells off as you can only be using your own 2 dice…

not sure its worth 50 points… if it wasn’t an arcane item it would be tho…

Monty:

Its pretty bad IMO, at any point cost.

As metro has pointed out its not the worst in your casting phase (especially against scroll caddy armies) but is terrible when you rob yourself of preccious dispel dice…

metro_gnome:

if there were more bound spells it might do alright…

this question has got me thinking about the guy doing a 750 pair up with his missus’ necromancers…
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/5705
a sorceror with the chalice…
a necromancer with the book and periapt (or casket maybe)
a necromancer with staff of damnation (or rod)

makes for an interesting magic phase…
the necros only really wanna cast neheks… so loss of power dice is ok…
but the rest of the items (including the chalice) will drain all the dispel dice away…
Zombies!!!

Lord Zarkov:

Chalice can be quite vicious if you have enough magic

I use it in 2K with 1L4 and 1L2 and it works very well against most armies. It stuffes up most opponents when they have thier dispell dice massively cut (halved or worse in some cases) and gives me an almost free reign with my 6 remaining power dice and stones if I chose to use them

qwe50:

No its no good at all

think about it you and opponent lose 2 dices, but why not cast a fireball with you 2 dices and let the opponent try to dispel with his 2 dices and save the 50 points or better use them for 2 power scrolls.

I see the point in: if you have 8 dices and the opponent have 6 and you remove too then he cant dispel with 2x3 but i dont think thats worth 50 points

metro_gnome:

i have to agree… it only has specialized uses like the one up above…

and wouldn’t be very useful at 2K and above…

where the numbers of magic dice are beyond the point where 2-3 dice are gonna matter…

Uzkul Werit:

I don’t use it as I only really ever use two Lv2 Mages, who need all the magical defense they can muster. In a heavy magic army I could see it’s worth.