[Archive] The Penguin's non-cd Miniatures and Terrain

The_Penguin:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! :cheers

Long time no posts on this forum. Why? mostly because I got preoccupied with non-cd projects, and so today I would like to show you some of my latest creations. Tell me what you think. )

Golden Sands Army

(Created for Mantic Gmes Kings of war, actually. But heavily inspired by WH Araby.)

Spearmen

(Note the curved ornate armour and turbans. The colour of the shield is supposed to show that it’s glowing with magic.)

Magical Artillery Pyramid

(A hovering automatic pyramid that shoots bolts of magical energy, what can be better? Inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic 7 concept art.)

Harem Widows

(Only very rich merchants or famous warlords, or powerful sorcerers can afford to have harems. Unfortunately some of them fall in battles (be it trade wars, or conflicts with other races) so women from harems have an obligation to take revenge on those who killed their master. Such women form the s.c. Harem Widows regiments and are not allowed to get freedom until they have their revenge. Many fall in battles, but those who survive earn their freedom. Some join other harems, some retire…

For those regiments I use standard sisterhood rules. Note the converted figures. )

Bronze Golems

(Wizards of armies of the Golden Sands Desert (that’s how I call them now ) use magic intensively. And since magic gives almost limitless opportunities for those wise and talented enough to handle it, battle golems are a common sight in such armies. At first glance it may seem that mages do not look after them much: some golems are rusted and scratched. But in fact it is almost impossible to destroy a golem. It can be rebuilt again and again almost infinitely. So most golems are centuries old and despite their long service are not even a bit less efficient.)

Golden Sands Battle Mage

(Perhaps one of my most favorite converted figure that I’ve made. This battle mage is flying on a magic carpet with a pillow and his hookah to have some rest during long journeys. Some say that it is actually a lamp with a genie inside. Female genie.)

General Shot

(A typical picture one can see in Golden Sands Desert: A powerful mage with golem bodyguards and Harem Widows that desided to join him. )

The_Penguin:

And another batch:

The_Penguin:

More to follow, should you be interested, ladies and gentlemen! ) :hat off

Jackswift:

This is a wonderfully executed themed army. The paint job and paint scheme look awesome and the amazing detail on the floors and added unit filler items such as the golem technician, the basket of grapes, etc really take the entire thing up a notch. Awesome job. Would love to face across from this on the tabletop! Well done!

Helblindi:

I too am in awe :slight_smile:

Awesome army!

Pappa Midnight:

Wow! The flying carpet just gave me flash-backs to being a kid watching “Arabian Knights” on TV.

Excellent themed army with a great choice of minis and lovely painting. That floating HQ is genius!!!

Regards

PM

The_Penguin:

This is a wonderfully executed themed army. The paint job and paint scheme look awesome and the amazing detail on the floors and added unit filler items such as the golem technician, the basket of grapes, etc really take the entire thing up a notch. Awesome job. Would love to face across from this on the tabletop! Well done!

Jackswift
Thank you very much. I am most obliged. ) :cheers
I have played several games with this army. Every time I won. Magic! :)
I too am in awe :)

Awesome army!

Helblindi
You are too kind! :cheers Thanks a lot! Hopefully you'll like my upcoming figures!
Wow! The flying carpet just gave me flash-backs to being a kid watching "Arabian Knights" on TV.
Excellent themed army with a great choice of minis and lovely painting. That floating HQ is genius!!!

Pappa Midnight
Yes, it was inspired by Disney and other fairy-tales of the Arabic mythology.

Well, I can't say I am very good at miniatures painting, I always feel I could've done better. :~ But I guess I am ok with terrain more or less. :shy:

Thank you very much! :hat off

The_Penguin:

Please take away your Dawi-Zharr beardlings from the screen! No horns, bighats or teeth ahead!

And now, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present you my regular dwarven army. Those bighatless freaks! :~

Admiral:

As previously said, your Araby terrain and units are wondroussly crafted. Your Dwarf army makes Mantic Dwarves and Dwarf Wars miniatures blend together effortlessly. Good paintjob on them! Could there uncorrupted Dwarves be the first miniatures from you which is not based on the opulent decadence theme? :wink:

Bloodbeard:

I love your Arabian inspired human force, so glad you decided to share it with us here on CDO. It has so many small details and absolutely magical conversions.

The flying carpet mage and the djinns are perfect!

You’re a great hobbyist Penguin. The small extra miniatures and all the themed terrain - so cool.

The_Penguin:

As previously said, your Araby terrain and units are wondroussly crafted. Your Dwarf army makes Mantic Dwarves and Dwarf Wars miniatures blend together effortlessly. Good paintjob on them! Could there uncorrupted Dwarves be the first miniatures from you which is not based on the opulent decadence theme? ;)

Admiral
Thank you very much Admiral! You praise of my humble attempts are very flattering and inspiring!

Haha! Yes, they are somewhat less opulent and decadent than the rest of my armies. :) but according to my fluff they are no more than just an expedition force of a very greedy and ambitious young dwarf thane. So his wealth, opulence and decadency are still ahead! :D
I love your Arabian inspired human force, so glad you decided to share it with us here on CDO. It has so many small details and absolutely magical conversions.

The flying carpet mage and the djinns are perfect!

You're a great hobbyist Penguin. The small extra miniatures and all the themed terrain - so cool.

Bloodbeard
Thank you very much! You are too kind! I don't think I posess some special painting, converting or sculpting abilities, but, yes, I like my hobby and follow it with passion. I am glad that you, guys, find it worth your time to look at. ) :cheers

The_Penguin:

Another small batch. ) :wink:

Abecedar:

Great stuff. As has been said, thematically its brilliant and very well executed

Helblindi:

I love the little stories you add to these pieces! Great work!

The_Penguin:

Thank you guys! Much appreciated! :hat off

Another batch is here! This time it is WHFB-oriented. I wanted to create some bits of terrain that would reflect the period of Ludwig II. Opulent, decadent and degrading armies, are somewhat of my spiciality, I guess! :slight_smile:

Admiral:

Very good work on the inn. The details are what make this such a splendid terrain piece. The chain-supported chimney is something I first saw in Warhammer Online’s concept artwork if I remember correctly, and is very Warhammer. Will further renaissance buildings follow Ludwig II’s fantasy style? I’m particularly curious if you’ve got plans for mansions or lofty castles or lone towers where princesses are locked in, or grimmer stuff.

Abecedar:

Great work. The details really make it.

With the light glowing through the windows, I think you missed it spilling out from under the door.

All the fantasy novels I’ve red always say stuff about the light from the tavern door… And the noise and smell

The_Penguin:

Just a small update. :hat off

Admiral:

Brilliant work on the Elf dwelling! The ornaments lift it a lot, and I hope to come upon such decorations for terrain work myself in the future. The paint scheme works well with the ornaments, too! Looking forward to see future houses and ships from you, as well as armies and vignettes. Neat Dwarf house, too!

Abecedar:

nice work. it is the details that make things grander