[Archive] The Hobbit

Deebo:

I just heard on the radio today that “The Hobbit” Movie will be going into production in 2009!

About time!

I hope they do a good job of it and cant wait to see it, not exactly a Warhammer movie but eh still very cool.

Pyro Stick:

Wasnt there a big fight about wether or not Peter Jackson was going to be allowed to direct it? Im more excited about his Halo movie than The Hobbit

Revlid:

Wasnt there a big fight about wether or not Peter Jackson was going to be allowed to direct it? Im more excited about his Halo movie than The Hobbit

Pyro Stick
Psh, Jackson can go direct his second-rate FPS movie.

Del Toro's directing this one, baby, yeah!

Pyro Stick:

Pyro Stick
Psh, Jackson can go direct his second-rate FPS movie.

Del Toro's directing this one, baby, yeah!

Revlid
Halo had better be an awesome film.

Jackson is still involved in making the film.

The Hobbit Duology

It looks like they are going to make the hobbit and then a sequel which is set in between the hobbit and lotr.

Willmark:

Movies about video games have (generally) either been one of two things (sometimes both) A) A bomb at the box office or b) Poorly done. The few exceptions are Laura Croft and Resident evil. TR was successful because of Angela Jolie to a degree. Resident Evil because of zombies.

Hate to say it, but outside of the X-box gamers there isn’t much of a target audience for it. Unless they are casting Master Chief as  a hot chick. Could be wrong; in fact it would be cool to see in terms of special effects but that is what I’m expecting. A weak movie plot with a fixation with “just what can we do with these special effects”.

PJ is only Producing because of the long drawn out fight over who owed the movie right to the Hobbit.

Sojourn:

I hear there is drama surrounding whether or not it will EVER be made because JRR’s son, Christopher, says New Line still owes him/the estate MILLIONS of dollars from the LotR trilogy.

But I’m excited. I also hear they want James McAvoy for Bilbo I think… :slight_smile:

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

i don’t like the hobbit 'cos there are no big fight bit and that hy i watch movie or if it’s comdy

Viskar Zhragoth:

Posted by Godbob and his jolly rogers - Today 12:45 PM
i don't like the hobbit 'cos there are no big fight bit
No big fight? What about the Battle Of FIve Armies? Or the fight inside the goblin's lair with the Goblin King being struck down by Gandalf?

And while it is not chaos dwarves, it is basically 12 dwarves and bilbo going off on an adventure......

bmacclellan:

Action buffs will have to sit through a lot of the movie to wait for the spiders scene, the Goblin king scene, the Dragon attacking the lake men scene, and battle of five armies. I belive that those scenes will make up for the other parts.

I personaly liked the entire book, so I’m sure i’ll love the movie as long as it’s done well.

Pyro Stick:

Im definately going to have to re read this book because i cant remember most of the stuff that you are all talking about, apart from a bit of the spider scene.

Willmark:

Its a great re(read). I look forward to the day I can read it to my kids. Can’t imagine what the hell they are going to cover in the second movie…

Grish:

Heh, do you remember the Two Towers? Most of that was skipped over. If I remember right, in the book 3 pages were devoted to the battle of helm’s deep. And 50+ pages of walking with the ents through the forest. In the movie, completely different. Maybe 5 minutes if that about walking through the forest and a good half hour with the battle. They’ll do the same with the hobbit.

Knight Of Awsome:

And while it is not chaos dwarves, it is basically 12 dwarves and bilbo going off on an adventure......

Viskar Zhragoth
With a little video editing, i bet we could change that...:hat

Sounds like its going to be a cool movie, did you know that its one of my first books my dad ever read to me (I was really young, some were around 5-7 ), so its going to be really cool!

Kera foehunter:

I can’t wait to see the battle of 5 armys and smog!!!

Willmark:

Heh, do you remember the Two Towers? Most of that was skipped over. If I remember right, in the book 3 pages were devoted to the battle of helm's deep. And 50+ pages of walking with the ents through the forest. In the movie, completely different. Maybe 5 minutes if that about walking through the forest and a good half hour with the battle. They'll do the same with the hobbit.

Grish
Sure. I have very few gripes about the movies and were very well done. The problem is if the Hobbit takes up all movie 1 then what will be in movie 2... because what you just described is what happens between the Battle of the Five Armies and the slaying of Smaug and the star of the War of the Ring... not a whole hell of a lot.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Not a lot of anything official, to my knowledge. however, I’ll probably watch it because it has a dozen dwarfs and, other than a very tall man, they are th tallest :smiley: Dwarfs is just too cool :smiley:

Deebo:

Heh, do you remember the Two Towers?  Most of that was skipped over.  If I remember right, in the book 3 pages were devoted to the battle of helm's deep.  And 50+ pages of walking with the ents through the forest.  In the movie, completely different.  Maybe 5 minutes if that about walking through the forest and a good half hour with the battle.  They'll do the same with the hobbit.

Grish
Yeah, I have just finished watching all 3 again after re-reading the books and I was fairly dissapointed this time around, for smthing that was to supposedly follow the books to a T they sure skiped alot and not just in the 2 towers. There were also a few bits that they changed or completly made up but the bit that pissed me off most was the fact they completly skipped Tom Bombadil!
I must say I am glad there is a new bloke on this one and I hope he does a better job with the Hobbit. I cant wait to see Beorn shredding some gobbo's!

Hashut’s Blessing:

You have to accept that films will miss parts of books out. If it didn’t, you’d complain that it was too long or parts were boring. However, the making bits up is probably not necessary (I’ve never read the trilogy, only the hobbit).

Deebo:

Nahh I never complain about a long movie, but I do know what you mean, I am just an exception to the rule I gues, I dont know what is up with that though… if a movie is enjoyable then why not be long and enjoy it for as long as possible… I guess I am a little “Entish” in that regard.

Willmark:

... completely skipped Tom Bombadil!

Deebo
Tom had nothing to do or at least added nothing to either the book or or his absence from the movie. Quite honestly he is mt least favorite character.

Now if you want to talk about want the did with Faramir in the movie, I'm game.