[Archive] The mistery codex in 2010

lord balduron:

you mean breeze of chaos part two right?

Swissdictator:

I’m really hoping it is Chaos Dwarfs, I really am.

If it is 40k, sigh, let it be Dark Eldar… if not them, than Necrons.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I’d bet you it will be Dark Eldar. That book hasn’t been updated in years and you all know how “wonderful” 40 K is.

But hopefully it will be CD’s.

Swissdictator:

I was talking to Willmark and the WI group about this… how some armies got powerful in 7th… etc… originally stemming from talking about why hardly anyone played VC anymore in the Wisconsin area. This resulted in asking my local store if I could run 6E VC to run them in a way I like, that’s fun, thematic, and less nasty (for casual games).

Willmark pointed out that it seems books from odd editions get jacked up in terms of power normally. While even editions tend to be restrictive and more balanced. While there are exceptions (Orcs may have been made with 6E in mind), and you can have tough builds in even edition books… that does seem to be a trend.

So what I’m trying to say is… what if the ‘mystery codex’ is really something akin to Ravening Hordes? Perhaps not updating ALL armies, but SOME. Such as the ones who badly need it, the ones needing updates that are not big sellers, and some early 7E armies that are very powerful (VC and DoC perhaps)…

Perhaps this would be a way our beloved Dawi Zharr might also get updated without a major effort on the part of GW?

AGPO:

I doubt anything like ravening hordes will ever be done again… The orignial booklet was produced because 6th edition compltely invalidated all the old army books. If they had not bought it out you would have had to wait four years to field a wood elf army say.

The current lists are not unusable they are just underpowered. Funny thing is I can remember Dark Eldar being used as a power gamer’s army…

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I wonder how 8th will work out, seeing as most of the books from 6th just got updated into 7th, like Lizardmen and WoC, for example.

How much “Playability” will 7th ed books have in an 8th ed world? Why doesn’t GW just stick with 7th for a bit longer and bring all their books up to 7th standard (Including the eariler, unballanced 7th books mentioned by Swiss.) before going into another addition?

This would mean that 6th edition armies are now 2 editions behind the times…simular to Dark Eldar and Necrons being stuck in 4th edition while the rest of 40K has advanced.

The funny thing is…why DON’T they bring back Chaos Dwarfs as a good majority of the books, including upgrades, still keep referring to them. Obviously, GW doesn’t want CD’s to compleatly die from their world, but at the same time, they don’t seem to want them to thrive either. IT’s Illogical!

Henroth:

The new mistery codex or be Inquisition or Chaos Imperial Guard.

Bassman:

I wonder how 8th will work out, seeing as most of the books from 6th just got updated into 7th, like Lizardmen and WoC, for example.

Why doesn't GW just stick with 7th for a bit longer and bring all their books up to 7th standard (Including the eariler, unballanced 7th books mentioned by Swiss.) before going into another addition?

This would mean that 6th edition armies are now 2 editions behind the times....simular to Dark Eldar and Necrons being stuck in 4th edition while the rest of 40K has advanced.

Tarrakk Blackhand
Quote because me too does not really understand. I can imagine Games Workshop make more money from miniatures than actual books, so why do not upgrade EVERY army (hopefully Cds included) to 7th edition, sell more miniatures of each individual army and THEN move to another edition, upgrade again armies, sell more miniatures.... ad libitum ;)

If they upgrade the system every 8-10 years (except for evident failure of an edition) they have time to update most of the army books and let people buy more armies before moving to another edition without wasting resources to test new rules and plan a new edition.
Take them with a grain of salt, I'm not a manager, but sounds logical to me.

Grimstonefire:

I was thinking this as well the other day. GW always make money from the new edition, both from the boxed set with models and the rulebook(s). But also because I expect they will change the rules for rank bonuses again (as is already rumoured). So everyone will need to buy more models for all their armies.

The reason I read a while back was that it’s because it renews interest in the warhammer game as a whole…

There are several things they could do that would improve the game as a whole. One of them (as is rumoured) is that there will be 15 ‘official’ scenarios in the book (hopefully some of them I will be able to win with my dwarfs!) Hopefully they will also change the ward saves rules and nerf daemons.

AGPO:

I doubt they’ll change ward saves that much - it’d throw the points values of every book out of kilter. As for frequency of releases, 7th and 8th are more erratas for sixth, just as 5th was a review of 4th and 4th and 5th ed 40k were reviewed versions of 3rd ed. One of the big problems when I first started playing was ‘rules creep.’ Various rules for different scenarios, campaigns and armies were published in the rule book, battle book, army books, white dwarf, chapter approved/warhammer chronicles, the citadel journal, campaign supplements, magic (a seperate supplement back then with dozens of decks of cards), seige supplements, etc, etc. THat’s not to mention the near constant stream of FAQs and erratas explaining the compatability issues between all these resources! It was not unknown for a game to involve 10-12 books to cover everything, and you spent more time flicking through them than actually playing.

New editions allow GW to tidy up the rules issues raised by new publications and loopholes discovered by gamers, a few small changes to get rid of some of the more formulaic tactics (anyone remember ‘rhino rush?’) and improve the quality of the starter set. If there is a simillar step up between skull pass and the 8th ed starter set it’ll be a must buy. I’m honestly not bothered about buying a new starter set every 5 years - they’re very good value and if you just want the new rules the little rulebooks go for less than £5 on ebay.

slev:

One more thing to bare in mind is that from about a year in advance of a new rule set, the army books are written with the aim of being forward-compatible. The actual figure varies a little, especially depending on how big a change we’re talkning about between rules sets.

WFB has fifteen full armies, plus two fallen-by-the-wayside armies (DoW & CD). with 3-4 releases of WFB books per year, they can do this in just over four years, ensuring the books are all sufficiently current.

WFB has a similar set-up, but with only twelve main armies. Variants on the Inquisition and Marines mean that there are effectively as many as there are WFB armies though, so it works out the same.

Baggronor:

Ranks becoming more powerful would hopefully nerf the current ward-save-toting super-infantry trend. Although it may be utterly negated by the ‘hitting everyone touched’ template rules that are also rumoured. If that one is true, then my Chaos Dwarfs are definitely making a comeback :slight_smile:

I doubt they’ll change ward saves that much - it’d throw the points values of every book out of kilter.
I wonder how they would change them? Make them negated by magic attacks perhaps? That would nerf DoC but would also remove a large part of the point of having ward saves for characters (when some mega-killy Lord dude tries to pull your head off, you get some kind of save). Hmm.
The reason I read a while back was that it’s because it renews interest in the warhammer game as a whole…
Not just that but everyone who plays Warhammer has to buy a new book.

Grimstonefire:

I was thinking they could have a rank and file ward save, and something more specific for lord and hero level.

For instance.

Core, Special, Rare slots. Any of these that have ward saves may only take them against attacks (missile or combat) that are S7 or below. Heroes can take the test against S9 or below. Lords against S10 or below.

Something like that. It would mean most of the daemon army could be taken down with an unhealthy amount of war machines, but it would have little change from the current unit on unit combat.

Baggronor:

For instance.

Core, Special, Rare slots. Any of these that have ward saves may only take them against attacks (missile or combat) that are S7 or below. Heroes can take the test against S9 or below. Lords against S10 or below.

Something like that. It would mean most of the daemon army could be taken down with an unhealthy amount of war machines, but it would have little change from the current unit on unit combat.
Hmm interesting. I would have just said ward saves are negated by magic attacks, except those ward saves gained from items/gifts that have been specifically enchanted, or summink. I really think the unit-on-unit combat is where the change is most needed. Magic attack-toting units would become awesomeness. Although Daemons would annihilate other Daemons.... Hmmmm :)

Willmark:

I doubt anything like ravening hordes will ever be done again.. The orignial booklet was produced because 6th edition compltely invalidated all the old army books. If they had not bought it out you would have had to wait four years to field a wood elf army say.

The current lists are not unusable they are just underpowered. Funny thing is I can remember Dark Eldar being used as a power gamer's army...

AGPO
I disagree GW uses Ravening Hordes whenever they do a major edition switch like 5th to 6th; they also did it when they went from 3rd to 4th. The have used the name for earlier supplements in the 80s as well.

Will they do it again? I doubt it but you never know.

BilboBaggins:

Gw has stated in White Dwarf about doing a major change that requires all books to be revised will not happen again.

But then GW also said that 7th edition was going to balance the books, then they release DoC and VC. :smiley:

AGPO:

Hopefully the next edition will see early revamps for DoC and VC to bring them into line. The power creep with progressive editions gets infuriating because it’s self perpetuating.

Baggronor:

Hopefully the next edition will see early revamps for DoC and VC to bring them into line.
Have said it before, will say it again: VCs are tier 2, along with Lizards. DEs and DoC are the top dogs :)

I would much rather see other armies get a revamp rather than redoing 2 books that were only released in the last 2 years. That will bring them into line as much as anything else.

I doubt we'll see another Ravening Hordes either, it must hurt the sales.

slev:

RH helped the sales of 6th in practicality, but people where gagging for the “proper” lists once they saw how awesome the newer stuff was.

BilboBaggins:

But 6th edition was a radical departure from 5th that they needed Ravening Hordes as a stop gap until the new books were released. Do you think the Skaven and Beastmen players would be happy buying a new book and having it unusable in less than a year?