[Archive] The Lead Casket

Bloodbeard:

The Lead Casket

The mine had never been a silent place �?" but now it was silent. The mine wasn’t a dark place �?" but now it was dark. For centuries slaves had toiled, lived and died down here. The Lead Casket, that was the name of the great mine with almost infinite lead veins. It had always been filled with the sound of hammering on stone, bodies breaking under heavy weight, slaves coughing up blood and dying to the bellowing screams of the Overseers. But now it was silent in the Casket. No longer did torches and corpsefires burn to light up the darkness of the mine.

The Dawi Zharr had been destined to chain the world and all other life should have been dominated by them. It was the will of Hashut and the will of the Dawi Zharr as a race. But their slow resolve and millinia long tactics had been too slow. The world was dying and not by the will of the Chaos Dwarfs.

Deep into the Lead Casket they had gone �?" gone to hide from an undefeatable enemy. Celestial bodies of poisonous green rock was raining down on The Dark Lands. They had been forced to hide and they were desperate �?" it was an unknown feeling to them.

The slaves had been driven towards the entry of the mine and the roof had been brought down, sealing the Casket and killing untold numbers of Greenskins and Men. Only a few slaves had been kept for the fires and marked as meat for the now starving Dawi Zharr.

Once again they were forced to the brink of extinction, once again they were forced to dig deep in search for salvation, trapped in a protecting Casket of Lead as the outside world was burned in the fires of The End Times.

Scribe’s Contest III, with the theme “The End Times”.

Dînadan:

Nice work - had my vote :hat off

Bloodbeard:

Nice work - had my vote :hat off

Dînadan
Thank you! I had the idea for the story pretty early, didn't get started until too late and didn't have time to write is quite as I wanted. Would have like some more description of the desperation felt down there.

But in the end I think it might have been a good thing, seeing as so many entries were very long.

Dînadan:

Well, now’s the perfect time to expand it and do a ‘directors cut’ version :wink:

Admiral:

Agreed on that, Dînadan! Well done and well deserved, Bloodbeard. :slight_smile:

DAGabriel:

Nice one, now one scientific question:

Are they alive in that casket or not?

Schroedingers Chaos Dwarfs?

Dînadan:

Nice one, now one scientific question:
Are they alive in that casket or not?
Schroedingers Chaos Dwarfs?

DAGabriel
Well, considering the casket probably doesn't exist anymore, I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. ;P