[Archive] The Dubai Ziggurat!

Xander:

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/08/the_dubai_ziggu.php

Pyramids and ziggurats represent an oddly survivable form of architecture. Built by civilizations such as the Egyptians, Mayans and Babylonians, several of these testaments to ancient ingenuity are still standing after thousands of years. Timelinks, a design firm based in Dubai, has unveiled plans to make a pyramid of its own �?" one that could house a million people, feature an efficient vertically-and-horizontally-running public transportation system, and generate all of the energy it needs.

It may sound like just another concept that’ll never be a reality, but Timelinks already set about patenting the design as well as the technology that would make it possible. The structure, nearly a whole square mile by design, would use a combination of steam, wind, and other alternative energy-gathering methods to keep itself entirely off the grid. There would also be “green spaces” that would provide the pyramidal city with agricultural space, to provide food and green-based commerce.

With so many designs out there for arcologies, it may be just a matter of time before the modern city is replaced by one of these carbon-neutral enclaves.
Nifty. :hat off

two_heads_talking:

man, I’d love to be able to draft/design that building… that looks awesome.

al-hashut:

Wow, i call the top bunk :stuck_out_tongue:

How far down in the ground is it sand in a desert? cos that thing must need one hell of a foundation

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

we can gather the CD :slight_smile:

Willmark:

Seriously that is quite an engineering feat.

Sojourn:

Oh Dubai… you’re over achievers and make everyone else look bad. so chill a little, k?

it looks shiny. I want a shiny home. :slight_smile:

cornixt:

On the same day that Astragoth appears:

BBC NEWS | Health | Robo-skeleton lets paralysed walk

al-hashut:

Searches the BBC archive for half bull, half man clones

Kera foehunter:

People that live in a glass Ziggurat should not have wild partys

Swissdictator:

Very cool idea. I love innovative ideas. I also love big dreams that are also practical!

rabotak:

I say we color it black!

Knight Of Awsome:

How much would something like that cost. Wwwaaaiiitt, thats almost like hive citys in 40k, hmmm

Hashut’s Blessing:

rabotak, that’d completely remove one of it’s primary self-sufficiencies (though it would look cool :stuck_out_tongue: ). Looks nice, but it seems to have random holes, he he he. Imagine that in England… Wouldn’t work :smiley: It’s about time someone patented a building that was covered in solar panels. I’ve had the idea for yonks, but I’m hardly in a position to be credible for designing something like that, he he he :smiley:

i’d love to throw a stone at it and watch it fall:P

Kera foehunter:

Good luck godbob!! i don’t see any rocks in that desert

Good luck godbob!! i don't see any rocks in that desert

Kera foehunter
a boy can try :)