[Archive] The Legion of Vuzarak Sootveil

Dervish Helldance:

Vuzarak Sootveil will be my eventual Sorcerer Lord, and here I thought I’d post verious rules for his legion (which has yet to get a particular name). Note that these rules are made with Thommy H’s rulebook in mind.

Thought I’d begin with the Dervish (An extremely powerful K’daai bound by Vuzarak, fluff can be found here):
_____
[align=center]DERVISH HELLDANCE
(Lord Choice)[/align]

M WS BS S T W I A Ld Type
6 9 4 4 3 3 10 4 10 In (Special Character)

Magic Items:

Ironblaze (Magic Weapon)
This short sword does not seem like much to the world, but when held in the hands of the Helldancer, it starts glowing white hot as if it just had been forged.
Ignores armour saves. If the model wounded by Dervish has an armour save of 4+ or more, the wound is multiplied into D3 wounds.

The Aqshy Spiritcrown (Enchanted Item)
The golden crown of the K’daai Queen is socketed with the legendary Searing Ruby, a sculpted gemstone with an aura causing any mortal close to become extremely vulnerable to heat.
All models (friendly and enemy) except those with the Bound Daemon special rule within 12" of Dervish counts as Flammable.

Special Rules:
Bound Daemon, Fuelled by Fire

The Infernal Dance:
When at war, the Dervish moves with an impossible speed and an amazing agility, dodging almost every projectile or attack and striking down her enemies before they even sees her. Dervish has the Always Strike First special rule. In addition, she has a 3+ ward save, which is decreased to 4+ when in close combat. However, she may not join units.

Queen of the K’daai:
Unlike lesser fire spirits, Dervish is very intelligent and other K’daai instinctively sees her as their leader. She has the Inspiring Presence special rule, but it may only be used by Hellborn Constructs, Doomcannons and Infernal Engines. Dervish may not be your general.

I’m not completely sure what points cost she should have, thinking around 340, but I’m not very good at setting costs. What do you think?

Oh, and an illustration is to come.

Samanos:

isnt she a bit weak for a higher fire demon?

i would propably give her something like access to magic (fire and/or perhaps hashut) or something like that. i believe she definitely needs flaming attacks (she is a fire demon after all) and highe strength

how about you try to make her more like a kdaai (that would propably mean that she has to take some sort of characteristic test to retain her form or something.)

she doesnt really seem like a queen of fire demons right now if u know what i mean.

Dervish Helldance:

i would propably give her something like access to magic (fire and/or perhaps hashut) or something like that. i believe she definitely needs flaming attacks (she is a fire demon after all) and highe strength
I see your point - I did consider making her a wizard, might add that, however she not having flaming attacks was actually intended. Partially because of balance with the Spiritcrown (arguably a powerful item in such a flame-choked army like CD), and partially because of fluff. When she has taken the shape of the Helldancer, she appears to be a relatively normal human - the flames has taken solid form, so to speak. I was very much thinking about whether she would have flaming attacks or not, but frankly I am still not sure. Higher strength on the other hand sounds reasonable, so I'll add that. 5 or 6?
how about you try to make her more like a kdaai (that would propably mean that she has to take some sort of characteristic test to retain her form or something.)
I don't exactly understand here... Do you mean that she would be able to turn into a more "fire-elementalic" creature?
she doesnt really seem like a queen of fire demons right now if u know what i mean.
Yes, I understand. Though if you read the background text I wrote, you may have noticed she has several forms. It is however as the Helldancer she is bound to this world, and that is also what shape she takes when fighting

Thommy H:

She definitely needs Blazing Body - that Upgrade is only in there to represent K’daai! Otherwise she looks cool. My only concern is her high Leadership. Because Bound Daemons are Unbreakable, the only time they really need their Ld value is for Rampage tests, and the bigger the Bound Daemon, the lower I’ve made their Ld to represent them being less easy to control. So you don’t lose much by dropping her down to Infernal Engine levels, say (she won’t run from anything anyway…) but it better represents the risk of her bursting free from her confinement.

Also, while I like Inspiring Presence on her…it doesn’t actually do much for Bound Daemons! Again, the only time they really need to make a Ld test is for Rampage, and that’s done on the unit’s unmodified Ld anyway, so they don’t get to use her’s for that! Maybe something like the Daemonsmith’s Daemon Binder rule instead, so they can re-roll Rampage tests?

Dervish Helldance:

Yes, that makes sense, I suppose. It is true her high leadership isn’t needed that much, nor inspiring presence (didn’t notice that their leadership was unmodified on the rampage test)… It is manely that she is bound very “hard”, so to speak, so she isn’t very likely at all to break free. But blazing body would be logical (I had that on her at first), and after all - opponents with only 1 wound aren’t affected at all by being flammable, anyway… So lowered leadership perhaps to 9 or 8 I guess, strength 5, blazing body, and maybe that the Queen of the K’daai rule makes said units take one less wound when doing their unstable tests (as they wish to stay close to their queen)? What would be the points if so?

Thommy H:

With Blazing Body, Ld 8 and the Unstable modifying rule, she should cost about 350 points. I was actually assuming until I just read the rules more closely that she was a monster, not an ordinary character, so maybe you can disregard my comments about her Ld value. I haven’t read the fluff, but I quite like the idea of a giant, Kali-esque K’daai stomping around the place. It seems like the Queen of the K’daai should be at least as big as a Destroyer…

Dervish Helldance:

Well, she can be as big as a destroyer/infernal engine/whatever that size, however in the shape of the Helldancer she is not - but the K’daai still instinctively sees her as their queen. She is an agile warrior, not a gigantic stomper.:slight_smile:

But 350 you say, okay, something like this then:

M WS BS S T W I  A Ld Type
6   9   4   5 3 3 10 4 8 In (Special Character)

Magic Items:

Ironblaze (Magic Weapon)
This short sword does not seem like much to the world, but when held in the hands of the Helldancer, it starts glowing white hot as if it just had been forged.
Ignores armour saves. If the model wounded by Dervish has an armour save of 4+ or more, the wound is multiplied into D3 wounds.

The Aqshy Spiritcrown (Enchanted Item)
The silver crown of the K’daai Queen is socketed with the legendary Searing Ruby, a sculpted gemstone with an aura causing any mortal close to become extremely vulnerable to heat.
All models (friendly and enemy) except those with the Bound Daemon special rule within 12" of Dervish counts as Flammable.

Special Rules:
Bound Daemon, Fuelled by Fire, Blazing Body

The Infernal Dance:
When at war, the Dervish moves with an impossible speed and an amazing agility, dodging almost every projectile or attack and striking down her enemies before they even sees her. Dervish has the Always Strike First special rule. In addition, she has a 3+ ward save, which is decreased to 4+ when in close combat. However, she may not join units.

Queen of the K’daai:
Unlike lesser fire spirits, Dervish is very intelligent and other K’daai instinctively sees her as their leader, fiercely trying to remain at her side. Hellborn Constructs, Doomcannons and Infernal Engines within 12" of Dervish takes one less wound that usual because of the Unstable special rule when losing a combat. Dervish may not be your general.

Dervish Helldance:

Here’s an illustration of her: