[Archive] The Daemonsmith's Handbook - Dreadquake Mortar

Jasko:

I’m still not really sure how to deal with the Quake! rule. Here is my problem:

1) Tamurkhan book (p180) says “[…] must pass a test exactly as if they were moving through Dangerous Terrain if they wish to move (including charging, reforming, characters leaving unit, etc) or use Move of Fire weapons […]”.

2) Rulebook (p117) says “When a model marches, charges, flees, overruns or pursues into or through an area of dangerous terrain, it is called upon to take a Dangerous Terrain test […]”.

So, the question now is: Does a unit have to take a Dangerous Terrain test if hit by the Quake! rule if it just wants to move normally? I would say: no, it doesn’t, normal move is fine. Basically the rule could be summed up with “units treat all terrain as dangerous terrain but also test if they want to use move or fire weapons”. But why did they not just write that? They opted for "[…] if they wish to move (including

Baader the Great:

I'm still not really sure how to deal with the Quake! rule. Here is my problem:

1) Tamurkhan book (p180) says "[...] must pass a test exactly as if they were moving through Dangerous Terrain if they wish to move (including charging, reforming, characters leaving unit, etc) or use Move of Fire weapons [...]".

2) Rulebook (p117) says "When a model marches, charges, flees, overruns or pursues into or through an area of dangerous terrain, it is called upon to take a Dangerous Terrain test [...]".

So, the question now is: Does a unit have to take a Dangerous Terrain test if hit by the Quake! rule if it just wants to move normally? I would say: no, it doesn't, normal move is fine. Basically the rule could be summed up with "units treat all terrain as dangerous terrain but also test if they want to use move or fire weapons". But why did they not just write that? They opted for "[...] if they wish to move (including

Jasko
The mortar's victims must make a Dangerous Terrain test if they move normally.

And here's why...

Yes, the normal Dangerous Terrain rule from the core rule book only refers to marching, fleeing, overruning, pursuing.

But IMO the Dreadquake Mortar rules make it very clear: "if they wish to move". For me, this includes normal movement as well.

In addition, it even says there that this includes "characters leaving units"... and as per the normal Dangerous Terrain rules from the core rule book, a character leaving a unit simply by moving wouldn't have to check for DT at all. But here it says he would! So they really mean all kind of movement.

However, I also believe that this is not true for the spell Ashstorm from the Lore Hashut (that works in a similar way). The spell's description does not say "if they wish to move", it simply tells you to treat all kind of terrain as DT.

So in my opinion...
Dreadquake Mortar > DT test for all kind of movement
Ashstorm > DT test only if you march, flee, overrun, pursue

Jasko:

The mortar's victims must make a Dangerous Terrain test if they move normally.

And here's why...

Yes, the normal Dangerous Terrain rule from the core rule book only refers to marching, fleeing, overruning, pursuing.

But IMO the Dreadquake Mortar rules make it very clear: "if they wish to move". For me, this includes normal movement as well.

In addition, it even says there that this includes "characters leaving units"... and as per the normal Dangerous Terrain rules from the core rule book, a character leaving a unit simply by moving wouldn't have to check for DT at all. But here it says he would! So they really mean all kind of movement.

However, I also believe that this is not true for the spell Ashstorm from the Lore Hashut (that works in a similar way). The spell's description does not say "if they wish to move", it simply tells you to treat all kind of terrain as DT.

So in my opinion...
Dreadquake Mortar > DT test for all kind of movement
Ashstorm > DT test only if you march, flee, overrun, pursue

Baader the Great
Excellent spot! I think you�?Tre absolutely right in this.

Hashut’s Blessing:

It is correct that it’s when they move normally. It starts by saying if they wish to move, but it also says they must pass the test when moving as though it were in Difficult Terrain - it doesn’t state that it is in Difficult Terrain or that only movement affected by Difficult Terrain is affected :slight_smile: