[Archive] The Hunchback close-up

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hi guys!

Thought I’d post some updated close-up shots of my Hunchback of Notre Dame model. This is the 1/8th scale Polar Lights 1999 re-issue of the Aurora kit with a Posthumous Productions resin replacement head and plaque. The kit represents Lon Chaney SR’s portral of The Hunchback from the 1927 Silent Movie.

Here are 2 early “overall” pictures taken with our old Kodak Easyshare C315 camera. There’s no close-up feature on it.

And here’s the new Close Up shots taken with our new Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Please pay close attention to the painted details, especially on his back. I worked hard with the movie stills and various movie notations to get the look of extremely sunburnt skin as well as duplicate the ammount of hair Chaney attached to himself for the Hunchback. I also tried to get the 5:00 shadow effect on his face.

P.S. If I were to sell this model, do you think the new pictures would help sell this model on E-Bay as built by an expert model builder? (I’m not selling this one.)

Kera foehunter:

great paint job mr t !!nice whip marks on the back !!looks real

GRNDL:

The paintjob is very smooth. Very nice. Its very hard to paint at that scale - covering so much area and filling in the details while keeping the whole thing unified.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

@ Grndl - actually, I find the larger scale easier to work with because the parts are so big. The smaller GW stuff is harder because if you get the paint too thick, it fills in the little detail and looks “Chunky”.

Also, I have some figure model magazines and they show you how to paint in layers. For example, the Hunchback’s skin was painted a transperant red, followed by transparent orange, then transperant yellow before the transperant skin tones were painted on. This gives it the “Depth” of real skin.

ThanX Kera for the nice comments. I like to hear that my painting looks like real skin. It’s what I was going after.

Too bad I didn’t make my Bull Centaur in 1/8th scale! Then I could have loaded in the paint and really given everyone a run for their money! LOL!